Shimano RS80 C24 VS Dura Ace 7900 C24

boss

Re: Shimano RS80 C24 VS Dura Ace 7900 C24

Postby boss » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:23 am

Got my 7900 c24's on the bike yesterday, circumstances (discovering my aksiums were worn way past the indicators) forced me into taking them to a shop I don't usually frequent instead of a good friend who is a bike mechanic. He would have shown me how to swap the cassette out next time etc...

I've only ridden them for 10km so first impressions aren't conclusive by any means but they seem to spin up real nice and look really cool. The black/raw carbon definitely suits my bike.

Was a bit of a bummer that I paid $50 to the shop to swap my wheels out and change brake pads and they didn't dial the gears in. No biggie, I just did that myself.

I'm unsure if my experience with that shop is representative of normal service - it is TDU week and they got the work done for me at almost no notice with a fully booked workshop. So not going to name and shame (or even judge) because it'd probably be unfair to do so.

Doing a 110km charity ride tomorrow, pretty keen to see how these wheels feel!

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 pm

I have used 7900 C24's, and also had a pair of the RS-80's, Tho I never used them.

Basically I bought the RS80's for a good price ($450 new) and then got to try a pair of C24's from my slighter brother to get an indication of what I would be in for.

Look at Merlincycles to get a decent price. Delivery is free as well.

I'm 6'1" & I weight just shy of 90kgs. The issue I had with C24's was that the spokes - especially in the front wheel - would make straining sounds when I loaded them up out of the saddle. The low spoke count didnt help either (though I did have RS10's for ages before and clouted all kinds of holes with them and they held up fine).

I was just too fearful of snapping spokes and ruining wheels that weren't mine so I went off and got something sturdier and immediately on-sold my RS80's when they arrived.

I guess all I'm adding is that I feel they aren't really for guys that are a bit heavy. Other than that though the build quality of the 2 wheelsets (from my comparison) was great. Like has been stated the difference in weight comes from the hub and is essentially negated in rotational mass.

I'd still go for the RS80's if i was just your average punter doing weekend rides (like me). 100g for a few hundred extra bucks doesn't seem all that great a benefit. If you really worried about weight for racing why not use the money for an even lighter, more aero pair of full Carbon Tub's or clinchers?

Magpie

Postby Magpie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm

When the rim wear indicators indicate the rims at the end of it's life
Is it worth replacing the rim with another C24 or an aftermarket rim?
M

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Magpie wrote:When the rim wear indicators indicate the rims at the end of it's life
Is it worth replacing the rim with another C24 or an aftermarket rim?
M
The C24 rims sell for around $150 each so you're better off looking for a non-Shimano rim. If you want to keep the spokes then you need to find a rim with the same diameter as the C24 and that comes with 16 and 20 hole drillings. When it gets so hard, it's usually easier (and sometimes cheaper) just to buy another set (especially when the RS80s can be bought for less than $500).

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Aftermarket alternative rims with less than 24 spoke holes are virtually non-existant, because the only wheels available with that kind of spoke count are the proprietary wheelsets. The reality is that the only rim you're likely to be able to find to replace a worn C24 is another C24.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.