New MTB brakes - Shimano M675 vs M7000?

AndrewF80

New MTB brakes - Shimano M675 vs M7000?

Postby AndrewF80 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Hey everyone

I have a bike that came with Deore BM596 brakes. The rears were never very good and needed constant attention. Seems like they leak mineral oil on the pads and discs which doesn't really help either.

So I want to replace them but I'm struggling to make a choice and hope that I can get some input from you guys. I'm thinking that the SLX BR-M675 brakes look pretty good for the price. They get good reviews (so did the 596s tho...) The thing is, there are new SLX BR-M7000s and I can't tell if it's worth getting those over the 675s.

Anyone got any experience with these and can offer any advice? The 675s are quite a bit cheaper and come to think of it, I'm a pretty basic rider and doubt I need anything cutting edge...

Sanity check? Thanks!

trailgumby

Re: New MTB brakes - Shimano M675 vs M7000?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 pm

AndrewF80 wrote:Hey everyone

I have a bike that came with Deore BM596 brakes. The rears were never very good and needed constant attention. Seems like they leak mineral oil on the pads and discs which doesn't really help either.

So I want to replace them but I'm struggling to make a choice and hope that I can get some input from you guys. I'm thinking that the SLX BR-M675 brakes look pretty good for the price. They get good reviews (so did the 596s tho...) The thing is, there are new SLX BR-M7000s and I can't tell if it's worth getting those over the 675s.

Anyone got any experience with these and can offer any advice? The 675s are quite a bit cheaper and come to think of it, I'm a pretty basic rider and doubt I need anything cutting edge...

Sanity check? Thanks!
I have the Ice Tech XT's and they're superb not sure of the model number but the olny difference to the current model is a slight change to the i-Spec integrated shifter mount (if you want to lose a clamp from your handlebars and free up some real estate) and a change in colour scheme.

The only thing the SLX's lack vs XTs are the bite point adjustment and a bit of extra machining to reduce weight. A mate has them and they are every bit as good as the more expensive brakeset I have.

For the extra $20 an end I'd go the current model number as it includes a compatible IS-to-post mount adapter and the bar clamp is i-Spec II compatible.

If your Deore caliper is leaking brake fluid you can pick up replacement calipers separately, but I'd recommend biting the bullet and replacing them as the current model brakes are a quantum improvement.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:47 pm

M7000 is a mild evolution of M675. The biggest operating difference between the two is that M7000 has considerably better modulation, which you'll also notice over your current M596 (the M596 lever is very closely related to the M666/675/785).
trailgumby wrote:For the extra $20 an end I'd go the current model number as it includes a compatible IS-to-post mount adapter and the bar clamp is i-Spec II compatible.
That's unlikely; never have I seen brakes supplied with adaptors, due to the options of rotor sizes. On the I-Spec mounting integration, the I-Spec-II system on M7000 will ONLY allow Shimano 11-sp. shifters to be fitted. I-Spec-B as found on your current M596 and the M675 will allow the direct mounting of both 10- and 11-sp. shifters, M8000 XT and M9000 XTR shifters are available with both I-Spec mounting options.
If your Deore caliper is leaking brake fluid you can pick up replacement calipers separately, but I'd recommend biting the bullet and replacing them as the current model brakes are a quantum improvement.
Actually, the improvement isn't that drastic; as previously mentioned, the M596 lever (which incidentally got rebadged into the current M615 Deore lever) is very closely related to the M785/M675 unit; the main difference is the Deore needs an allen key to adjust the reach, the others have a knob, plus it lacks the port for the bite point adjust screw. The caliper is from the previous generation (reprinted M595, derived from M665 SLX/M775 XT/M975 XTR), and is also a very good unit. The only real difference between that and the later models is the Ice-Tech finned brake pad compatibility.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Hey thanks a ton for the fast replies. Sounds like I should just go with the m7000s.

This i-spec thing is confusing me... I didn't even know it existed until tonight. So far, I see it as a way to mount compatible shifters on certain brake lever assemblies. Is that correct? It looks like my Shifters (M670s) are mounted direct on the bar so not taking advantage of any i-spec anyway.

This makes me think I can use the m7000s in the same arrangement, but if I were to intend to mount the shifters on the m7000s, I'd not be able to. Correct? However, if I got the m675s, I could mount the shifters on the brake levers?

I really need to get them off and have a closer look at how they all work.

Thanks again guys, appreciate your knowledge.

Andrew

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Correct, I-Spec, in all three of its evolutions over the last few years, is a means of cleaning up handlebar furniture by attaching the shifters to compatible brake levers rather than clamping them to the bar in the traditional manner, as yours currently are. Should you wish to pursue the I-Spec direction with your existing shifters, you would need a conversion kit which replaces the clamps & upper caps. These will fit to both the M675 and your existing M596 lever if you went the cheaper option trailgumby suggested of just replacing the leaky caliper. It is not possible to attach your M670 shifters to M7000 brakes, so you'd have to stick with your existing separate mountings if you go that way..

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Legend, thanks for clearing that up. I was so confused!

Sincerely appreciate the detailed responses in this thread. Cheers guys

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:27 am

Hey so I thought I'd post a quick follow up to this as I finally found the leak on my m576s! It wasn't the seals after all. There is a microsopic hole in the outer edge of the caliper itself and the fluid leaks out of there!

You can't see it super clearly in the pic where the hole is, but that is a cleaned caliper and a few pumps on the lever. no wonder I have had brake problems since day 1.

Anyway, thought this might be useful to someone/anyone who is having issues with these 576 brakes!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:40 am

How old is the bike? This fault should be repaired under warranty if the bike is less than 12 months old and you should be able to get it fixed if under 2 years, due to the ACC ruling that Apple and other large companies now honour. Worth trying as you have nothing to lose.

The Deore are good brakes which I have on my current MTB - definitely worth trying to fix under warranty first.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:17 am

Shimano warranty is two years, but the brake in question could be nudging four years old now. See how you go on that front, but don't be surprised if it's knocked back.

EDIT for more stuff: The M596 brake was a single-year model for 2013 (released mid-2012) added late in the production run of the M590 Deore series. It retained the caliper from the earlier M595, just with new printing, but got a new lever derived from the M785 XT/M666/M675 SLX, which in its turn carried over with a new number into the then-new-for-2014 M615 Deore, this time with a new caliper, again derived from M785/M666/M675.

If, as I somewhat expect given the time frame, a warranty claim is declined, I'd just chuck a new M615 caliper onto your existing lever. There is virtually no performance difference between that combination, M675 or M7000.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Duck! wrote:M7000 is a mild evolution of M675. The biggest operating difference between the two is that M7000 has considerably better modulation, which you'll also notice over your current M596 (the M596 lever is very closely related to the M666/675/785).
trailgumby wrote:For the extra $20 an end I'd go the current model number as it includes a compatible IS-to-post mount adapter and the bar clamp is i-Spec II compatible.
That's unlikely; never have I seen brakes supplied with adaptors, due to the options of rotor sizes. On the I-Spec mounting integration, the I-Spec-II system on M7000 will ONLY allow Shimano 11-sp. shifters to be fitted. I-Spec-B as found on your current M596 and the M675 will allow the direct mounting of both 10- and 11-sp. shifters, M8000 XT and M9000 XTR shifters are available with both I-Spec mounting options.
On the link that came up in my search, can't remember if it was Wiggle or c r c, the IS mount adapter is shown in the photo. Wouldnae mentioned it otherwise.

Edit: Ah, here we go. It was c r c. http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod148226

Regarding the i-Spec mount on the M675 brakes: Thanks for picking that up, I missed it.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 pm

I would not put absolute faith in their display images representing what's actually shipped - go and look at some of their shifter set listings, you'll often see two right-hand levers! :shock: In all my years in the job, I've never seen brakes shipped with adaptors.

On the I-Spec thing, I made a little bit of a blue too.... The OP's current M596 lever is the original I-Spec-A type, however it is possible to fit I-Spec-B shifters to it.

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:00 am

nickdos wrote:How old is the bike? This fault should be repaired under warranty if the bike is less than 12 months old and you should be able to get it fixed if under 2 years, due to the ACC ruling that Apple and other large companies now honour. Worth trying as you have nothing to lose.

The Deore are good brakes which I have on my current MTB - definitely worth trying to fix under warranty first.
Yeah the bike is old. I think 2013. It had problems since the beginning and the LBS just kept fobbing me off. I was too naive to do anything about it. Lesson learned. Won't go back there again.

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:03 am

Duck! wrote:Shimano warranty is two years, but the brake in question could be nudging four years old now. See how you go on that front, but don't be surprised if it's knocked back.

EDIT for more stuff: The M596 brake was a single-year model for 2013 (released mid-2012) added late in the production run of the M590 Deore series. It retained the caliper from the earlier M595, just with new printing, but got a new lever derived from the M785 XT/M666/M675 SLX, which in its turn carried over with a new number into the then-new-for-2014 M615 Deore, this time with a new caliper, again derived from M785/M666/M675.

If, as I somewhat expect given the time frame, a warranty claim is declined, I'd just chuck a new M615 caliper onto your existing lever. There is virtually no performance difference between that combination, M675 or M7000.
Thank you, again, for that very comprehensive response. I've decided to just order a new set of M675s front and rear and be done with it.

I did contact Shimano. More to let them know about the situation. They were not forthcoming in helping and given the time since I bought the bike, I figured it was just not worth being that annoying customer so let it go. After all, it's really the LBS that let me down in this case.

So hopefully my new brakes get here soon! Pretty excited :P

Cheers all for your time :)

AndrewF80

Postby AndrewF80 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Just wanted to give a follow up to this post. I got my M675 brakes and mounted them pretty easily. The difference in performance over the admittedly faulty deores is like night and day. Seriously, I have to take care I don't go over the handlebars! It has changed my whole perception of my bike. I really never warmed to it and I think a lot of that had to do with the terrible brakes.

So thanks again for your advice and wisdom. Appreciate it.