Shim RS21a / Shim Rs21

Shim RS21a / Shim Rs21

Postby jimconte » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:05 pm

I have decided to buy a set of Shimano rs21 wheels. I have found a pair remarkably cheap compared to other prices but the listing says Shimano rs 21a and all the others are just listed as shimano rs 21. Does anyone know if there is any difference the pictures look the same but the price makes me suspect that the (a) on the end is some older version or something like that. Please help as the set with the (a) on the end is a considerable saving
jimconte

by BNA » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:07 pm

BNA

Re: Shim RS21a / Shim Rs21

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Sure the A-type is RS-21 & not RS-20? My quick research does show the existence of RS-20-A, but no such version of RS-21, only black & silver options.

For reference, the RS-20 is not 11-sp. compatible, the RS-21 is 11-sp. (back-compatible with 8/9/10 with an additional spacer).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby jimconte » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Thankyou for your help duck but a little confused by your answer so is there no difference between a wheelset that is listed as Shim rs 21a or Shim rs 21(minus the a) :D
jimconte

Postby drpants » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:14 am

They're fine wheels but at around $200 or so I would highly think about reconsidering your options.

What wheelset do you have now? If they're something reasonable in the $100ish range (R500, RS10, even aksium) it wouldn't be worth upgrading unless you need 11-speed capability.

I'd save up your cash for something midrange instead such as Ksyrium elite or RS80, otherwise stick with something basic to do for now.
drpants

Postby jimconte » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I have mavic cxp-22 wheels with sora hubs which were fine until I took to my local bike shop for a rear wheel service as a tic had developed they replaced the cones with non shimano cones they did not even have a seal ring on the left cone and they broke the dust cover and replaced it with a hybrid dust cover which does not even come close to running flush with the cone since then my bike rides bad and has a lot more resistance on the road so im not upgrading just fixing the r501,s look good enough but thought I would go a little better so the rs21's seemed for me I could get mavic askym,s or fulcrum 5 or 7,s but I love shimano and do not want cartridge bearing wheels. ofcourse I would love a set of ultegra,s but just cant fork out that sought of money. I was just going to get r-501,s but then was told the rs 21,s are much better for the extra $70 would you agree. I ride about 300km's a month for fun also commute a lot but on a different bike which I don't count towards my km,s and I go in atleast one tri-athalon a year.
jimconte

Return to Shimano