Fuji Bikes and a Warranty Saga

WheelieGood

Fuji Bikes and a Warranty Saga

Postby WheelieGood » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I just want to let the cycling community know about my issue with Fuji Bikes and maybe get some advice.

The frame broke on my 2010 Fuji road bike last month. The chain stay broke in two near the bottom bracket. This is the second time this has happened. The first time Fuji replaced the frame without too much fuss. (I did have a bit of fuss with the LBS, but that's a different story).

Anyway, this time Fuji (or their Australian distributor, Oceania Bicycles) offered to replace the frame with a 2009 version stating that was all they had available. After a bit of back and forth, they offered to pay the labour cost of the rebuild if I accepted the frame. Reluctantly I agreed because I thought at least I would get back riding rather that be without a bike for months. However I was then told by the LBS that the 2009 frame is not compatible with many of my parts and I would need to purchase a new bottom bracket, crankset and seatpost which would cost about $400. I immediately rejected the offer of the 2009 frame as I didn't want to invest that sort of money into an older model bike.

As it stands now. There is a bit of a stalemate. Fuji (Oceania Bicycles) don't seem to be making a better offer and if they are, the information is not getting through to me. A big problem is Oceania Bicycles have a "policy" not to talk to the general public so its really difficult to get any information or have a conversation about the issue.

I just get the feeling that Fuji (Oceania Bicycles) are trying get out of this cheaply by trying to dump old stock on me. Emails from the first time the frame broke suggested that the replacement frame was shipped out from the USA. Which is why I wonder why can't this be done this time?

To help resolve the issue I've also offered to go halves in the cost of the new components. I have not had any reply.

So am I being stubborn? Should I be happy to get the 2009 frame? Or are Fuji (Oceania Bicycles) not fulfilling their (lifetime) warranty?

Marty Moose

Re: Fuji Bikes and a Warranty Saga

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Not being stubborn at all. If they have no 2010's they should be offering a 2011 or newer. This has already inconvenienced YOU. They should be onto this asap.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Not being stubborn at all. If they have no 2010's they should be offering a 2011 or newer. This has already inconvenienced YOU. They should be onto this asap.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Just because a replacement is a newer year model doesnt mean its equivalent or better to the existing frame.

OP - can we have some more details? i.e. what is your current frame and what have they offered you, and as a result whats incompatible?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

WheelieGood

Postby WheelieGood » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm

My bicycle is a Fuji ACR 1.0 (2010 model).
I have been offered a frame replacement of a Fuji Roubaix 2009.
I believe the frames are similar, however the the main differences are that the 2009 frame is a different type of bottom bracket and hence is not compatible with my bottom bracket and cranks. Also seat post size is different and different graphics (older Fuji logo). If you also look at the Fuji website bike archives they also use the word "new" a few times when referring to the 2010 frame. I'm not sure if this is just marketing talk or it really is newer (better).
I would imagine the standard warranty would be to replace like for like. I understand that this is sometimes not available, but if that's the case it shouldn't be the customer who has to be out of pocket.
I really hope Fuji can step and an resolve this because I'm pretty disappointed with the whole experience. Especially being the second time teh frame has broken.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Same thread on SC.
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... claim-saga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm

In terms of materials they are the same frame. BB is definately different (BB30 vs mega Exo). Which kinda sucks, if it was the other way round you can get adaptors to fit non bb30 cranks to a bb30 frame. The 'new' relates to headtube geo, BB shell and OS seat tube by the looks of things as well as the shift from the powerdiamond downtube to a round one. The ACR replaced the roubaix as a model designation in 2010 and the Roubaix replaced the Newest and the Newest replaced the CCR (so while there is such thing as a 2009 roubaix and a 2010 roubaix, the 2009 roubaix is better, hence my comment above).

Not that it makes a difference, but a FSA crankset/BB + a seatpost shouldnt cost you anywhere near $400. A couple of minutes on the web and I could replace both for under $200 or a shade under $300 with an upgrade to SRAM crankset.

And just to clarify given some of the misleading info posted in your SC thread, if you are claiming under manufacturer warranty (which based on the info you have given you are) then you are in fact dealing with Oceania, although most LBS will do so on your behalf. If you were claiming under statutory warranty (which gives no such gaurantee as a lifetime warranty) then you would be dealing with LBS. There is no such thing as a 1 year statutory warranty either. The you bought a bike not a box of components yaddah yaddah rubbish is great if you were claiming under statutory warranty, but you arent. oceania offer a lifetime frame warranty, not a lifetime bike warranty. Which brings me to my final point, asking for advice on the internets is great, but dont believe everything you are told. Hope you manage to get an outcome you are happy with. I'd say splitting the cost is reasonable given you will be replacing old parts with new.

Oh... and what the hell do you do with the thing?? Is that just road grime around the spot it's broken (looks more like worn rubber or something)?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

WheelieGood

Postby WheelieGood » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for your post im_no_pro. Completely agree with everything you said. The $400 is what the LBS was quoting (obviously including a mark up). My issue is really with Oceania Bicycles as they (in my opinion) don't seem to be offering a reasonable solution. You would think it shouldn't be this hard. If the product has failed, suck it up and replace it! What's the point in pissing off customers? I'm sure I'll be spending much more of my income on bicycles in my lifetime.

WheelieGood

Postby WheelieGood » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:25 am

and yes, its road grime. I used the bike mainly for commuting. I didn't clean under there too often!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 am

WheelieGood wrote:and yes, its road grime. I used the bike mainly for commuting. I didn't clean under there too often!
I figured it would be, just didnt look quite right for some reason...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Problem is 2010 is the only year that Fuji did a BB30 model.

So if they have no 2010 frames available in the right size, they can not replace it with a frame you can use your current crankset on.

If they gave you a 2011 or 2012 frame you would still have the same problem.

You need to read you "lifetime frame guarantee" documentation and see exactly what that contract says and what Oceania are required to do.

The online one says:
OCEANIA BICYCLES Pty Ltd, will repair or replace any component that it determines to be defective in material or workmanship under normal use and service during the applicable warranty period. Shipping or other transportations costs and dealer labour charges (if applicable) are not covered by this warranty and will normally have to be paid by you.
I read it as all Ocenia Bicycles have to is "replace the component" ie provide you with a replacement frame, it does not have to be the same frame (size, colour, year or model)

You could argue that the goods are not fit for the purpose, because you broke 2 in the same place, design fault and try for a refund.

Oceania could counter with rider abuse, sold X of that model, nobody else broke it in the same location, so goodbye to replacement frame.

WheelieGood

Postby WheelieGood » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Just to let you know what the outcome was:
After a fair bit of hassling with phone calls, emails and posting on their Facebook page. Oceania Bicycles finally got back to me and offered me the 2009 frame along with bottom bracket, crankset and seatpost to fit the new frame and I would have to bear the cost of the rebuild. I accepted this offer just to get move on and put it in the past.
Personally, I'm not very happy with the whole situation. Firstly the frame broke (twice) which means it's pretty crap. Secondly, the company made it very difficult to get a resonable outcome. Thirdly they gave me an older model to what I origonally purchased!
Anyway, make up your own mind about buying a Fuji and if you would be happy with this outcome. I certainly wont be buying another one (and neither will any of my friends or probably their friends too).