- Posts: 3
- Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm
First time post, so please go easy.
I'm about to buy a bike for around town and the odd longer ride. Haven't ridden since I was a kid (am 36 now).
Anyway, I have been lurking around some bike shops and really like the specialized secteur expert disc http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/secteur/secteur-expert-disc
Now, I went to one bike shop, they put me on a 52 and said it was perfect, although it felt cramped. I went to another bike shop and tried a 54 and they said it was spot after they installed a 90mm stem on it and put me on the trainer. I told him about how I tried a 52 and found it cramped. He said at 174cm, I am on the cusp of both sizes, but it would be silly to put a long stem on a 52 and better to put a short stem on the 54.
I am confused now, I think I could go either way in regards to size. I did notice my toe hitting the front wheel on the 52 though. Which is better? A smaller bike with a 110mm stem, or bigger bike with a 90mm stem? Or should I go to a different store? Problem is most stores don't stock both Med and Small sizings, so hard to try side-by-side.
- Posts: 302
- Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:24 am
Size 52 with 100mm stem = Size 54 with 90mm stem in terms of overall reach.
Which size should you get? There is no right answer here. Most people would say go for the smaller frame, but I'd go for whatever feels more comfortable.
Some addition notes:
- A longer stem puts more weight over the front wheel, a shorter stem the opposite. This can affect handling at he extremes, i.e. 140mm or 70mm. Between the range of a 90mm and 100m (as in this case), it will have negligible effect over handling.
- The 52 will be slightly more aero as it has a shorter headtube, whereas the 54 will be slightly more upright and more comfortable.
If you prefer more upright, go with the 54 otherwise go with the 52.
- Posts: 196
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 am
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.
- Posts: 176
- Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:41 pm
- Posts: 1208
- Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm
Kona Hei Hei DL
Cannondale Synapse Ultegra disc 3
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Cell Bikes
- Malvern Star
- Santa Cruz
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.