Sram electronic

Paul B

Sram electronic

Postby Paul B » Mon May 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Having observed the popularity of Di2 and EPS and considering the imminent response of Sram, it occurred to me that there is one likely advantage which would be significant.
This may have been discussed already so apologies if I am repeating here. The Sram version apparently will be wireless, so that would mean no frame mods for internal routing.
Big bonus for those wanting to fit the new system to an existing non compliant frame I would have thought. Given the time that Sram have had to develop their product, you would
think that something special is on the way. I have Sram Red on my roadie... could be tempted to upgrade if it looked like a winner.

mikgit

Re: Sram electronic

Postby mikgit » Mon May 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Less wires would be handy (although I don't really have an issue with them..but would if I ever got it for mt mtb... but that also means a bunch of batteries all over the place.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon May 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Very much looking forward to the release

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Paul B wrote:Given the time that Sram have had to develop their product, you would think that something special is on the way. I have Sram Red on my roadie... could be tempted to upgrade if it looked like a winner.
Given their form for underdeveloping things before releasing to the market, I'd recommend waiting a couple of years for them to iron the inevitable bugs out.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

gman2

Postby gman2 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Totally wireless would be great, but that would mean each component would need its own battery. Not quite sure how practical that is going to be, or how much reasonable battery life you would get.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 pm

It would be superb for bikes that don't support internal cables and retro-fitting and the like. Could be neat for some TT bikes. But batteries everywhere sounds like a bother. Let's see what they come up with.

skull

Postby skull » Mon May 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Duck! wrote: I'd recommend waiting a couple of years for them to iron the inevitable bugs out.
That's what I'll be doing, but after a couple of years it will be all in with wireless and discs.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 11, 2015 10:29 pm

They might have fixed the brakes by then too....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 pm

SRAM haters.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 12, 2015 12:44 am

Sorry, still a fly by wire(less) luddite.

Not that I'm not a fan of the concept, the idea of setting it up and ignoring it beyond recharge appeals to the lazy side of me. Auto trimming appeals to the inner geek.
It just doesn't fit in with my current list of desires, let alone needs
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue May 12, 2015 8:38 am

Duck! wrote: I'd recommend walking a couple of years for them to iron the inevitable bugs out.

Ooops, misread this first time around, but it seemed appropriate. :idea: :?:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue May 12, 2015 9:26 am

gman2 wrote:Totally wireless would be great, but that would mean each component would need its own battery. Not quite sure how practical that is going to be, or how much reasonable battery life you would get.
Conveniently, the system will use CR2032 coin-style batteries, the sort you can pick up relatively cheaply on the high street. However, you shouldn’t find yourself searching out the nearest Tesco having run out of juice mid-ride, as battery life is expected to be anything up to a year.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... 9LfGopt.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

limetang

Postby limetang » Tue May 12, 2015 9:34 am

I had a good look at the group set on a few AG2R bikes whilst volunteering at the TDU this year. Certainly seemed production level finish. Not for me though, I don't mind having wires with my Di2.
I would be interested in the long term reliability, and also external influences effecting wireless shifting.

Could someone theoretically 'hack' this system and on the upper slopes on the Ventoux deliberately shift and spoil the race for a favorite in the TDF?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue May 12, 2015 9:44 am

Any wireless system can potentially be made nonfunctional by the appropriate radio frequency interference. To have that situation occur during something so critical as a gear change at the split second it is required to happen certainly does not appeal to me. :?

skull

Postby skull » Tue May 12, 2015 1:50 pm

Drizt wrote:SRAM haters.

Far from it, I am a SRAM fan boy. I just want to wait till it is all sorted and micky mouse before I spend my dollars.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue May 12, 2015 1:50 pm

limetang wrote:I had a good look at the group set on a few AG2R bikes whilst volunteering at the TDU this year. Certainly seemed production level finish. Not for me though, I don't mind having wires with my Di2.
I would be interested in the long term reliability, and also external influences effecting wireless shifting.

Could someone theoretically 'hack' this system and on the upper slopes on the Ventoux deliberately shift and spoil the race for a favorite in the TDF?
I think anything is possible, though probably very unlikely as this would likely be one of the first things SRAM would try and guard against.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue May 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Eventually all the makes will be selling wireless shifting and hydro disc brake group sets... Happy days :)

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Drizt wrote:Eventually all the makes will be selling wireless shifting and hydro disc brake group sets... Happy days :)
The next thing after that will of course be an electronic circuit in the helmet designed so that you will be able to change gears simply by thinking about it. :lol:

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue May 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Auto transmission..

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 12, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm not a fan of the front shifting system which requires pressing the buttons on the left and right shifters at roughly the same time.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue May 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Yeh, that's dumb. Individual buttons ftw

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue May 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Hopefully they are programmable like di2

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Well, maybe you'll be able to jailbreak 'em. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 12, 2015 8:12 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
Drizt wrote:Eventually all the makes will be selling wireless shifting and hydro disc brake group sets... Happy days :)
The next thing after that will of course be an electronic circuit in the helmet designed so that you will be able to change gears simply by thinking about it. [emoji38]
I sense smoke and splintered carbon in many futures. Either that or little improbability generators manifesting all sorts of random substitutions for a snappy gear change.

"I wanted fifth but all I got was fluffy poultry...and a box of Smarties"
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 am

i really don't understand wireless. The bike frame is hollow, seems to be a no brainer to shove all the cables in the frame, have 1 battery. Just need some clean solution for the cables from the shifters to the frame.

having said that, some of the current solutions from frame makers regarding electronic cable routing make it look like its still in the R&D phase.