I've got the following DI2 components which I bought separately
- 6870 ST (left)
- 6870 ST (right)
- SM-EW67-A-E (junction A)
- FD-9070
- RD-6870 medium cage
- SM-JC41 (junction B)
- SM-BMR1 (short mount)

After installing the components, i could not get the shifters to perform the shifting functions for both the front and the rear derraileurs. However, when I pressed the shifting switch on the junction A for 5 secs, the FD and RD moved. So i believe the connections between junction A to FD and RD are fine, but somehow, there is no connection/response from the shifters.

I read the E-tube compatibility chart and SM-EW67-A-E is supposed to be compatible to 6870ST.

I am not sure what is wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,
Ken

Duck!
Expert

Re: Troubleshooting - installation of Ultegra DI2

Postby Duck! » Sat May 28, 2016 9:51 pm

First port of call is to ensure the cables from the upper junction are plugged into the shifters properly. They do need quite a firm push to click them in place (this goes for all connections). Holding the button on the junction box for 5 seconds triggers the reset/self check mode, typically used after a hit that activates crash protection release function in the rear derailleur to reconnect & reactivate it.

Have you plugged into the E-Tube software to check the firmware version of each component? If they're different versions (quite possible having bought the bits separately) they won't talk to each other properly. You'll need to get hold of the SM-PCE1 interface box from someone or take the bike to a shop, plug it into the E-Tube program and make sure everything is updated.

You will also be able to check if there's a problem with one of the components while it's plugged in.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 am

agree with Duck. When I installed mine I hadn't clicked the cables into the shifters correctly. tilt the connectors out from the shifters and using the tool push really hard til you hear the click. also confirm the cables are correctly plugged into the SM-EW67

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm

jasonc wrote:...also confirm the cables are correctly plugged into the SM-EW67
Cables from EW67 to the shifters are hard-wired to the junction. The only plug connection is to the lower system, which the self-check has shown to be properly connected.

The three possible causes of the problem are:
1) Cables not plugged to shifters securely
2) Shifters different firmware edition and not talking to derailleurs - update via E-Tube will fix this if required
3) Faulty EW67 junction box - unlikely given it triggered self-check mode normally.

rainbow-merida

Postby rainbow-merida » Tue May 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi,

I would like to thank you all for the suggestions. I went to upgrade the firmware and now they are working fine. Cost me $40, but it was worth it.

regards,
Ken

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Splendid! :-D