Shimano Alfine 8 problem

simurs4

Shimano Alfine 8 problem

Postby simurs4 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Hey guys i've got a focus planet which has alfine 8 gearing, its been great since buying it shifting perfectly until afew days ago. i had a mishap with my bike rack, luckily i wasn't driving, the bike was on the roof and wasn't clipped in securely and got caught by some crazy wind and the bike fell off landing handlebar first on the driveway. theres no external damage to the hub so i don't think it landed on it but now ive got a shifting issue.
shifting up gears is fine it works correctly but when shifting back down it can go from 8 to first gear in one click it won't change down 1 gear each click so i don't know if something in the shifter is stuffed from when it hit the ground. nothing looks broken but the shifter/brake shifters are scuffed from hitting.
i found a video on adjusting the hub which ive done as it was a little bit out but not by much, but that hasn't helped improve the shifting.
i don't know much about this system, does anyone know what could possibly be the problem?
cheers.

find_bruce

Re: Shimano Alfine 8 problem

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 am

It is not clear to me what you mean by "when shifting back down it can go from 8 to first gear in one click"

Does the hub change 8 gears in one click or is it just the indicator on the shifter ?

It sounds like a shifter problem. What happens when the shifter is in 1st? The cassette at the hub should be rotated forward, then as you change up a gear it should rotate back, till in 4th the yellow dots line up & in 8th it should be at the back. What happens at the hub when you change back to 1st?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

MattyK

Re: Shimano Alfine 8 problem

Postby MattyK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Sounds like a shifter issue. Do you have the trigger or the twist grip?