Campag Super Record 11 v.s. Record EPS

rolandgillead

Campag Super Record 11 v.s. Record EPS

Postby rolandgillead » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of buying a new bike and as luck has it the bike I'm buying will be of a higher quality - which is nice coming from an aluminium frame and general bike of 10+ years old, I'm getting a little excited (picture fat kid, candy shop with no adults in sight type excited).

My budget permits me to get one of two campag group sets (note: not an opportunity to debate SRAM v.s. Shimano here - please move on Trolls :)). I'm looking at either:

Super Record 11 - w/ cables
Record 11 EPS - electronic

I've done a bit of hunting and reading around the traps but there doesn't seem to be a definitive source to help decide between the two. Obviously the EPS is ideal from what I've read but I do take a weight hit from going from Super Record to Record, but is it worth it? Is the EPS far more beneficial than the additional weight? Do other features regarding the Super Record put it over the top of the Record?

Welcome input.

Thanks
RG

Daccordi Rider

Re: Campag Super Record 11 v.s. Record EPS

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm

That's kind of like asking us whether to buy Lamborghini or Ferrari. I'd go EPS, just coz I could.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Assuming you aren't climbing a couple kilometres each week, the weight penalty is essentially nothing. You'll have a bigger weight penalty by carrying a couple tubes :D If you are going to expose your gruppo to the weather at all, go EPS to improve your service life. Nothing worse than having to see the shop all the time to get your bike in functional condition.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:55 pm

I just got Record EPS on my new steed, I think I am in Love :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm

They could have bolted that gruppo to an old toilet with some handlebars and you'll still reckon it was the bees knees ;)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Xplora wrote:They could have bolted that gruppo to an old toilet with some handlebars and you'll still reckon it was the bees knees ;)
In case this is misinterpreted, I'm extremely jealous :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm still using Chorus, but my wife has Super Record on her bike. It's very impressive. But given the choice I'd opt for electronic shifting, even if that meant Athena EPS.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Xplora wrote:
Xplora wrote:They could have bolted that gruppo to an old toilet with some handlebars and you'll still reckon it was the bees knees ;)
In case this is misinterpreted, I'm extremely jealous :lol:
me misinterpret..................................never!!!!! Lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Possibly being picky ... but if you want EPS, wait till they've cleaned up the cabling and battery.
Considering the price I think it looks under done.

Hey but then again you can just upgrade latter :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm

jimh wrote:Possibly being picky ... but if you want EPS, wait till they've cleaned up the cabling and battery.
Considering the price I think it looks under done.

Hey but then again you can just upgrade latter :mrgreen:
I actually agree with this - really should be internal seatpost or seat tube or something better than the current!

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 am

All the reviews praise EPS highly - if I could afford it I'd get it

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm in the same position myself. I was advised against campy eps as their has been issues.

I run record now an am very impressed with it. Hopefully super record will be even better :)

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:31 pm

I have Super Record and am obviously very happy with it. I'm enamored with the highest end mechanical gruppo. Without any justification whatsoever, I felt that going digital I'd be disconnected from the experience. But that's just me and not necessarily anyone else's experience or opinion.

Not sure if I'd go EPS, but if I did I would for 2 reasons;
1. ease of maintenance and;
2. ease of front derailleur trimming. (With the 11 speed the FD can be a little twitchy to trim just right.)

But I feel it would be a very, very minor upgrade at a significant cost.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm in the same position myself. I was advised against campy eps as their has been issues.

I run record now an am very impressed with it. Hopefully super record will be even better :)
*there

petal665

Postby petal665 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:09 pm

The difference between Super Record and Record and some tiny pieces of titanium (other than the SR Ti crank axle if you got those cranks). Performance is exactly the same. The difference between SR and R EPS is much wider. As long as EPS works as it should, SR has no value.

a

Postby a » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:18 pm

petal665 wrote:SR has no value.
Pose value.

As I am approaching touching distance of mid life crisis bike, I am starting to ponder the same. Mechanical or EPS ?

I'm obviously closer to touching the dream if mechanical. What are the issues with EPS? I

don't know anyone riding it. But the half dozen people I know riding di2 luuurrrvvv it.

Does EPS have issues di2 does not?

petal665

Postby petal665 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm

EPS seems to have some issues with the FD not working 100%. I've only heard first hand from 1 person though.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Nothing wring with the way top end Campagnolo shifts . its addictive!
I'd buy the standard cable Record myself and then add some weight weenie madness to it. Maybe some drillium work, and then make the whole setup thoroughly individual and wow factor-ish. Mind you, as one who spent 6 months and alot of wasted money to build a 165gm 9 speed Ultegra RD though I'm just a tad more "special" :? than some