Page 1 of 1

Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 am
by popoy

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 am
by MarkG
At least the Venge isn't on that list!

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:47 am
by reefer
I like this bit from the recall:

Manufacturer: Topkey, of Taiwan for the forks; and Merida Industry Co. Ltd., of Taiwan for the bicycles.


I was in my local LBS the other day and they were bagging the Merida brand saying Specialized were a much better built.

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:19 pm
by Baldy
reefer wrote:I like this bit from the recall:

Manufacturer: Topkey, of Taiwan for the forks; and Merida Industry Co. Ltd., of Taiwan for the bicycles.


I was in my local LBS the other day and they were bagging the Merida brand saying Specialized were a much better built.


You realise that Merida Industry Co.Ltd can build you whatever quality bike you want. As long as your pockets are deep enough and you meet the minimum number for an order.

Are all Specialized better than all Merida's. No! Are the best Specialized better than the best Merida. Yes. :P

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:57 pm
by Howzat
Specialized had a recall last year for the exact same problem on their Globe sub-brand of city bikes.

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:57 pm
by MarkG
Its a well known fact Merida owns a portion of Specialized ..

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 pm
by biker jk
MarkG wrote:Its a well known fact Merida owns a portion of Specialized ..


Yes the only unknown is whether they own 50% or more. That Specialized commercial featuring Contador and Schleck would have been even funnier if Contador says "I ride Specialized" and Andy retorts with "I ride Merida".

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm
by MarkG

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm
by biker jk


They bought 49% in 2001 but this has been diluted to around 33%.

http://cyclingiq.com/2012/03/14/meridas-tour-de-france-ambition/

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm
by MN GLXR
I heard Merida bought a share back in 2001 to save Speczld from going bust?

My LBS said the recalled bikes need to go to Melb for testing if the forks do not have a small hologram QC sticker at the top inside of the fork above tyre.

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 pm
by MarkG
Speccy nearly went bust in the 90s, before the Merida % buyout

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm
by Aushiker
The recall has now been extended to Australia and covers the 2012 and 2013 Tarmac SL4, 2013 Crux and 2013 Secteur Disk models.

Also if you have registered your details with Specialized you should receive a postcard from them which entitles you to a $100 store credit towards the purchase of Specialized branded merchandise when you return your bike for rectification of the fault. A nice little compensator for the hassle.

Andrew

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 pm
by zancs
Aushiker wrote:The recall has now been extended to Australia and covers the 2012 and 2013 Tarmac SL4, 2013 Crux and 2013 Secteur Disk models.

Also if you have registered your details with Specialized you should receive a postcard from them which entitles you to a $100 store credit towards the purchase of Specialized branded merchandise when you return your bike for rectification of the fault. A nice little compensator for the hassle.

Andrew


After reading about the $100 store credit, I was wondering how they were going to deal with that. I dropped my bike in on Saturday and the guy said nothing about it. I registered my bike a while back. This would be nice to receive a little compensator. The ACCC warning only came out on the 29th which wasn't long ago. Be interesting to see how this is handled.

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:12 pm
by Le Mong
So do recently purchased bikes need to go back for this?

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 pm
by Bob_TAS
This makes me a *tad* nervous as my 2014 Tarmac SL4 is due any day now.

I know that this recall is for prior model years, but still...

Edit: Contacted my LBS and they've informed me that it appears to only apply to US models at this stage.

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 am
by Aushiker
Bob_TAS wrote:Edit: Contacted my LBS and they've informed me that it appears to only apply to US models at this stage.


Your LBS needs to get up to date ...http://aushiker.com/specialized-bicycles-recall/ The recall applies in Australia as well; in fact since February 2013.

Andrew

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 pm
by Bob_TAS
Aushiker wrote:
Bob_TAS wrote:Edit: Contacted my LBS and they've informed me that it appears to only apply to US models at this stage.


Your LBS needs to get up to date ...http://aushiker.com/specialized-bicycles-recall/ The recall applies in Australia as well; in fact since February 2013.

Andrew


Cheers for the heads up, will be sure to discuss it with them when I head in tomorrow to pick up my new bike

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am
by briztoon
Well seeing as Specialised are aware of the problem, and the recall was for previous years models, I highly doubt that they put any of the faulty forks on the 2014 models.

Re: Specialized Bicycles RECALL

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:31 pm
by eldavo
At least not with the same fault ;)