Buying a Speciallized Allez Sports Compact 2014-Need advise

radicalhaqer

Buying a Speciallized Allez Sports Compact 2014-Need advise

Postby radicalhaqer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 pm

HI All,

I am in a sort of confused state. I have decided to buy this bike http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/bik ... port#specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Speciallized Allez Sports Compact 2014. It is priced at $949.00.

Now, the situation is that this is the last bike in stock in Melbourne (Black and silver colour) which is confirmed by speciallized distributor. The sales guy at speciallized head office also told me that they are due to release 2015 models in about couple of months. So, is it worth waiting for 2015 model? Which will be priced about the same range or a bit higher, or shall I just go ahead and buy the 2014 model?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying a Speciallized Allez Sports Compact 2014-Need adv

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 pm

One the one hand, don't be pressured because you want to feel comfortable about the purchase.

But if this is the bike for you, I don't personally feel it is worth waiting. The reason is that a new model bike will likely be higher priced but aside from being a newer model, any performance or functional advantage will likely not be in proportion with the premium you pay. And if if the price was the same - for an aluminium bikes on a model that has a good reputation, I wouldn't expect massive changes. There could be some changes to the equipment but it would still be inline with that price point.
Cycling is in my BNA

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:49 pm

I haven't investigated it recently but in the past I noted that Specialized would downgrade the components on the same model but one year newer. I presume that this is to keep the bike at the same price point so don't automatically expect the same components of the old model to be on the newer model.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 pm

If its the last one then they should be giving you a really good deal on it. And $949.. well I think I'd want them to come down to $900 for a Sora bike (even if its with STI shifters now). Did they have any of the Allez Elite in stock (with Tiagra)? Maybe have a look at those as well and then compare with a Giant Defy 2 or 3 as well as something in the Reid Falco range (Sport/Advanced or even the Elite). But if it fits you really well and you feel its the bike for you after looking around then yes go for it...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Great looking bike!

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Hahaha! Yes...!

radicalhaqer

Postby radicalhaqer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:One the one hand, don't be pressured because you want to feel comfortable about the purchase.

" Any performance or functional advantage will likely not be in proportion with the premium you pay. And if if the price was the same - for an aluminium bikes on a model that has a good reputation, I wouldn't expect massive changes. There could be some changes to the equipment but it would still be inline with that price point.
Thanks for your advice. You've made a very valid point there. However, to gauge if the bike is a perfect fit for me, that is what I am struggling with as I am a complete newbie. The reason I have zeroed in on this specific bike was because of really good feedback from its users and experts. I am just going by their review.
AUbicycles wrote:One the one hand, don't be pressured because you want to feel comfortable about the purchase.
This is exactly what I am going through. I am feeling the pressure that "hope I am making the right choice". May be I should just trust the brand and go for it.

radicalhaqer

Postby radicalhaqer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:I haven't investigated it recently but in the past I noted that Specialized would downgrade the components on the same model but one year newer. I presume that this is to keep the bike at the same price point so don't automatically expect the same components of the old model to be on the newer model.
Downgrading the components, wouldnt it backfire ? Why will anyone buy new models then?

radicalhaqer

Postby radicalhaqer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 pm

rodneycc wrote:If its the last one then they should be giving you a really good deal on it. And $949.. well I think I'd want them to come down to $900 for a Sora bike (even if its with STI shifters now). Did they have any of the Allez Elite in stock (with Tiagra)? Maybe have a look at those as well and then compare with a Giant Defy 2 or 3 as well as something in the Reid Falco range (Sport/Advanced or even the Elite). But if it fits you really well and you feel its the bike for you after looking around then yes go for it...
Thanks for your advice.

I looked up for Allez Elite which is in stock and priced at $999 with Tiagra and Giant Defy 3 @999 with Sora sp9. Would you reckon Allez Elite is a much better choice than Allez Sports compact?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Yeah for $50 I think I'd go the Allez Elite if I was choosing between them but I still think both models could drop another $50. Have a look on bikeexchange to get a better idea and do as much homework as you can and dont rush into it. A couple of examples below (I'd even consider 2013 models).

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102375329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102347529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102269857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and the Reid falco elite is on special for $836 which is very hard to go past at the moment!

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/r ... 0U2M0g_6Sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You get a lot of bike for $836!

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!

radicalhaqer

Postby radicalhaqer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Hey Rodney... I appreciate your valuable suggestions.

With Giant Defy 3 ($849), they come with Sora whereas, Allez Elite comes with Tiagra ($999) and the price difference is about 150 bucks. Will try to negotiate a bit. Lets see how it goes. For now, Allez Elite sounds like a good option?

Could you please educate me what are the main components I must look for in a road bike?

Cheers

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:34 am

Ok Sounds like you are fairly sure you want a Specialized Allez of some sort. I think you couldn't go wrong with either of these and Specialized make good bikes. With the components you wouldn't want to go below Sora (eg the Sport) in my opinion. I would rule out the base Allez which has 2300/2400/Claris components. The Elite would be my preference with Tiagra as its 10 speed and has really nice shifts would be slightly lighter and should be better allround quality (of the groupset). And for $50 thats not a lot. The other components all look pretty good on all models both have compact cranks (50/34 chainrings) which is what you want.

To be honest it may just come down to what colour you like best (and thats no joke!) I seen many-a-bike purchased just on what colour they prefer it in :-)

Oh and if you don't get a discount then at least get the shop to throw in heap of free stuff like bottle cages, lights, discounted clothing/shoes, cleats, pedals if it doesn't come with it. Try and get a couple of hundred dollars in savings there (and do your homework on what the accessories actually cost).

Anyway good luck.

cheers Rod.
Last edited by rodneycc on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 am

MattyK wrote:Great looking bike!
Would be if they change the colour scheme maybe. What the hell is it with light blue in 2014!.... :-)

radicalhaqer

Postby radicalhaqer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:02 pm

rodneycc wrote:Ok Sounds like you are fairly sure you want a Specialized Allez of some sort. I think you couldn't go wrong with either of these and Specialized make good bikes. With the components you wouldn't want to go below Sora (eg the Sport) in my opinion. I would rule out the base Allez which has 2300/2400/Claris components. The Elite would be my preference with Tiagra as its 10 speed and has really nice shifts would be slightly lighter and should be better allround quality (of the groupset). And for $50 thats not a lot. The other components all look pretty good on all models both have compact cranks (50/34 chainrings) which is what you want.

To be honest it may just come down to what colour you like best (and thats no joke!) I seen many-a-bike purchased just on what colour they prefer it in :-)

Oh and if you don't get a discount then at least get the shop to throw in heap of free stuff like bottle cages, lights, discounted clothing/shoes, cleats, pedals if it doesn't come with it. Try and get a couple of hundred dollars in savings there (and do your homework on what the accessories actually cost).

Anyway good luck.

cheers Rod.
Awesome! based on your advice I tried to negotiate the price further down. He is giving me Sports Compact (AT) 850 but Elite is still the same (AT) 999. Is Elite worth the extra $150 ?? Also, you're right about bike colour. I love the Sports Allez's colour which is matte black which is why I am slightly more inclined towards Sports Allez. However, if $150 difference is justifiable in terms of quality , then I am happy to go with Allez Elite.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:20 pm

That's a tough question. Only you can decide that one. I think I would lean towards the Sport in that case and see how the groupset goes and then you can always upgrade the groupset later on if you really want to. All the best mate and photos would be good once bought!

radicalhaqer

Postby radicalhaqer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Finally! Bought it. I chose Allez Elite over Allez Sports Compact. Went with quality rather. White colour isn't bad at all. About the riding experience, well I loved the my first ride on it, it was very comfortable and fast. ride.

Thanks for your help Rodney :) I really appreciate your valuable advice.

http://www.thepicturehost.com/pictures/ ... cf8cb4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Nice one mate. And love that colour combo. Great choice.
All the best. Cheers Rod.