Shimano Ultegra Chain 6701

calvinlsyd

Shimano Ultegra Chain 6701

Postby calvinlsyd » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi,

im using compact at the moment and thinking of switching to standard crank.
im using ultegra 6700 chain at the moment.

im going to buy new chain with cassette as well.
so here is the question:

will the new ultegra 6701 chain works with standard crankset?
and im going to purchase one for my mate too but hes using compact - will the chain works with his too?

i thought theres something do with the chain length would be different?

Cheers

noob :P

Ross

Re: Shimano Ultegra Chain 6701

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 pm

The chain will work but you will need to take a few links out of the chain. Compact cranks will need a link or two more taken out. AFAIK no chain of any brand will fit straight on without taking out some links first. There's no seperate chain for compact and standard, they are all the same length when new.

calvinlsyd

Postby calvinlsyd » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 pm

thanks for the info, so after i've purchased the new 6701. Do i have to take out any links?
if so, who many links do i have to take out?

Thanks again

Edited: it say 116 links from the description - for your reference

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Depends on your frame, cassette, Rd & big chainring. Shimano tech docs show you how to work it out, or match your existing chain.
PS when you get it throw away the joining pin and use a quick link (KMC, Wipperman, etc). Will save you lots of hassle if your not used to using them.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Ross wrote:The chain will work but you will need to take a few links out of the chain. Compact cranks will need a link or two more taken out. AFAIK no chain of any brand will fit straight on without taking out some links first. There's no seperate chain for compact and standard, they are all the same length when new.
Hi Ross,
Is your comment about the chains being all the same length right?

I have been checking out chains lately and some say 112 links others 116 etc.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 am

calvinlsyd wrote:thanks for the info, so after i've purchased the new 6701. Do i have to take out any links?
if so, who many links do i have to take out?

Thanks again

Edited: it say 116 links from the description - for your reference
The directions are in the packet with the chain which explain how to calculate the correct chain length, you'd almost certainly have to remove some links.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Byke

Postby Byke » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 am

Park Tool have a page dedicated to different methods of determining chain length. Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method is probably the one you'll find easiest.

To fit your own chain you're going to need a chain tool to fit the new pin. Once you have this tool removing the extra links is the easy bit. Getting the new pin seated correctly, and the link moving freely, is the bit that requires a bit more skill and patience the first few times you do it.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Byke wrote:Park Tool have a page dedicated to different methods of determining chain length. Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method is probably the one you'll find easiest.

To fit your own chain you're going to need a chain tool to fit the new pin. Once you have this tool removing the extra links is the easy bit. Getting the new pin seated correctly, and the link moving freely, is the bit that requires a bit more skill and patience the first few times you do it.
I would add that you should buy a good quality chain tool as I had a cheapie and then bought a Shimano chain tool and it made the job much simpler (especially pushing the pin in without creating any stiff links). Note that the Ultegra chain is directional (for the double, not the case for the triple) and the side which says "Shimano" goes to the outside. Finally, the join needs to be at the front of an outer connecting plate in the direction of the chain travel.

calvinlsyd

Postby calvinlsyd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm

woah,its a lot harder than what i thought it would.

i guess i should bring it down to my LBS to do it...
yes its a rip off for a $50 chain but i guess its good to support local business :P

Cheers

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm

calvinlsyd wrote:woah,its a lot harder than what i thought it would.

i guess i should bring it down to my LBS to do it...
yes its a rip off for a $50 chain but i guess its good to support local business :P

Cheers
It's very easy to remove the excess links once you own a chain pin removal tool. The slightly more tricky part is pushing the new pin in and getting it right, but the good news is that there's no need to do that, just get a quick link like the Wipperman one. Ten seconds to remove or re-install, no tools required.

http://www.this link is broken/wippermann-conn ... -10-speed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;