Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed Cassette, size?

slipsam

Re: Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed Cassette, size?

Postby slipsam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 am

It's a relatively easy changeover, but depends on how confident you are. You will need a cassette removal tool and chain whip.
Also, there is the potential that your chain will need to be lengthened. I recently changed from a 11-25T to 11-28T and a link had to be added.

I consider myself relatively competent mechanically, but didn't have the tools and I can never seem to get the rear derailleur as smooth as it should be, so I went for the LBS option.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:18 am

mirz wrote:
Is this any easy DIY or should be done by LBS?
Easy DIY but you will need a chain whip and a cassette key/spanner... Plus some elbow grease (40nm torque).
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am

LOL I thought you were pushing a compact crank! 39/25 is certainly no slouch of a gear. Honestly, the extra 3 teeth won't fix the drama. Where are you located? I'm jonesing for a standard crank, would gladly swap a 2 month old 105 or Ultegra crankset with 175mm cranks. The 34 at the front is the solution to your horsepower issues. Cassettes help, but the crank makes sure you have a chance to spin the thing LOL

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am

For an absolute beginner, tri-ring front 53/39/30 and a 12-38 rear recommended. Been there, know how hard it is to even get up what others would consider a small hill...

If you are okay weight and okay fitness and just getting into, or back into cycling, then I would recommend the 50/34 front and either 11-27, 12-27 or 12-28 rear cassette. Again, speaking from experience of mashing up big hills, there is a noticeable difference even between a 25 and a 27.

The 53/39 fronts and 11-25/23 rears are for the folks who really have their stuff together; weight and fitness wise. And good luck to them... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 am

Xplora wrote:
TimW wrote:Spill the beans!!!!!!!the road son tell em the road!!!!
I have started training today, doing some sprints and suchlike on the ride home to try and make the magic happen.

I went up that hill I was talking about in 50/19, maybe 50/18. Just grind grind grind. I think it really was psychological. I also made sure I was not busting my cafoofle leading up to it.

Anyways... Xplora 1, Hill 0.
Funny you say that. This morning I did my weekly run at the 20% 500m hill. Felt normal - like my eyeballs were about to pop out - it's a grind. Got to the top where there's a false flat and sat back onto the saddle. For some reason I went to drop down a gear. And instead of hitting the limiter, it let me drop down. I did the 20% on the 24.

mirz

Postby mirz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm

jimboss wrote:For starters we don't even know what cassette the OP has...

I guess we are saying the same thing, but we have two different experiences. For me, for the terrain that I enjoy riding, I wouldn't give up my 28 for much. For you, a much smaller/closer cassette will do.

I do think that encouraging a new rider to give up a few gears is a surefire way to bum them out when they can't make it up a climb. Or when their knees are so sore that they throw the towel in.

My thoughts on the question from the OP would be: sure, work out what cassette you have. However, spend a few months riding it (at least), then work out the weaknesses of your current setup, then make a decision on whether more or less teeth would be beneficial to the terrain that you enjoy riding.

I would also suggest that, the early stages of riding should be about building base, not grinding up hills in bigger than required gears to build power. Just my opinion on that and I'm sure there are other opinions out there.
thats very correct, and all i'm doing at this stage is to improve stamina and reach to level where it would be comfortable to join more riding groups for weekend rides.

bought a Giant Cross City 2 in April this year to prepare myself for Ride to Concquer Cancer Ride, and did that just last month. this was like riding bike after 20 years for me. first time a bike with gears :)

i have done so far about 1000 kms since April this year. but during RTCC realized that i need a better bike to carry on with this new hobby. so upgraded to a TCR 1 advanced couple of weeks ago.

my regular ride to work and back home about 55 kms return trip, which i'm currently doing 2-3 times a week. but it would be full time from 13th Dec (once train ticket will expire :))

i will upload my starva profile here in sig soon, currently transferring data from runkeeper to strava.
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

mirz wrote:
jimboss wrote:For starters we don't even know what cassette the OP has...

I guess we are saying the same thing, but we have two different experiences. For me, for the terrain that I enjoy riding, I wouldn't give up my 28 for much. For you, a much smaller/closer cassette will do.

I do think that encouraging a new rider to give up a few gears is a surefire way to bum them out when they can't make it up a climb. Or when their knees are so sore that they throw the towel in.

My thoughts on the question from the OP would be: sure, work out what cassette you have. However, spend a few months riding it (at least), then work out the weaknesses of your current setup, then make a decision on whether more or less teeth would be beneficial to the terrain that you enjoy riding.

I would also suggest that, the early stages of riding should be about building base, not grinding up hills in bigger than required gears to build power. Just my opinion on that and I'm sure there are other opinions out there.
thats very correct, and all i'm doing at this stage is to improve stamina and reach to level where it would be comfortable to join more riding groups for weekend rides.

bought a Giant Cross City 2 in April this year to prepare myself for Ride to Concquer Cancer Ride, and did that just last month. this was like riding bike after 20 years for me. first time a bike with gears :)

i have done so far about 1000 kms since April this year. but during RTCC realized that i need a better bike to carry on with this new hobby. so upgraded to a TCR 1 advanced couple of weeks ago.

my regular ride to work and back home about 55 kms return trip, which i'm currently doing 2-3 times a week. but it would be full time from 13th Dec (once train ticket will expire :))

i will upload my starva profile here in sig soon, currently transferring data from runkeeper to strava.
I just did a quick look - 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 1 comes with an Ultegra 11-25 cassette.

If I were you, I'd ride that cassette for some time and work out its (and your own) limitations. For now, enjoy that awesome bike you just bought yourself!

mirz

Postby mirz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm

thanks for the advise, mine is 2011 (Shimano Ultegra 10sp. 12-25T).

i will be riding with original for atleast Dec and Jan, will findout how body will react after that. you guys are right, should give body a chance before changing gears.
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

For all you mashers on the climbs Froome used 38 x 32 at the Vuelta on the extremely steep stages while Contador went even lower with 36 x 32 (equivalent to 34 x 30).

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:10 pm

biker jk wrote:For all you mashers on the climbs Froome used 38 x 32 at the Vuelta on the extremely steep stages while Contador went even lower with 36 x 32 (equivalent to 34 x 30).
They are also pro cyclists that need to save their legs for a Tour, not just a ride with the lads.

I definitely agree that a lot of the best riders are going super low with their cassettes etc but they have access to whatever gear they need and want, and can make changes based on HRM data, power data etc from the rest of the race. They can adapt their gear to their situation, and have the information to do so effectively.

There is no way, for ANY riding I am planning in next 12 months, that needs such a big sprocket, but I'm not riding 140kms up mountains, and then backing up with a time trial the day after. And then another 150kms. Against the fastest riders on the planet. :lol:

frb_bike

Postby frb_bike » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Get the 11-28 (if you are using 39/53 crankset).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 am

biker jk wrote:For all you mashers on the climbs Froome used 38 x 32 at the Vuelta on the extremely steep stages while Contador went even lower with 36 x 32 (equivalent to 34 x 30).
+1 and going up there way faster than us mere mortals are capable of. Spinning up is the faster way to climb and the longer the climb the better it is.
Dogs are the best people :wink: