Your Privacy on Bicycles Network Australia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your Privacy on Bicycles Network Australia

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 pm

As a result of big companies who have been using customer and contact data unethically, the EU has now enacted a new law known as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which has come into force today.

The two most important things to know about your data on Bicycles Network Australia (BNA):

1. The way your data is protected will remain the same, since this website started in 1999, the policy and practices for user data and protecting privacy have been maintained and serve the interests of the community. User data is never sold or shared and care is taken to protect personal information.

2. Bicycles Network Australia is not under European jurisdiction however we are show transparency which data is collected and how it is used or stored in the Privacy and Data Protection Notice. Anyone who has submitted data (Australian Cycling Forum, Website Comments, Newsletter) can request amendment or deletion if they have concerns.

In addition to the data protection notice, as a reminder, forum members agree with the terms and conditions of this site and forum rules which allow posts with your submit to be hosted and published on this site.

Practical Info and Tips on Privacy

Choose a member name that is not your own name. You can request a member name change (send me a private message).

Your email address is not publicly visible however moderators can view member emails and IP addresses, the primary purpose is blocking and removing spammers.

Any personal or identifying information you choose to share is published and visible to website visitors. Also, search engines and other external systems can store a permanent copy of content on this website over which we have no control. Consider which information you chose to share and avoid sharing private information about other people.

Any information sent to other members in private messages is only accessible to the sender and recipient(s) so is not publicly visible. Care should still be taken to ensure that the recipient will also respect your privacy and not misuse any information provided.

Bicycles Network Australia has a regular newsletter, a forum news and email notifications (for forum activity). You can opt-out of the regular newsletter and in your forum (user control panel) you can modify the settings and whether you receive the forum news and notifications. If you are wondering, we have not sent any newsletters out for some time.

If you have any concerns about information you have posted, specifically if there are privacy concerns or legal concerns, please contact me (info@bicycles.net.au). We prefer to keep the context of posted content intact and support members to make amendments or changes as necessary.

Questions

As the admin / founder, I welcome any questions or queries. As a side-note, I have also been implementing the GDPR compliance for a number of European based businesses so can also share some other details on the law though in advance will say that there is a lot of uncertainty among business at the moment about what is or is not acceptable or who / what needs to demonstrate compliance.
Cycling is in my BNA

silentC

Re: Your Privacy on Bicycles Network Australia

Postby silentC » Fri May 25, 2018 5:22 pm

>there is a lot of uncertainty among business at the moment about what is or is not acceptable or who / what needs to demonstrate compliance

You can say that again.

However it has been quite lucrative for software developers, almost as good as Y2K and on a par with GST :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Fri May 25, 2018 5:25 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Any personal or identifying information you choose to share is published and visible to website visitors.
Thank you, Sir. If I may explain the reason why I have chosen to generalise on locations and chose a username based on my last Christmas bike, (which currently in bits again), it is not because I want to hide my identity from the members of this forum. It is because I don't want everyone else on the Internet to know where I live or where I ride. I'll be authentic by PM if I trust someone here, which I tend to do already because we all like bikes so we're all on the same side on that aim. Thank you.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 25, 2018 5:39 pm

A number of years ago when we had BNA kit and it was worn a lot, there was a game of 'spot the BNA member'.
Cycling is in my BNA