Replacement Shimano heat-moldable insoles

trailgumby

Replacement Shimano heat-moldable insoles

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:10 pm

I have a set of XC90 shoes for the mtb, and the moldable insole is the best thing for my feet and knees since sliced bread .... erm, that comparison doesn't make sense but you get the gist I'm sure.

Without having to lash out and replace a perfectly serviceable set of R170 carbon shoes, does anyone know where the heat-moldable insoles might be available separately?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Replacement Shimano heat-moldable insoles

Postby Duck! » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:37 pm

You've used sliced bread for insoles? :mrgreen:

The heat-mouldable soles are supposedly available as a spare part, but getting them may be a different story, might take some hunting. The insole is only one part of the heat moulding package, and the R170 isn't a mouldable shoe, so you may not get the same benefit you do in the MTB shoe.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Duck! wrote:You've used sliced bread for insoles? :mrgreen:

The heat-mouldable soles are supposedly available as a spare part, but getting them may be a different story, might take some hunting. The insole is only one part of the heat moulding package, and the R170 isn't a mouldable shoe, so you may not get the same benefit you do in the MTB shoe.
The heat moldable shoe needs vacuum bagging to work properly, which I've never done since they were bought from AU online retailer MTB Direct rather than a local bricks-and-mortar. But the shoe last seems to be the same, just with different stuff glued above and below so I think my chances of an improved result are better than average :)

beanbiken

Postby beanbiken » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:41 am

Hi, Bike Bug have the small Lake Raven mouldable insoles at the moment with other sizes coming. I have had a pair on order for some time so hope to see them soon.

Steve M

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 pm

I use these. Use a hairdryer and warm them, put them in your shoes without cleats and wear them for 30mins.

http://www.clubwarehouse.com.au/AH_dash ... LUE/pd.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:22 pm

Tried swapping the soles from MTB shoes to Roadie shoes, and I reckon it will be an improvement. Managed to find a pair on Amazon out of Japan.

Thanks for yoru help.