SRAM: Force V Rival

Top_Bhoy

SRAM: Force V Rival

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:41 pm

Aside from weight savings (which I'll need to investigate more), are there significant performance differences between SRAM Force and Rival that would make paying the price premium for the Force a worthwhile investment.

familyguy

Re: SRAM: Force V Rival

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:26 am

I've used c.2013 era Rival briefly, and it works just as well as the 5700/5800 105 10s gear it was scheduled to replace. But then I got a hold of a used Force 10s groupset of the same age. I would rate it a step or two above the 105 gear. Is it worth the extra cost for the weight saving? Honestly, probably not, but that's a purely personal opinion.

Jim

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:10 pm

I can't comment on the SRAM Force gear, but I have just completed the upgrade of my SRAM Apex up to SRAM Rival. The main changes I got there were that the Rival shifters have Carbon brake levers, and the shifting is somewhat less clunky. However, I never really had any issues with the Apex shifters, other than the shift paddles snapping off (one replaced under warranty, the other one broke well outside warranty so I just replaced it with an older SRAM Rival shifter).

My R5 has SRAM Red22, which is a big step up in weight savings from the Rival gear, so given that Force sits in between the two I'd say the gains are most likely going to manifest in weight savings rather than any major differences in performance. Ultimately what it comes down to is how much of a bargain you can snag on the Force group. Is it a worthwhile "investment"? Well, only you can be the judge of that :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Cheers guys.

This is for a '2nd bike' with an ageing Campag Centaur gruppo on it. My newer bike has 2009 SRAM Red, still in good condition and still riding well. I'm happy with either shifting system but not wanting to pay the premium to use on a bike which is likely to be a spare for much of the year and used primarily in poorer weather conditions. The Campag is too expensive so unless the Force is being sold off ridiculously cheap, sounds like the Rival will fit my use at as minimal a cost as possible.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:36 pm

The differences are really just in materials to make Force a bit lighter; there is no ground-shattering performance difference between the two.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Cmon Top Bhoy, Just ditch both of those and go Shimano mate. 11 speed 105 or ultegra is such a nice bit of kit over SRAM (Campy is another matter I guess, can't comment there).
Well someone had to say it :-)
Last edited by rodneycc on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:36 pm

rodneycc wrote:Well someone had to say it :-)
+1, the answer to Force or Rival is Ultegra.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:Aside from weight savings (which I'll need to investigate more), are there significant performance differences between SRAM Force and Rival that would make paying the price premium for the Force a worthwhile investment.
I have a groupset combination of both Force and Rival (2x10 speed) There's no discernible difference for most people except less dollars in your bank account. I will never go back to Shimano since I've gotten used to double tap... never in a million years even if you paid me to switch unless it was for sponsorship reasons of course... and then I don't give a f*ck "free bike stuff time..."

I'm still not sure what a Shimano rider is doing in a SRAM forum though however?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Kronos wrote:
Top_Bhoy wrote:Aside from weight savings (which I'll need to investigate more), are there significant performance differences between SRAM Force and Rival that would make paying the price premium for the Force a worthwhile investment.
I have a groupset combination of both Force and Rival (2x10 speed) There's no discernible difference for most people except less dollars in your bank account. I will never go back to Shimano since I've gotten used to double tap... never in a million years even if you paid me to switch unless it was for sponsorship reasons of course... and then I don't give a f*ck "free bike stuff time..."

I'm still not sure what a Shimano rider is doing in a SRAM forum though however?
I've got a foot in both camps. Two bikes with SRAM, one with Shimano, and a new frameset coming which will be all Shimano.

I dabbled with going SRAM on the new build, as I also like Double-Tap. However, what killed it was SRAM restricting the supply of components online. I am not a charity and won't pay Australia tax, so SRAM lost.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm

I haven't had to buy new components recently all be it I'm still using a 2x10 groupset (with not much plan of changing any time soon pardon the pun). All be it I'm never going back to single tap shifters or split up/down shifters like Shimano has. I saw the light so to speak.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Kronos wrote:I haven't had to buy new components recently all be it I'm still using a 2x10 groupset (with not much plan of changing any time soon pardon the pun). All be it I'm never going back to single tap shifters or split up/down shifters like Shimano has. I saw the light so to speak.
Same. My Rival setup is a 2x10, and I am not planning to go 11-sp on that bike. For commuting use, I find the ability to shift and brake at the same time is much safer. On my other bikes it's not a huge issue as I tend to ride those in low traffic situations.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:05 pm

SRAM haters go back to the paddock with the other sheep.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP