Upgrade from Sora?

Atomic_Sheep

Upgrade from Sora?

Postby Atomic_Sheep » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got a Specailized Allez Sport with a mix of components, some Sora some no name stuff as well (didn't know you could do that, so wasn't looking out for it when I was making the purchase).

I'm not sure whether I've had this problem since the start although I'm pretty sure I remember when I first got the bike, the gears changed just fine, but now...

If i change the front gears to the small ring and then try to change up, the only way that it will change up is if I also have the rear on the smallest cog, and even then it struggles for a while, otherwise the front derailleur just makes an awful racket and doesn't want to behave.

I've had the bike serviced and have had a look at it myself as well with the help of some youtube videos and the limit screws appear to be set up correctly, although I guess I can push the derailleur out a bit further and risk the chain coming off when changing up.

Anyway... was wondering whether Sora is the problem and whether better groupsets have better gear changes? The rear on the Sora is fine... although recently I've started getting some misshifts with it but it hasn't annoyed me too much yet, I'm more worried about the front gears since they are so unreliable.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Upgrade from Sora?

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Sounds like it needs to be tuned properly. While it lacks the refinement of better groupsets, Sora is well & truly cabable of shifting smoothly and reliably. I'm tipping you have a crank that's not Shimano; certain others have very flexy chainrings which does affect the smoothness of the front shifting.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Atomic_Sheep

Postby Atomic_Sheep » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:19 pm

When should the front derailleur shift? Or should it shift regardless of the position of the chain on the rear chainrings?

The more I think about it, the more I'm remembering that my gears were changing like a dream when new, so I think you're right I just need to learn to set up my groupo properly.

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Atomic_Sheep wrote:When should the front derailleur shift? Or should it shift regardless of the position of the chain on the rear chainrings?

The more I think about it, the more I'm remembering that my gears were changing like a dream when new, so I think you're right I just need to learn to set up my groupo properly.
Should change regardless of which cog the chain is on at the back. Sounds to me that the cable has stretched a little and you need to use the barrel adjuster to adjust the cable tension. Adjust 1/4 turn at a time and test until it shifts okay. The only thing shifting it now seems to be the slight sideways pull when the chain is crossed.

Atomic_Sheep

Postby Atomic_Sheep » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Gocha thanks. Yer at the moment it's a bit all over the shop in terms of changing.