Australian Cycling Forums Strava Group

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australian Cycling Forums Strava Group

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks to Shane Black, a Strava group has been running for the Australian Cycling Forums for a number of years. Now it is time to raise a bit more attention to the group and invite members to join the group.

Australian Cycling Forums Strava Club
For the forums, I am now raising the profile of the Australian Cycling Forums Strava Club.

A bit about Strava
Strava is a very convenient app (ios and adroid) which I have found to be fun and lets me connect to different groups of riders - to see how they are going, compare rides and also attempt to get some KOMs... or PBs (Personal Bests). The premise is that your rides are records and details can be seen such as your route, speed and other connected data. The 'free' version of the Strava app is fairly comprehensive and useful... if you are competitive and more serious about training, the paid version offers more features. But in plain-speak, the free version is pretty good in terms of features and let's you get involved.

Joining Strava and Privacy
It is free to join the group and you can see other members from the forum. Real names are used so there may not be an immediate connection to the forum profile (which is fine). As a tip, in the settings you can set a zone where data is not tracked so, for example, your home location can't be seen via your Strava data which is in the public sphere.

Membership Policy
It is a fairly open policy towards membership - generally the Australian connection is required as there are a lot of KOM-hunters (strava trolls) from overseas who join groups purely for kudos and these type of numbnuts will be kicked out. Also people without proper names or locations will also be booted to give the genuine members a chance to shine.

Your Title Photo
For the group - there is a nice big picture... currently with me. Members are welcome to send in their own good-quality and exciting pictures to be swapped over and be the title image for a while.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Re: Australian Cycling Forums Strava Group

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 am

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Been in it for a while, never noticed an issue about the name as my name in Strava is DavidSSS.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:33 am

I’ve joined, but as I have the privacy settings right and 99%of my rides are not public, does the data show up in the club ?

How can that be seen (or not) ? My Strava is is MB

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 am

I checked the member list and it is not shown so not sure if much will show up. So I understand you can be part of the club but no one will know or see anything.

It is a choice and you need to prioritise what you feel is right for you.
Cycling is in my BNA

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:53 pm

I Joined Strava. Slowly starting to figure out how it works and managed a couple of manual entries..

I enter the distance in Kilometers and it records in Miles on the dashboard.

I am a numby when it comes to aps on my phone. I cant seem to download the Android AP.

Grrrrrr Its driving me nuts.
Eat less. Move more and keep breathing.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 pm

joined. someone has to bring up the rear.... :D
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 am

Actually, with drafting, the lead rider has an aerodynamic benefit from the following riders, so it is an important role!
Cycling is in my BNA