New S-Works Venge - Roval CLX60 Or Other Wheels?

Tank1252

New S-Works Venge - Roval CLX60 Or Other Wheels?

Postby Tank1252 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a new S-Works Venge soon. I was looking at just the frame set & building my own bike, but my LBS highly recommends looking at the Roval Rapide CLX60's that the Venge comes with at the S-Works level. The likely $1000+ saving is attractive, as long as the CLX60's are at least close to similar deep rimmed aero carbon ENVE's/Zipp's/HED's etc I was previously looking at. Anyone used the CLX60's?

Pottsy

Re: New S-Works Venge - Roval CLX60 Or Other Wheels?

Postby Pottsy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Don't get them.
Spend the money elsewhere. I wouldn't get the Zipp's or HED either. I don't like the hubs in them.
If I was getting some new wheels for my S-Works Venge (which I do have) I would get Enve 6.7 clinchers with Chris King hubs. That is a awesome combination.

awp

Postby awp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Not to thread jack, but I am also considering new wheels for my SL4 tarmac and had in mind the Roval CLX40 as they seem to get good reports. Are they no good?

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 pm

If it were me (which it isn't) I'd go for an alternate wheel manufacturer depending on the type of riding you intend to do.

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 am

So people are suggesting to look elsewhere rather than the Specialized Roval range. What do people recommend as an comparable alternative racing wheel set?

lock_

Postby lock_ » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Have the clx60's on my new Tarmac, and I rate them. I run slightly larger, slightly more robust tyres on the other wheelset (Duraace c24) and there's not really any weight difference. Certainly seems to hold speeds above 40 easier, as in it is slightly noticeable, not whoa I'm 5kph faster now. Braking is ok in the dry, average in the wet; there's a definite difference here compared to an aluminium braking surface. Still descended Hotham comfortably, and I'd call myself an average descender, no heat issues at all. Cross winds will give you a push, but they're not like my Cosmic Carbones that are a real handful.

Relevant thread came up on Weight Weenies a little while back.

I've been racing/training/commuting on mine for almost 4000km now with no issues, not that I'd expect any. Braking surface doesn't really show any wear, but I've chewed through more than half a set of pads. You can try and compare these wheels to a set of Enve's, but really you're looking at almost twice the price. I'd be seeking out more feedback from those that have used/abused these wheels before writing them off (plenty around the crit scene).

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback lock. I'm no pro racer by any means, just trying to improve my crit racing. At the end of the day, value for money is as important a factor as anything else for me in choosing new racing wheels. If the ENVE's are a little better but twice the price, then i'd probably end up going for the Rovals tbh.

Roub

Postby Roub » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:09 am

Interesting there seems to be some historical feedback on Rovals still being applied to the newer models. Roval have done a butt load of research and development on their latest-generation of wheels being the CLX range.

Comments like don't get them with no substantiation don't help OP in the slightest. After riding Fulcrum and trying Zipps, I am now on CLX40's and am very happy. the ceramic bearings and DT hubs work really well, the aero profile is very similar to the Zipps but I think the hubs are more robust and easier to service. Roval brake tracks are fine after 1000kms and descending decent grades most rides. The rims themselves are very stiff, so much so the lightweight sapim spokes probably don't do the rims justice and allow some brake rub on the bigger stomps on the pedals out of the saddle.

The are very efficient over 35kmh and roll forever.

Also they are so awesomely easy to fit tyres to, no levers on or off for me and can swap a tube in under 5mins

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Roub. Having never owned "decent" wheels before i want something recommended & value for money. They are not cheap!

awp

Postby awp » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Roub wrote:Interesting there seems to be some historical feedback on Rovals still being applied to the newer models. Roval have done a butt load of research and development on their latest-generation of wheels being the CLX range.

Comments like don't get them with no substantiation don't help OP in the slightest. After riding Fulcrum and trying Zipps, I am now on CLX40's and am very happy. the ceramic bearings and DT hubs work really well, the aero profile is very similar to the Zipps but I think the hubs are more robust and easier to service. Roval brake tracks are fine after 1000kms and descending decent grades most rides. The rims themselves are very stiff, so much so the lightweight sapim spokes probably don't do the rims justice and allow some brake rub on the bigger stomps on the pedals out of the saddle.

The are very efficient over 35kmh and roll forever.

Also they are so awesomely easy to fit tyres to, no levers on or off for me and can swap a tube in under 5mins
This

Although im certainly not young, I am new to cycling and have been researching wheels for a while. Price isnt a factor for me, but given how much r&d specialized put into their products I have been inclined to give them a go and did find the negative comments odd. I also assumed they were comments more relativecto prior roval models?

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm

I have owned a set of CLX 40 wheels. So i can give you some feedback on them.
Yes the hubs are good being based on the DT 240 design.

But

The braking track will shine like a mirror after a couple rides, they have the worst braking surface I have ever ridden.
This has been backed up by other riders. One saying he is scared to descend on them & another saying that he was terrified to ride in the wet with them. He had no brakes at all.

So in my opinion I would not the Roval CLX 40 or 60s. Nor would I accept them if you gave them to me for free.

Save up & get some Zipps & just deal with the hubs.

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Ok, i'm going to show off what a noob i am. The comments have got me really thinking. I started cycling under a year ago & have just started racing crits (C & then up to B Grade). My 1st (& current) bike has 3 year old C35's on them which i've been happy with but do worry about on the rough roads around here. My new bike i'm saving for is the S-Works Venge mentioned in the title of this thread. Here's what i'm thinking so far; getting something like Fulcrum Race Zero aluminium clinchers for general training & group riding. As far as race/ cooler looking ;-) wheels, i'd really like some more carbon deeper rimmed wheels (like the Roval CLX60's or similar i guess). There are a few things i'm starting to think about. I really only want clinchers, tubulars just appear to me to be a pain in the ass. I'm also starting to wonder about braking surfaces. Firstly with carbon braking surfaces i worry about stopping downhills & in the wet with carbon. Also i can see that having to change the brake pads every time i want to change the wheels over would also be a pain in the ass for me. Are there still carbon wheels with aluminium braking surfaces (like my current C35's) still being made? Are they much heavier? I think some of these answers will help steer me in the right direction. Btw, just thought of something else. I've noticed a few guy's hubs are damn noisy when they are freewheeling. I hate noise!