Difference between shifters?

morini

Difference between shifters?

Postby morini » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the various Campag shifters. I'm aware of the 8 to 9/10/11 issues and solutions but I gather there are other types of shifters apart from Ergopower. My reason for asking is if there are certain levels/years to avoid and certain levels/years to use.

Thanks

newy101

Re: Difference between shifters?

Postby newy101 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:40 pm

AVOID Centaur 10speed w/ "Escape" mech, haven't used myself so can't comment first hand why, but they are apparently underwhelming from research >2 years ago. A quick google will reveal the year (2007 rings a bell?) but alas I have to cook dinner.

And the difference? Well 10 speed is my only experience, and my personal opinion? Weight and bling factor, and "shift feel". The shift springs were "lightened" feel-wise at some point, which is why Campag released the ultimate Record Red/Pro level 10 speed with stiffer feeling springs at the request of Pro riders. The springs were meant to be from earlier (lower level?) shifters. FYI I now use Veloce 10sp v2 and record 10sp v2, love the feeling in both (previously used 2004 era Centaur and I prefer the Veloce stiffer feel, but the springs in the Centaur were prob coming up to needing a change). My 2c