SRAM Red 22 feedback

BugsBunny

SRAM Red 22 feedback

Postby BugsBunny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:22 am

Hi guys

Been scouring the Web for info on latest gen Red 22 but really can't find much. Seems most people on Shimano.

Any one using Red 22 care to share their thoughts on this group set.

Thx.

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: SRAM Red 22 feedback

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:26 am

Works for me. Currently running a KMC chain and finding it a bit noisy. With a Red chain it is nice and quiet. When new, I reckon Red22 is the quietest group there is (well, until you shift :lol:).

Old Red had a crappy front change, not any more. Very good, if slightly behind DA9000/U6800. Yaw is awesome, too. As a comparison, the shift is still a lot better than 7900/6700 IMO.

Pretty much totally happy with it on my bike, my only regret is not specifying the WiFli rear mech.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:47 am

More or less exactly the same as the 2013 10 speed, except with an extra cog, if you're looking for reviews.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

I was interested in SRAM Red22 when it came out until I saw the cost. If they have ironed out most of the negatives of the past, then it may well be worth the money, but it's a damn hard sell when you are priced similar to Campagnolo Record or DA9000 or Ultegra Di2 6870. I thought the original sell was Double Tap with the cheapest and lightest top level group? Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Must have been taken over by the XX1 pricing team :lol:

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:46 pm

My wife has Force 22 (yaw), very slick shifting. I imagine Red 22 would be very nice again, well it would want to be for extra $$

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Where are you looking xplora? I recall red 22 being cheaper than DA and SR on ribble not too long ago. I think it was...?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Works for me. Currently running a KMC chain and finding it a bit noisy. With a Red chain it is nice and quiet. When new, I reckon Red22 is the quietest group there is (well, until you shift :lol:).
It has improved a lot since they turfed that echo-box "PowerDome" fully enclosed, one piece cassette, which also "featured" missing teeth for shifting gaps, with a far more coventionally-designed model.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Duck! wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Works for me. Currently running a KMC chain and finding it a bit noisy. With a Red chain it is nice and quiet. When new, I reckon Red22 is the quietest group there is (well, until you shift :lol:).
It has improved a lot since they turfed that echo-box "PowerDome" fully enclosed, one piece cassette, which also "featured" missing teeth for shifting gaps, with a far more coventionally-designed model.
Yes it has. I used to have that version of Red. Ridiculously noisy all the time. Horrible. I guess SRAM decided to change the design after they found everyone was swapping to Ultegra cassettes! :lol:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

slowK

Postby slowK » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 pm

I have Red 22 on my Madone. Trek were doing a sale, so I got a great price - my budget was for more a Force 22 equipped bike. I had come off a bike with Rival 10 speed. To be honest, initially I didn't notice that much difference with Rival, but when I went back to my old bike the Rival was a less crisp and less solid in the shifting and lever feel.

Shifts: never missed a beat. Crisp, snap-snap. I really like the doubletap shifting (but that would apply to all the SRAM groups)
Shifters. I really love the shifter ergonomics - they just feel really comfy to me. This was the biggest reason I wanted SRAM. Brake lever adjustment very useful for my smaller hands.
Brakes - I can't comment as I had the crap Bontrager integrated brakes that came with the Madone. I changed them to Ultegra and it's significantly better.

The bike came with a non-Red cassette (1170?), so I can't comment about the Red cassette. After a while I changed to a Dura-Ace cassette (12-28) because I'm slow and never used the 11-tooth cog. Didn't really notice a difference in drivetrain noise. It's a non-issue to me - I don't notice any significant drivetrain noise when I ride.

Have used all 11 cogs on the big ring without front derailleur cage rub (yes, yes - I know it's bad to cross chain). I get a bit of rub when in the highest (12t) cog when on the small chainring, but pretty much never use that combo. So maybe Red 21 is a more accurate name? Not having to trim/half shift the FD is nice.

Is Red worth the expense? Probably not, if it weren't on sale. It works beautifully, is ergonomically great and is damn light. But I think that I would be perfectly happy with Force 22. Pretty much identical performance for a bit more weight and a lot less money. If I ever build a dream bike I would buy Force 22 next time and use the money for other upgrades like better wheels. If weight is a big concern, you could upgrade to Red cranks (this seems to be where the biggest weight difference is between the two groups).

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Bugs,

As many on here know I have only used RED for a very long time. Im a tragic... about to install Etap! Have used and still use Earlier red as well as MY 12 and RED 22.
As you are asking about 22 I wont address some of the comment relating to earlier RED.
Obviously I love it. But it can be fiddly until set up properly. It's not as forgiving as Ultegra or DA. When its done right it is great. Only negative about the whole system is the single pivot brakes are sometimes fiddly to set up so that the dont push the wheel to one side when applied. The earlier brakes were awesome albeit slightly heavier.

It will never be as quiet as DA but it can get very close. Its a trade off for the awesome snap shifting you get.
It not all that expensive either. On a par with DA mech and on the open market its probably cheaper. Many shops have new sets sitting around as take offs for DA tragics who had to have their Jap Cr@p.
Works just as well with a KMCX11sp as a RED 22 chain.
Current Force 22 is RED MY11 with some cool style upgrades. Also very good but a bit heavier otherwise its the same.
Good luck with your project.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP