used dura ace vs new ultegra

used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby RRalphy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:07 pm

I am currently getting a groupset together for a build and have the option following options and dont really know what to do, opinions would be valued:

option 1: dura ace 7900 groupset slightly used (~1000km) for $900
option 2: mix matched groupset new ultegra (chain cassette brakes) and used (500km) dura ace (RD FD cranks and shifters) for $800
option 3: brand new ultegra 6800 (11 spd) from the UK for $860

which would you go for? is dura ace so much better than ultegra to warrant me getting moderately used parts instead of getting brand new ultegra? I know the dura ace will weigh less ( http://www.totalcycling.com/component-weights.html )
RRalphy
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

by BNA » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:29 pm

BNA
 

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:29 pm

i think thats a pretty good price for 7900 in that condition

Do you have wheels? cos you'll need to factor that in if you go 11spd 6800.
User avatar
jaseyjase
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:36 pm

RRalphy wrote:I am currently getting a groupset together for a build and have the option following options and dont really know what to do, opinions would be valued:

option 1: dura ace 7900 groupset slightly used (~1000km) for $900
option 2: mix matched groupset new ultegra (chain cassette brakes) and used (500km) dura ace (RD FD cranks and shifters) for $800
option 3: brand new ultegra 6800 (11 spd) from the UK for $860

which would you go for? is dura ace so much better than ultegra to warrant me getting moderately used parts instead of getting brand new ultegra? I know the dura ace will weigh less ( http://www.totalcycling.com/component-weights.html )


others may think differently but personally... id go for the brand new ULTEGRA... peace of mind

you say its "slightly used" how slightly, is ...slightly?

1000km?... i dont recall groupsets having odometers... so you only can go by what people tell you and take their word for it.

i clean my chain every 30km ride... yes thats excessive... but 1000km with TLC i assume would be different to 1000km of someone that cleans the drivetrain once in a while.


my TT bike came with Full ultegra groupset except for the chain and the shifter.

i swapped it all to Dura-ace..just for the sake of it.. for the status..everything..rear + front derailleur, chain & even the composite $300AUD+ Pedals.
except for the crankset which i installed a Vision/FSA for the carbon look.

To be honest, feeling wise.... i don't really notice much of a difference.. and i dont think you will notice either.


same as the ceramic bearing jockey wheels and ceramic bottom bracket bb30 that costed just under $300... there was really no difference felt.
unless maybe the placebo effect.

imo... Ultegras work real flawlessly and seem to be based on the Dura-Ace designs.... some things almost look identical
Last edited by DoubleSpeeded on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DoubleSpeeded
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:39 pm

I have been riding a bike fitted with DA7900 for about the last 4 years and recently bought a new bike fitted with Dura Ace 9000, 11 speed.
DA 9000 is vastly more impressive than DA 7900 in terms of smoothness, ease and precision of gear changes.
I am presuming that the quality and design of the new Ultegra 11 speed is very similar to DA9000.
I'd go the new Ultegra.
My DA7900 has never changed gears in a crisp manner. It has always felt sloppy despite mine and several other peoples (including LBS and several "old hands")attempts to tune it up. I have read other like criticism of DA7900.
User avatar
Tim
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby macca33 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:29 pm

NEW Ultegra 6800 - no question - unless you will have issues with having / buying an 11-speed compatible wheelset.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

Image
macca33
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby RRalphy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:37 pm

I have dura ace c24 wheels with an 11 speed hub so no issues there
RRalphy
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Tim wrote:I have been riding a bike fitted with DA7900 for about the last 4 years and recently bought a new bike fitted with Dura Ace 9000, 11 speed.
DA 9000 is vastly more impressive than DA 7900 in terms of smoothness, ease and precision of gear changes.
I am presuming that the quality and design of the new Ultegra 11 speed is very similar to DA9000.
I'd go the new Ultegra.
My DA7900 has never changed gears in a crisp manner. It has always felt sloppy despite mine and several other peoples (including LBS and several "old hands")attempts to tune it up. I have read other like criticism of DA7900.


+1. Shifting is better on Ultegra 6800 versus Dura-Ace 7900. Brakes are better as well. Cassettes and chains will be a lot cheaper to replace.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Grab the 6800 Ultegra. The shift quality is vastly superior to 7900. (Many say 9000/6800 is the step above 7800 that 7900 should have been.)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:33 am

I couldn't get rid of 7900 DA quick enough... I hated it... Terrible... My 7800 DA was a thousand times better... I ditched it for 7970 Di2 and it was the best thing I ever did..,
Image
Dr_Mutley
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:01 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:i clean my chain every 30km ride... yes thats excessive... but 1000km with TLC i assume would be different to 1000km of someone that cleans the drivetrain once in a while.

Hehe - that is a severe case of OCD. What would you do on a 100km ride, stop twice to clean your chain? :lol:

1000km is only one month's riding for me - with a wipe down and lube using R'n'R Gold once a week.

Assuming that the 1000km of use is correct, then that is nothing for a group that is built to handle a pro rider's 30,000 p.a. base kilometres.

The real question here is whether 10sp DA or 11sp Ultegra is better. Personally I'd go 11sp but I can understand the appeal of DA. However it is astonishing that a change to 11sp requires a new wheelset if that is true.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5236
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:48 am

RonK wrote:However it is astonishing that a change to 11sp requires a new wheelset if that is true.

What's so astonishing about needing a new wheel to suit the wider cassette?
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:54 am

you don't need a new wheel set... the cycling industry just relies on people with too much money and no skills to do anything but swipe their credit card

that's a 10 speed shimano free hub and a 11 speed cassette

Image

that's a 11 speed cassette on said 10 speed shimano hub

Image

how about a 10 speed zipp free hub

Image

ive done DT swiss and novatec free hubs as well..
dale79
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:13 am

It's cheaper to buy an appropriate wheel than the equipment to do that kind of modification....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:29 am

its not exactly hard to find someone with the right equipment to do it. most will do it for a lazy $20 as its not exactly precision machining or time consuming..
dale79
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:29 am

Fantastic that you have done that, but from the back ground in your photo, it looks like a lathe is required?
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 am

you could do it with a dremel or file if you were so inclined just might take a little bit longer lol
dale79
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Duck! wrote:
RonK wrote:However it is astonishing that a change to 11sp requires a new wheelset if that is true.

What's so astonishing about needing a new wheel to suit the wider cassette?

There is no need to change or modify wheels to use Campy 11sp. Campy freehubs are compatible with 9,10 and 11sp.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5236
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:34 pm

RonK wrote:
Duck! wrote:
RonK wrote:However it is astonishing that a change to 11sp requires a new wheelset if that is true.

What's so astonishing about needing a new wheel to suit the wider cassette?

There is no need to change or modify wheels to use Campy 11sp. Campy freehubs are compatible with 9,10 and 11sp.

Campag cassettes have traditionally been wider than their Shimano equivalents, although 9-sp. was pretty close. That allowed a bit more space to pack the 11th gear in than Shimano's setup. As a side note, Mavic Shimano-pattern hubs have always required a 2mm spacer behind the cassette (my guess is it's a compensatory measure to correct for the flange spacing allowing the longer Campag-pattern freewheel body, although it's curious that no other manufacturer does this). As such, they're about the only older wheels that are 11-sp. compatible by removing this spacer.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: used dura ace vs new ultegra

Postby Pottsy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:19 pm

if your wheels is campy compatible just do this
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/ ... ght_303199
Pottsy
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:12 pm


Return to Shimano

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter