Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

andrich
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby andrich » Mon May 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a Giant TCR Advanced SL and currently run Ultegra 10 speed groupset.
I am looking to go from the current 53/39 to a semi-compact 52/36, however this requires me to go to the 11 speed 6800 Ultegra set.

I have a couple of questions.
-If i am currently running the 10 speed set up if i buy the 6800 11 speed set up below is that all i require to do the change? is that a good price?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... prod110818

-What size and style BB do i need? i think its English but im not 100% sure

-Is there anything i can keep from my 10 speed setup that is compatible or is it just the brakes?

- What would a second hand Ultegra 10 speed groupset be worth? 53/39, 11-28 cassette. All in good condition with a couple of grazes but functions perfectly

thanks for answering the questions
cheers
Michael

beanbiken
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 am

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby beanbiken » Mon May 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Michael, 10 speed crank/chainrings will work fine. The BB is different but will still be fine if you choose to change to the 6800 series crank and of course brakes are fine as you know. I'm running a 11 speed DA crank with a 10 speed DA [7900] BB and drive train............ no issues

Steve M

andrich
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby andrich » Mon May 09, 2016 4:58 pm

thanks for the response Steve.
I just sent you a PM
cheers

2wheels_mond
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby 2wheels_mond » Mon May 09, 2016 5:29 pm

You don't need a whole new group, just a new crankset. The Ultegra 6800 will work fine with everything else, and you don't even need to change bottom brackets

andrich
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby andrich » Mon May 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Ahk i did ask the wiggle help desk and they indicated it wouldnt work.
So would this be the one i could go for?
http://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-ultegr ... -chainset/

They do a 52/36 in 172.5mm and 175mm

thanks

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 6196
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby Duck! » Mon May 09, 2016 6:53 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:You don't need a whole new group, just a new crankset. The Ultegra 6800 will work fine with everything else, and you don't even need to change bottom brackets

This is absolutely spot-on. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

andrich
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby andrich » Mon May 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Excellent!!!
Is the performance compromised at all in terms of shifting or anything?

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 6196
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby Duck! » Mon May 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Not to any noticeable extent. I had a customer do the opposite (10-sp. crank in 11-sp. system 'cos at that stage spare rings weren't easy to get) a few years ago for a riding trip to Europe, complete with big hills, and she said it worked perfectly. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:23 pm

Yes I've just done that.
Kept my Sram S900 10s cranks 53/39 and changed front and rear derailleurs, shifters and cassette to ultegra 6800 11s. No probs.
The 6800 does shift with a lighter action than 6700 and with a GS or mid cage rear derailleur you can run a 32t rear cassette. Not sure if the SS short cage derailleur does or not, shimano doesn't list it as doing so? So I got the GS.

http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bik ... 00-gs.html

http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bik ... 00-ss.html

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 12691
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 09, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm running 11-speed Rotor 3D+ cranks on Ultegra 6700 everything else and I have found it is prone to dropping the chain off the inside a lot. Probably once every 100km. Quite annoying.

However, a K-Edge drop stopper has cured all my ills. I haven't dropped a chain since. It's as good as the 2x10 on my mountain bike with the clutch rear derailleur.

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 6196
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby Duck! » Mon May 09, 2016 8:51 pm

warthog1 wrote:Not sure if the SS short cage derailleur does or not, shimano doesn't list it as doing so.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the short cage derailleur will do it, but when paired with a wide-range double (i.e. compact or mid-compact with 16T chainring difference) it does push the derailleur very close to the limit of the chain wrap it can handle, which is why Shimano only recommend the 30T with it. The upper body which determines the sprocket clearance is the same for both versions, so there's no reason why you can't use the standard derailleur with the 32T when paired to a tighter-range chainring pair.

trailgumby wrote:I'm running 11-speed Rotor 3D+ cranks on Ultegra 6700 everything else and I have found it is prone to dropping the chain off the inside a lot. Probably once every 100km. Quite annoying.
That could be more to do with being a different brand crank than the 10/11-sp. thing. Shimano's later cranks (2nd-gen 10-sp onward) have wider chainring spacing than most others, so the derailleur swing is calibrated to match. Setting up on closer-spaced rings can be a little bit troublesome.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 pm

Duck! wrote:I can tell you with absolute certainty that the short cage derailleur will do it, but when paired with a wide-range double (i.e. compact or mid-compact with 16T chainring difference) it does push the derailleur very close to the limit of the chain wrap it can handle, which is why Shimano only recommend the 30T with it. The upper body which determines the sprocket clearance is the same for both versions, so there's no reason why you can't use the standard derailleur with the 32T when paired to a tighter-range chainring pair.


Thanks.

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 12691
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Duck! wrote:
trailgumby wrote:I'm running 11-speed Rotor 3D+ cranks on Ultegra 6700 everything else and I have found it is prone to dropping the chain off the inside a lot. Probably once every 100km. Quite annoying.
That could be more to do with being a different brand crank than the 10/11-sp. thing. Shimano's later cranks (2nd-gen 10-sp onward) have wider chainring spacing than most others, so the derailleur swing is calibrated to match. Setting up on closer-spaced rings can be a little bit troublesome.

Sounds right. Thanks. :)

Incidentally I dropped the chain with the K-Edge drop stopper for the first time tonight, on the way home. I had a bus up my ass, which wasn't fun, but I think it was user error. I'd had a close passer shave my elbow not long before so was a little distracted and probably didn;t complete the downshift properly before coming to rest at the traffic lights. :|

andrich
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby andrich » Tue May 10, 2016 9:59 pm

so although It will cost me a lot more I think I have settled on a change to the 11 speed set up c
Now I have to decide whether to go a 11-28 or 11-32 cassette with the 52/36 rings.
Is the 32 only really necessary for big hills? I did the orange Newcrest ride this year with my 52/39 and 11-28. The couple of steep hills there nearly got me but I managed.
I am hoping to work towards the 3 peaks challenge in the coming years. Would I be better served with the 32 or would the 28 suffice? I am reasonably strong but a heavy rider.

It may sound silly (as it probably does fit) but can someone just 100% confirm that this setup with be compatible with my tcr. I just wanna make sure before I purchase.
My wheels are 10/11 speed compatible so no issues there.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 6196
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby Duck! » Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 am

It works.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

beanbiken
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 am

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby beanbiken » Wed May 11, 2016 11:22 am

You may need a medium/long cage deralliuer to handle the 32 cog. My suggestion is to also buy compact rings [50/34] and swap when you are doing your big/tough climbs that is how I handle it. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove the crank, swap CR's and reinstall. If you have the chain length correct you won't need to alter any of that. The only time I really needed the compact was for BawBaw........

Steve
Last edited by beanbiken on Wed May 11, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:20 pm

andrich wrote:so although It will cost me a lot more I think I have settled on a change to the 11 speed set up c
Now I have to decide whether to go a 11-28 or 11-32 cassette with the 52/36 rings.
Is the 32 only really necessary for big hills? I did the orange Newcrest ride this year with my 52/39 and 11-28. The couple of steep hills there nearly got me but I managed.
I am hoping to work towards the 3 peaks challenge in the coming years. Would I be better served with the 32 or would the 28 suffice? I am reasonably strong but a heavy rider.


Get both
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 537f3mi69g
Use the 28-11 for regular duties and bung the 32-11 on for the big hills. The 32 is really just a bail out gear which is good to have there in case.
Cassettes wear anyway so it doesn't hurt to lash out on another when you can afford it.
I run the 28-11 normally and save the 32 for steep long days.
You wont regret going 11 speed, the shifting is nicer than 10s

BugsBunny
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby BugsBunny » Fri May 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Choice of going with 11-32 or 11-28 is dependent on what terrain you ride and your physical ability.

But I reckon 11-32 is on balance a "safer" choice as you only miss one of the heavier gears (15T I think) but you gain the 32 which makes up for the lost 15T easily. For me, if the gradient hits around 10 and the climb is 5 min or more, I'm sure to be using my 32T.

andrich
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Bying new groupset- Ultegra 10 speed 52/36

Postby andrich » Sun May 22, 2016 7:12 pm

thanks for all your responses.

After much consideration i ended up going the 52/36 11 speed with 11-28.
I had it installed on friday and have done 100km since.
IT IS AWESOME.
Well worth the money and i would recommend anyone who is thinking of upgrading to stop thinking and do it.
Shifting is so light and precise, love the gearing and the brakes are a big improvement over the 6700.
thanks again

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users