Campagnolo Scirocco 35

Campagnolo Scirocco 35

Postby Storm Boy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd put up a post of wheel weights for the Campagnolo Scirocco 35, as I've just had a set delivered. I've not had a chance to ride them yet but hopefully the info might be useful to someone. If anyone has a set, please feel free to add your opinions/findings :)

Campagnolo Scirocco 35 HG, Shimano freehub, no cassette

Front Wheel with rim tape, no skewer 815g (factory spec 788g)
Rear Wheel with rim tape, no skewer, 1026g (factory spec 1004g)

Front Skewer 55g
Rear Skewer 60g

Front wheel, rim tape and skewer - 870g
Rear wheel, rim tape and skewer - 1086g

Wheelset incl. rim tape, excl. skewers – 1841g
Wheelset incl. rim tape and skewers – 1956g

Regards,

SB
Storm Boy

by BNA » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 am

BNA

Re: Campagnolo Scirocco 35

Postby kman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 am

good to know :D
kman

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Do they have the wider rims going yet? The world went 23mm wide and they stayed 19 :p
Xplora

Postby Storm Boy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:46 am

Mine are 19mm from memory, measured on the inside of the flange/braking track.

Does anyone know what type of bearings these wheels have, i.e. cartridge or cup & cone? I did a 120km ride on the weekend and the rear bearings seem to have loosened up a little, showing a bit of float, and I wouldn't mind adjusting them. I didn't look too closely when I put them on, and although generally mechanically competent, I am not sure what to look for on the outside.

Cheers!

SB

Edit: Just worked it out how to adjust them, a 2 minute job :D Loosen the allen headed grub screw on the little black collar on the non drive side, tighten up just enough to eliminate any play, tighten up grub screw. Check and repeat if necessary.
Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Just a brief follow up on these rims, I've put around 1,000 km on them now and am very happy. They have a deeper section than my originals but transmit a fair bit less road vibration such as when travelling on paved areas.
The freehub was almost silent when new but after a few hundred km the noise gradually increased to a moderate level, not ultra loud though.
Side winds have not been an issue as far as steering is concerned.
I have noticed a little galling (little metal lumps stuck to the front brake track) which came off easily enough. I have since replaced the brake pads so hopefully it will not become an issue. Time will tell.

At the moment I would be happy to recommend the wheels for training/casual riding/commuting. I do not race and so cannot comment on that. I'd happily buy these again.

Hope this helps someone!

Regards,

SB
Storm Boy

Postby macca33 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am

Good wheels these - despite the fact I've only rolled on the Fulcrum versions - R5, R3, R1 and R0 - they are all well made, roll nicely and are strong.

Enjoy them!

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby Storm Boy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 am

Storm Boy wrote:Mine are 19mm from memory, measured on the inside of the flange/braking track.

A little extra info: I measured the wheel rim width a couple of days ago from braking surface to braking surface (outside of the flange), they measure 21.7mm. The wheels are still going well after around 2,000km, no broken spokes or other problems. Just a lot of flat tyres due to glass on the roads I ride on and faulty (deteriorated) patches! New tyres (Conti GP 4 Seasons in 25mm), tubes and decent patches on the way. :D I think the worst I've had was three in a week :shock:

Regards,

SB
Storm Boy

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:27 am

Storm Boy wrote:New tyres (Conti GP 4 Seasons in 25mm), tubes and decent patches on the way. :D I think the worst I've had was three in a week :shock:

Regards,

SB

+1.
Always happy with the Conti 4Seasons. Much better in the wet and are a good deal more puncture resistant that the standard GPs.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Return to Campagnolo