Campy Zonda's - Heavier Riders?

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi All

I have found some Campy Zonda's at a great place - and love the look of them - but are the suited for a 110kg rider who rides hills and some kinda rough tarmac ....

I currently have some DT Swiss R1900 and not happy with them - just don;t feel right and flex when pushing really hard when standing for hills

From what I have researched so far - there seems to be some mixed reviews.

gururug

Re: Campy Zonda's - Heavier Riders?

Postby gururug » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:07 pm

If you can accept a shorter wheel life, go for it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:29 pm

vnbozza wrote:Hi All

I have found some Campy Zonda's at a great place - and love the look of them - but are the suited for a 110kg rider who rides hills and some kinda rough tarmac ....

I currently have some DT Swiss R1900 and not happy with them - just don;t feel right and flex when pushing really hard when standing for hills

From what I have researched so far - there seems to be some mixed reviews.
Shorter life is BS - I'm a 110 kg rider with more than 30,000km on my 6-year old Campy Eurus. Zondas are heavier and presumably stronger.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm a bigger fella and love my Zondas. Go for it.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Campagnolo rate the Zonda wheelset to 109kg........ Personally I'd have no qualms about being a tad over the recommended rider weight limit if you look after the wheels.

My boss rides them (6 months) with spirited effort on crappy road surfaces, dancing on the pedals upo the hills with no issues. I'd expect he's be nudging 100kg.....
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Started off riding at 105kg+ and are now down to 95 after 4 years and those Zondas have gone everywhere evn touring with a pack on the back. I ride with 28mm tyres where my mates have hybrids and I take the roadie on the dirt.

Graham

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Am considering getting some Zondas from wiggle shortly. They come in sub $400 delivered and look hot.

But... Going through an internal dilemma justify buying these over the +$500 Ksyrium Elites. LBS services the Ksyriums vs not holding stock for the Zondas. (but I'm sure would work something out)

And from what I've read the Zondas can suffer from a little front wheel flex. Whereas the Ksyriums are 100% stiff and strong.

I foresee no matter which one I get, I'll think I should have got the other.

Fwiw - I'm +100kg

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Exact same problem that I am having - my favourite LBS stocks and services Mavics.

The Mavic Kysrium Elites do look good - but the reviews are mixed - and it would appear they need more regular servicing compared to other wheels.

I just really like the look of the G3 pattern - to the point I am considering the Eurus wheels now - look beefier and have lots of positive reviews, but is it worth almost double what the Zonda's are ..... not sure yet.

And - I broke I spoke on the weekend on a downhill when freewheeling at 60kmph - so definitely time for something new - and with the Wiggle sale ending soon - a decision has to be made tonight :-)

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Exact. Same. Scenario.

It's tough isn't it? It's killing me. I want to spend so bad.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Couldn't hold out.

Bought the Zondas. $394.30 from wiggle + a set of Conti GP 4000S tyres

Less than half the price I can get them for locally

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

Took the new wheels out for a spin on the extended commute this morning.
With the new tyres as well, there was certainly a lot less rolling resistance on the flats. My average speed in the straights was up by 3-4km/h under the same power output. Did a 400m flat sprint section and was able to crack 60km/h for the first time also.

The biggest difference though, was the short sharp climbs at speed that just kind of disappeared under me. I was sceptical at first with reports of stiffer wheels providing significantly easier climbing, but was pleasantly surprised when I felt it. The old RS10 wheels felt kind of squishy when jumping out of the saddle and putting the power down. These wheels however make me feel as if I’m pushing down on something firm and responsive. The power transfer certainly feels much more efficient.

I’ll be doing a bit more extended climbing this evening on the home run and I’m keen to feel how they respond over an extended period. Very happy with my purchase.

Also on a side note was able to get them from Wiggle at under $400 ordered late Monday night, delivered Friday 2pm, half the price of my LBS and half the time they quoted for delivery.

Very happy with the quality... and the G3 rear wheel with bladed spokes looks hot.

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 pm

A better than expected tax return and Wiggle still had a sale on - so Campy Eurus was ordered last Friday, delivered on Tuesday - and ridden for the first time last night on a flat ride

Initial impressions - these wheels are super light - roll and spin up very quickly - looking forward to hitting the hills on the weekend and seeing how stiff they and responsive they are.

Only complaint (and I should have looked into this first) - the freewheel is silent - this might be a good thing for some - but I like a noisy ones to scare pedestrians instead of having a bell

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I've had my Zondas sitting for 2 weeks now. Been in training mode for City 2 Surf but fitting them up tomorrow. Apparently you can fit them up with a ceramic bearing upgrade kit for about $100 which upgrades them to near Shamal level. Can't wait to get out there and give them a spin.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

vnbozza wrote:Only complaint (and I should have looked into this first) - the freewheel is silent - this might be a good thing for some - but I like a noisy ones to scare pedestrians instead of having a bell
My Zondas have gotten louder as they have worn in.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm

8000k on my Shamal Ultra's with me weighing in at 100 down to 92 and back to 100 kg again (damn should not have had a break this year)
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 pm

vnbozza wrote:Only complaint (and I should have looked into this first) - the freewheel is silent - this might be a good thing for some - but I like a noisy ones to scare pedestrians instead of having a bell

Bad news for you bro'. Your hearing's going.
They all 'click'. My wife won't even ride with me when I have the Khasims on the bike. The Zondas- well usually only one comment per ride. The Eurus- occasionally a comment but I can cope with that.

I am like you guys. When I rode the Zondas for the first time I couldn't believe it. Now I've got the set although the Khasims are for dirt rides with 28mm tyres.

Graham