Specialized Owners Please Read

doggatas

Specialized Owners Please Read

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:26 am

I am getting my Tarmac frame hopefully tomorrow and as the excitement builds I have been reading the various Specialized technical documents that are relevant to my purchase. I have pasted the bit that concerns me below:

NON-SPECIALIZED BRANDED STEMS:
Specialized recommends against the use of non-Specialized-branded stems with large bore holes in contact with the steerer tube. Large bore holes reduce the clamping surface area and may concentrate the load onto the carbon steerer tube in an unsafe manner.
As we cannot test every combination, Specialized does not warrant the use of non-Specialized branded stems with Specialized forks (carbon steerer tubes) and Specialized Long Steerer Expander Plugs, unless specified as original equipment by Specialized. Specialized hereby disclaims all warranties, including the warranties of fitness for particular purpose and merchantibility.

Does this mean I have to use a Specialized stem in order for the warranty to be valid? Just looking at a few of the pro team Tarmacs, some are running Zipp and some are running FSA stems. I am not too concerned about the safety aspect as I am aware this is Specialized simply covering their asses, I've seen 100s of riders running non-Specialized stems without issue. I am concerned however about voiding my warranty.

Anyone had any warranty issues because they weren't running a Specialized stem?

Baldy

Re: Specialized Owners Please Read

Postby Baldy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:38 am

Good question, I have a Zipp on mine.

If its a game of arse covering then just having a Specialized stem in a drawer at home should do the trick.

Tell Mike S. He will come around to your house, make you a cuppa and adjust the tension on your stem bolts.

Or Tweet something, people love tweets.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:56 am

As above, keep a normal stem and then if it breaks take it off and replace with the spesh stem. How would they ever know?
Last edited by Calvin27 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

Any warranty issue would only occur if there was a failure caused by the stem/steerer interface. If for example you busted the right chainstay, they could hardly deny liability because of a non-spec stem.

You say you are confident about using a non-Specialized stem, so then you must be pretty confident this sort of warranty issue will not arise :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:11 pm

il padrone wrote:Any warranty issue would only occur if there was a failure caused by the stem/steerer interface. If for example you busted the right chainstay, they could hardly deny liability because of a non-spec stem.

You say you are confident about using a non-Specialized stem, so then you must be pretty confident this sort of warranty issue will not arise :idea:
Light bulb moment, thank you il padrone.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Calvin27 wrote:As above, keep a specialized stem and then if it breaks take it off and replace with the spesh stem. How would they ever know?
Specialized sell a lot of components, its not like you won't be able to find one of their stems that has the necessary angle or reach, and all of them are 4 bolt at both ends for carbon steerers and carbon bars, and yes it amuses me no end that if you weenie the bars and steerer you have to have a relatively heavy stem for safety.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Trek is the same and has been for several years.

http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/carbon_car ... r_Info.pdf

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 pm

I have a Specialized stem on my Roubaix & a 3T stem on my Venge.

It doesn't matter. Just use a Specialized long compression plug.

FYI the S-Works Epic comes with a Syntace stem.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:20 pm

The irony in manufacturers making these sorts of claims in there warranty/tech books (and pretty much all manufacturers do whether it's a car or a bike) is how many bike stores will build up a custom bike with non frame manufacturer parts? You'd have to think 99/100 SWorks frames don't use Spzd stems surely?

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Interestingly both Saxo and OPQS pro teams are running Zipp stems on their Specialized bikes.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:28 am

Yes, i noticed that too after watching the youtube clip of the Astana mechanic building Nibali's bike (FSA stem) and Saxo mechs building Contadors bike(ZIpp).

Once mine is built (by me) and I've have a session with the fitter I'll be fitting the bike out with Zipp stem and handlebars.