Shimano MTB shoe sizing

Shimano MTB shoe sizing

Postby Daus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Has anyone had experience with the shimano MTB shoe sizing chart- how accurate is it? did you have to size up or down? what is the width like. I have been looking at some shoes online and just wanted some feedback on Shimano sizing- thanks, Don
Daus

by BNA » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

BNA

Re: Shimano MTB shoe sizing

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Hard to say - they're all relative. I'm a 45 in Shimano road shoes, Vittoria and Bontrager high-end mtb shoes, but a 44 in Specialized. I'm a 45 in a dhb mtb shoe but the heel is way loose.

The Shimano road shoes are snugger than the Bontragers, in which I have to cinch up the left shoe ratchet all the way to get it to acceptable firmness to stop foot slip within the shoe. The Vittorias (God rest their soles) were all velcro fasteners but again, needed to be fully cinched up on the main strap. The Specialized are a nice snug fit but the cuff is too high and digs into my left ankle a bit, but are otherwise OK and the flex in the sole is just right for scrabbling around the rocks for a bit of hike-a-bike.

The Shimano R071s are a happy medium. Snug, with the ratchet at about the middle.

Somewhere in that blather there might be some useful information. Let me know when you find it and you might win a prize.

Then again you might not. If your feet are the same shape as mine, your chances are better. ;)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby gossy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I wear a 46 in normal shoes.

The first pair of Shimano MTB shoes I bought were the MT42 in Size 46 and fit perfect as I have wide feet.

I then proceeded to buy Pearl Izumi, Northwave and DHB in the same size but they were way too narrow, one of the problems of buying online.

I thought I would buy another pair of Shimano's as I had success in the past.

I then bought a pair of M087 in Wide Fit, still way too narrow and hurt like hell, so had to sell them as well.

My advice is try before you buy as sizing is all over the place and very difficult if you have wide feet.
gossy

Postby clackers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:34 pm

gossy wrote:
The first pair of Shimano MTB shoes I bought were the MT42 in Size 46 and fit perfect as I have wide feet.

Same story as me in every respect, Gossy - "snap"!

+1 to the advice to always try on. Don't simply order on the web unseen.
clackers

Postby Daus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 am

Ok buying online is probably not a good idea- I will have to do some travelling until I find what I am after- thanks for the replies.
Daus

Postby Blackrock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 am

I bought the same size in shimano MTB shoes as normal runners.
Best bet is to go to an LBS and try them on. Go in late arvo as your feet have swollen by then and will be at their 'largest'. Take your regular cycling socks too.
If you're cheeky, then you just order the right size online. Give the LBS a chance to beat that price of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

www.merida.com.au
Blackrock

Postby Duck! » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:10 am

I've found my M183s to be a little wide in the heel for my feet, but in other areas they are pretty close to my current Louis Garneau & long-gone Vittoria road shoes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby Daus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Bought some shoes- I called into a bike store that is located near the gym I train in. My first pair of cycling shoes- I tried on heaps of shoes, they are having a sale and eventually settled on some shimano SH-M088L in size 46- my shoe size is 10.5 UK and they fit my long narrow and somewhat bent feet perfectly and the other brands not so good.
Daus

Postby antigee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 pm

just bought some shimano MT33 shoes more like touring/commute than serious mtb to replace some I think MT41 shoes - rightly or wrongly a Wiggle purchase and all the wiggle reviews seemed to say go a size big (not just on this model) now I've had a couple of pairs same size as my runners and my toes def hit end when feet hot but not painfully so just on some hills so I went to size bigger and they are comfy but feel too big ! pity not in half sizes! so for comfort a size bigger but possibly a bit loose at heel, I've got narrow feet and would say shoes are narrow at mid/front and wider at heel!
for a reasonable fit same size as runners but if borderline on runners might be a problem - :) always a tough call
edited added width comment
antigee

Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Return to Shimano