New campagnolo shifter shape

def

New campagnolo shifter shape

Postby def » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 pm

I've just got a new bike with campagnolo 11sp and it's newest style shifters. I have an older bike with the previous shape.

I'm finding that the new shifters are more limiting in terms of the number of positions I can put my hands and be comfortable.

In particular, the top pokes up higher and more sharply than before meaning palms on the top facing down doesn't work as it did.
Secondly, the extra curviness on the front precludes having two fingers wrapped around the front when riding on the hoods - now I can only comfortably fit one.

Not a deal breaker and maybe I'll get used to it but I was kind of expecting them to feel better....maybe they just need some adjustment in angle or something.

I'm interested to hear what others think.

singlespeedscott

Re: New campagnolo shifter shape

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:02 am

What year where your previous levers?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:12 am

Like SSS, I'd like to know what your previous levers were.
Personal experience - I went from Campy 10 speed to 11 speed and loved the improvement in ergonomics. But it was helped by adjusting slightly where they sat on the handlebars. A slight change made a lot of difference in comfort!
Andrew

def

Postby def » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:15 am

singlespeedscott wrote:What year where your previous levers?
Previous version bought in 2005 - it's the shape that immediately preceded the current shape. I had both 9sp and 10 sp versions of the levers: chorus 10sp and veloce 9sp. I think this shape was in use from 1998 to 2008.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:34 am

The 11speed shifters also come with an insert for larger hands that fits between the shifter body and the bars, effectively pushing the hood up at a steeper angle and pushing the lever away from the bar drops.

I've got large hands (6'5" wear XXL gloves etc) and put the insert in when I first installed the shifters... hated it. Too steep an angle and finger reach was awkward. Took them out, and now the shifters are much more comfortable. Really fit well into my inner palm and my fingers just seem to fall just in the right place.

So maybe when your bike was built they were installed. You'll have to undo the bar tape to confirm that the inserts are there... so maybe that's your issue.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 pm

I use the current shape and love how comfy they are. I have no problems with my grip and have 2 fingers resting on the levers when my size L hands are on the hoods. The previous shape was nice but nothing compared to the current one. I built the bike up myself and didn't use the inserts.

def

Postby def » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:42 pm

OK, looks like I need to check the inserts and perhaps have a general fiddle with the setup.

Thanks all for comments - something for me to work with...