Opinions wanted - Scott CR1

briztoon

Opinions wanted - Scott CR1

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I have a case of upgradeitis. I'm looking at a 2012 Scott with Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 group set, Ritchey carbon handlebars, stem, headset and seat post, SYNCROS saddle and wheel set with Continental Grand Prix 4000 tyres, and Shimano 9000 carbon pedals.

Just after peoples opinions of the CR1.

TMjpn

Re: Opinions wanted - Scott CR1

Postby TMjpn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm

I think all CR1's except the SL (no-longer made) are made of the same carbon grade (HMF), so regardless of the 'spec' (10,20, premium) the frame is the same throughout.

My 2 cents - Grab the current model while you can, as the new model is coming soon and touted to be the "entry level carbon bike" for Scott, which might not be all bad news but I sense a dillution of the breed - the current model I wouldn't call an entry level bike.

Besides, they are a good looking bike with a good balance of performance/comfort. My brother had the older CR1 and my workmate/riding buddy rides an SL - and he loves it.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:33 pm

That's one thing that has me stumped TMjpn. The bike is advertised as a CR1 SL but has a HMF carbon frame, not the HMX frame. I'll have to double check in store tomorrow. My only other concern is that it has a 11-25 cassette and I'm used to an 11-28 to get me up any type of hill.

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:53 pm

I have a 2012 CR1 Pro and I think it's fantastic. It was the pick of the bunch for me and I've done many great comfortable k's on it. I race on it as well.

Make sure it's actually a 2012 because it should come with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. Scott didn't acquire Syncros until the start of 2012 and since 2013 all their models are coming with Syncros stuff stock. Here's the specs for the '12 http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... 79/cr1-sl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it states it's an HMF frame like the rest of the range.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:30 pm

greatapoc wrote:I have a 2012 CR1 Pro and I think it's fantastic. It was the pick of the bunch for me and I've done many great comfortable k's on it. I race on it as well.

Make sure it's actually a 2012 because it should come with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. Scott didn't acquire Syncros until the start of 2012 and since 2013 all their models are coming with Syncros stuff stock. Here's the specs for the '12 http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... 79/cr1-sl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it states it's an HMF frame like the rest of the range.
I asked about the bike not having Mavic Ksyrium wheels or the FIZIK ARIONE CX saddle. I was told when the bike came up from Melbourne it didn't come with the advertised wheel set or saddle. I was then offered a sizeable discount.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:42 am

As far as I know, only the 2011 CR1-SL is HMX. The frame is matt black/raw carbon with Black logos - very stealth - and very sexy.

By the sounds of things, the bike on offer is an out-of-spec shop build, which in itself isn't that bad as long as it isn't the RRP (you'd expect the full spec sheet if thats what you paid for). If it's a shop you are buying from, they could be able to swap a cassette for you, otherwise, I'd take it on myself to sell the 25 while it is in great condition and source a 28. D/A cassetes are a bit exxy though but hopefully you'd come close with the initial sale. A Pain to do but then again, you get what you want :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 pm

briztoon wrote:Just after peoples opinions of the CR1.
send a PM to Comedian

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
send a PM to Comedian
Too late. I bought it.

By the sounds of it (or lack there of really) I guess Comedian isn't a fan.

Ok so I did a little research, and the 2012 SL frame is made from HMF NET, IMP Carbon. http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... 79/cr1-sl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

End price, $3850.
Frame: Scott CR1 HMF NET, IMP Carbon technology, Road Comfort geometry, Integrated BB
Fork: Scott CR1 HMF NET, 1 1/8“ Carbon steerer, Integrated Carbon Dropout
Headset: Ritchey WCS Integrated
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace RD-7900, 20 Speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900
Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7900, Dual control, 20 Speed
Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900, Super SLR Dual pivot
Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace, Hollowtech II 20-Speed Compact FC-7950, 50 x 34 T
BB-Set: INT Dura-Ace SM-BB9141
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Logic Curve, 31.8 Carbon Oversize Anatomic
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4 Axis Matrix Carbon, OS 1 1/8“ four Bolt
Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace Pd 9000 Carbon Road Pedal
Seatpost: Ritchey Carbon Superlogic 31.6/300mm
Seat: SYNCROS RR1.5 Titanium
Front Hub: SYNCROS RP1.5
Rear Hub: Syncros RP1.5
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7900
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-7900 20-Speed: 11-25 T
Spokes: Syncros RP1.5
Rims: Syncros RP1.5, 18 Front / 24 Rear
Tires: Continental Grand Prix 4000 / 700 x 23

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm

briztoon wrote:By the sounds of it (or lack there of really) I guess Comedian isn't a fan.
Another non fan of the CR1 here

Scott lent me a CR1 Pro on a demo day and told to take for a long ride. They got it back less than 5km later, relaxed geometry was not for me (Di2 did not help). Team Foil with DA9000 that is a different story.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm

TMjpn wrote:My 2 cents - Grab the current model while you can, as the new model is coming soon and touted to be the "entry level carbon bike" for Scott, which might not be all bad news but I sense a dillution of the breed - the current model I wouldn't call an entry level bike.
Was told at the store today that the new CR1's are going to have more relaxed geometry than the current model. The new Scott Solace which is effectively replacing the current CR1 will have the same geometry, just a different look.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... kes-37751/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 pm

briztoon wrote: Image

Looks nice, very understated in the colourway - much like the 2011 Addict R3.

It known the CR1 is a relaxed Geo bike and not out and out racer like the foil - that's what Scott says it does on the box - hence why OGE ran it on the cobbles last year as most brands do with their relaxed bikes (Sep Vanmarke on the Defy Advanced this year, Cancellara on his Domane and Sagan on the new Synapse). Each to their own :)

I'm a big fan of Ritchey Kit :D so superlogic is nice touch. HMX/HMF - the difference is <100g, a bit of stiffness and a few thousand $$

Enjoy and treat it well :)

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:30 pm

nickobec wrote:
briztoon wrote:By the sounds of it (or lack there of really) I guess Comedian isn't a fan.
Another non fan of the CR1 here

Scott lent me a CR1 Pro on a demo day and told to take for a long ride. They got it back less than 5km later, relaxed geometry was not for me (Di2 did not help). Team Foil with DA9000 that is a different story.

That opinion wouldn't be just be limited the CR1 tho. You could have sat on a defy, synapse, roubaix, colnago ace/AC-R etc or any bike with a tall head tube/short reach and get the same impression. I tried my brothers Madone 3.1 once, with its long head tube and short stem, and felt weird... but as someone who isn't as flexible it suits him better. Good for those long rides around 100km or more where your lower back aches after being bent over the bars and hammered by all the ruts in the road for a few hours. At times like that I curse myself that I wish I had a bike like those aforementioned.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Best ever incarnation of the CR1 I've seen, dead secksee. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Yeah, I like it. Wouldn't be my cuppa, but nothing to complain about in that spec list. Also liking the "non-Green Edge" matt black scheme.

Slam that stem a couple of spacers and you'll improve the responsiveness plenty. Nice buy, enjoy! :)
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Nice one man I love it. The pictures on the website make the highlights look gold but your photos have it looking more grey. What is it like in the flesh? The photos of the Pro on the website make the red look nearly fluorescent but they're more subdued in person. Here's mine: http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4673/avoj.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am

briztoon wrote:
jasonc wrote:
send a PM to Comedian
Too late. I bought it.
nice bike. But I think he's looking at selling his... (not very old)

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks Mulga Bill. :D

JessicaAlba, yeah I'll be dropping the stem one space next week. I'll see how that goes.

greatapoc, the highlights are metallic silver grey and very understated. I love the look of your bike and the matching wheels.