Shimano- 105 vs Tiagra

Shimano- 105 vs Tiagra

Postby Snoopy007 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi,

New to cycling and wanted to know what is the actual difference, when your cycling if you have a Tiagra groupset compared to a 105 (5700) groupset.
Thanks
Snoopy007

by BNA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 am

BNA

Re: Shimano- 105 vs Tiagra

Postby clackers » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 am

As far as future upgrading goes, Snoopy, if you ultimately want 105, hold off your purchase until you can get the model with that groupset, because the bike manufacturer buys it cheaper than you can separately. Plus, you'll have to put it on, or pay to get it put on.

If you're not that passionate, Tiagra's 10 speed these days, so it's great for rec cyclists (people have surely raced on it too). Because of that, you can even mix and match 105/Ultegra parts in the future as they need to be replaced.
clackers

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:20 am

Snoopy007 wrote:Hi,

New to cycling and wanted to know what is the actual difference, when your cycling if you have a Tiagra groupset compared to a 105 (5700) groupset.
Thanks

A little weight, and for many, a lot of self-respect. :)

Actually there is a difference in quality and durability. But the difference wouldn't be apparent unless you have owned both.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Reman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:55 pm

My bike has a 105 rear mech and cassette with the rest being Tiagra. After I have adjusted the rear is buttery smooth but the front is always a little clunky.

Reading elsewhere this seems to be the Tiagra to 105 difference. 105 can be adjusted to work quite smoothly whereas Tiagra will always have a little bit of clunkiness. Although I suspect Ron is correct that without having the mix of components I probably wouldn't notice the difference so much.
Reman

Postby Chris249 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm

We've got a fair range at home so we can get a fair cross section. My roadie is mainly approx 2010 Tiagra with some similar vintage 105 (upgraded from Sora/2200 when I got second-hand gear from mates), my cyclocross bike is 3 week old 2010 model NOS 105, my time trial bike is older Ultegra, and my wife's cyclocross bike is 3 month old NOS 2011 Ultegra.

Seems to me there's very little difference once you are past Sora (which works fine as a RD anyway). I have a 105 rd spare (it was going to go on a bike that was stolen) but I feel that the difference is so small that I couldn't be bothered switching the Tiagra RD over. If I try to feel it, I THINK I can notice the difference between groupsets, but you've got to be very wary of placebo effects in that sort of stuff. And groupsets would be the last thing I'd upgrade personally.

In my experience, fds are always clunkier than rds anyway, and I don't really notice much difference at the back.

As far as the self respect goes, to be honest one of the reasons I'm not bothering to upgrade the roadie is that when you start racing, there will always be someone with a better bike (unless you spend $15,000 or so) so you are not going to win any one-upmanship wars without spending big. Of course, if you DO spend big, then you also have to go fast or you will appear a bit silly. Finally, only once have I heard of any gear snobbery among serious riders; racers know it's all in the legs, heart and mind. Gear only makes a minute difference in the And finally, on the one-upmanship stakes you do better as an old guy racing B Grade with Tiagra (or lower) level gear than being just one of the mob with a high end carbon frame, Zipps and DA! :-)
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Chris249 wrote:If I try to feel it, I THINK I can notice the difference between groupsets, but you've got to be very wary of placebo effects in that sort of stuff.

Terrific point, Chris. As Saint Lance put it, "It's not about the bike."

Put me on his $15,000 Trek, him on a unicycle, and he'd still beat me up the 1 in 20!
clackers

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

clackers wrote:
Put me on his $15,000 Trek, him on a unicycle, and he'd still beat me up the 1 in 20!

Hahahah - very funny!

I just went through the consideration of a total upgrade, or partial upgrade. I have a 2008 Alloy Avanti Vivace with 9sp Tiagra, and after much research found that the best thing to do is keep what I have, build muscle, upgrade the wheels, and ride more. The groupset I have can be adjusted (which I have done) to be pretty smooth, and the frame is perfect for what I do - commute and ride the odd ride with some mates. I can keep up just fine on my alloy bike with Tiagra. Ok, climbing is often harder, but really its in the legs and the heart.

I would say buy the best you can afford, upgrade your wheels, and ride more.
RideLikeTheWind

Postby george-bob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 am

clackers wrote:
Chris249 wrote:If I try to feel it, I THINK I can notice the difference between groupsets, but you've got to be very wary of placebo effects in that sort of stuff.

this is true to an extent, but having ridden an old sora bike and then upgrading to a new 105 the difference is night and day, front shifting under moderate load is incredibly responsive on the 105 whereas the sora i had to let off for several rotations of the pedal to facilitate shifting. the difference between 105/ultegra/DA is minimal from a user perspective, but i suspect the jump from sora/tiagra to 105 is more significant in terms of ride quality. although it wont make you a better rider it may help you to enjoy your bike a little more!
george-bob

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am

george-bob wrote:but having ridden an old sora bike and then upgrading to a new 105

Sure, GB, but I'm guessing your old bike was 8 speed. The engineering tolerances were greater, the shifting not so smooth.

But you wouldn't be riding faster on your new bike, if the gear ratios were the same.
clackers

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm

clackers wrote:

On a unicycle the fork is dead straight,there is no rake or offset to the dropouts and, othjer than the seat, there is pretty well nothing else to serve as a reference point for determining front from back.

So before Lance gets on the unicycle you loosen the quick release, turn the seat post half a turn and tighten it again - takes all of ten seconds.

His pedals then fall off in in the first 500 metres. All that remains is to then post on all the social media sites that you just beat Lance. :mrgreen: With or without Tiagra.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:00 pm

If anyone would have known that, it would be you, Colin! :D

He was a master improviser, though ... he could do this and still keep his Tour lead!

clackers

Postby george-bob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 pm

clackers wrote:
george-bob wrote:but having ridden an old sora bike and then upgrading to a new 105

Sure, GB, but I'm guessing your old bike was 8 speed. The engineering tolerances were greater, the shifting not so smooth.

But you wouldn't be riding faster on your new bike, if the gear ratios were the same.

you're entirely right, but the overall enjoyment of riding is a LOT higher, which i would think is well worth the cost!
george-bob

Return to Shimano