Shimano Ultegra Di2 or Mechanic DA 7900?

Shimano Ultegra Di2 or Mechanic DA 7900?

Postby kimmie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi all,

I need some inputs regarding group set... should I go with Shimano Ultegra Di2 or Dura Ace 7900 (Mechanics)? I have a try on the Di2 Ultegra today... man they are awesome... my first time using electronic shifter....

Any input or opinion?

Thanks
kimmie

by BNA » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 pm

BNA

Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 or Mechanic DA 7900?

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 pm

I chose DI2 as I like the way it shifts, lack of maint etc. I also think its worth time due to ease of use when you are on the rivet. Weight yeh its heavier not by much to be an issue to me anyway.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose

Postby kimmie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I chose DI2 as I like the way it shifts, lack of maint etc. I also think its worth time due to ease of use when you are on the rivet. Weight yeh its heavier not by much to be an issue to me anyway.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Marty... I like the way it shifts too... amazing... also I heard that electronic shifting works better with 'internal cabling' frame... Is 'ultegra' gruppo any good? compare to DA 7900?
kimmie

Postby AlMac » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Ultegra Di2, no question.

DA 7900 is too close to Ultegra 6700 shifting in my view to warrant going down that path.

Mechanical shifting doesn't work as well on internal cable routing.

You can, apparently, run electric on external cable routing. Not sure though. Try Google.
AlMac

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Ui2 is so far ahead of 7900
Dr_Mutley

Postby kimmie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Ui2 is so far ahead of 7900

Interesting. Would you mind to elaborate more, Dr_Mutley? Thanks
kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm

further research brings me to here:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/04/bikes-and-tech/reviews/the-final-verdict-shimano-ultegra-di2_213995

in the last paragraph, the author wrote:
If we were to head to our local shop with the intention of building up a Di2 bike, the decisions would be easy. As long as having accessory shifters isn’t at the top of your list, and you can live with an extra 149 grams, Ultegra Di2 is the best option.

We’d buy the Dura-Ace crankset, which is significantly lighter, looks nicer, and is a bit quieter than the Ultegra crankset. We’d pick up the Dura-Ace brakes and cassette for the same reasons. But the Dura-Ace Di2 shifters and derailleurs, despite their flashier looks and slimmer figures, just aren’t worth the cash. The near complete lack of performance gain and actual decrease in user friendliness, plus the wiring harness’ imminent obsolescence, would have us looking elsewhere.

Is that means I can keep my DA7900's crankset, brakes, and cassette - then combined them with the Ui2 shifters, and derailleurs? interesting - anyone has a similar setup?
kimmie

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Sorry kimmie... Not much to elaborate on... It's just light & day... I was so disappointed with 7900 after trying to get it shifting properly for 6months. No amount of tuning, and fine tuning could get it to work anywhere as sweetly as my DA 7800 group. Got to the point I detested it, and it made my ride experience terrible (as I knew how good the previous model was and this wasn't in the same ballpark). I bought an electronic shift kit and enjoyed riding once again...

As the article suggests, if u don't mind the weight, looks and battery life penalty, then go ui2, as there is little to no difference in shifting.

Wrt to mixing ui2 with your DA bits, there is no problems, all compatible as long as its 10speed
Dr_Mutley

Postby kimmie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Sorry kimmie... Not much to elaborate on... It's just light & day... I was so disappointed with 7900 after trying to get it shifting properly for 6months. No amount of tuning, and fine tuning could get it to work anywhere as sweetly as my DA 7800 group. Got to the point I detested it, and it made my ride experience terrible (as I knew how good the previous model was and this wasn't in the same ballpark). I bought an electronic shift kit and enjoyed riding once again...

As the article suggests, if u don't mind the weight, looks and battery life penalty, then go ui2, as there is little to no difference in shifting.

Wrt to mixing ui2 with your DA bits, there is no problems, all compatible as long as its 10speed

Thanks Dr_Mutley... my experience so far with my 7900 is fine... but probably because I came from 105 groupset and have never tried anything else in between. Did you just buy the 'upgrade kit' for DA Di2 for yours, or did you dump your DA7900 and get a complete Ui2 groupset?

Cheers
kimmie

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I've got DA Di2, but have ridden Ui2 with DA drive train, and there is no difference in either with shift quality...,
Dr_Mutley

Postby Ross » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:32 am

It's cheaper to buy complete Ult Di2 group rather than just the upgrade kit. Just sell off the bits you aren't going to use or keep them as spares. Ultegra or Dura Ace parts in VGC are always in demand so you shouldn't have any trouble selling them. You *may* get it slightly cheaper if you really shop around for the parts individually (some from eBay, some from different UK stores) but you really have to know what makes up a Di2 kit and make sure you get everything. When you buy the complete Di2 group you know you get absolutely everything you need.

http://www.bikebug.com/groupsets-comple ... 10215.html

The groupset kit comes with the internal wiring which they won't deduct or take out of the package so If you are putting it on a Roubaix you will need the external wire upgrade which is just under $50 (the price for this has come down, I bought this for my bike a few months ago and they charged me $100! :| ).

http://www.bikebug.com/custom-orders-cu ... 20238.html
Ross

Postby durianrider » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 pm

electronic shifting on a road bike?

Ive riden em all. Clean cables and properly adjusted gears is what matters. Ive riden electronic. Don't rate it. Just more things to go wrong and the shifting feel is what I prefer.

Ive got both sram red groupsets, DA 7800, DA 9000. Mechanical is lighter, cheaper and easier to work on. More reliable too. I remember my gf takin a demo bike out and the battery went flat lol!

I think though for people with disabilities that electronic shifting is EXCELLENT as you can have button mounted shifting etc.
durianrider

Postby greatapoc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am

durianrider wrote:Mechanical is lighter

Correct but barely. Ultegra 6700 2301g. Ultegra Di2 2482g.
cheaper

Correct
easier to work on

There is next to no maintenance required for electronic. The computer works it all out
More reliable too

Debatable
I remember my gf takin a demo bike out and the battery went flat lol!

Keyword there being demo bike. The battery actually lasts quite a long time. If you are stuck out in the sticks and your battery goes flat yes it will be difficult but you can force it into a gear to limp home in. And with the battery indicator on the cockpit there's really no reason to be caught out. Do you go without putting fuel in your car despite all the warning lights blaring at you?
greatapoc

Postby MichaelB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 am

If the price was the same, I'd go for Ultegra Di2 in a heartbeat
MichaelB

Return to Shimano