Unidentified Aussie frame.

jbchybridrider

Unidentified Aussie frame.

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Well I bought this frame on ebay about 2 years ago from NSW. In the sellers description he said it was Australian made and custom built and that's it.
Now I know the frames identity is not the most important thing in the world and I should just get on enjoying riding it, but what if someone does know. Maybe someone out there owned it before or had a friend own it or recognizes it from a group ride. Maybe someone recognizes the build details.
I do believe it's Australian and was built to a high standard with beautiful brazing. I have identified Columbus SL tubing and a Cinelli BB with Campy dropouts, it possibly has Columbus lugs. I know the original color was a darkish Red from paint left inside the BB and around the steerer tube. Also the cable guides on top of the BB suggest it's late 70's or very early 80's.
I'm showing pictures as I bought it, as you can see it's been repainted at least once before and I've already done a repaint and restore myself that's how I know it was brazed well. It would be nice to put a brand name or the builders name on it and not permanently lose it's history of origin so if anyone can provide info of what it is or give a traceable lead I would be happy to hear it. Thanks.
Last edited by jbchybridrider on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

killerloop

Re: Unidentified Aussie frame.

Postby killerloop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 pm

NoluckNoluck Frame looks solid

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:57 pm

killerloop wrote:NoluckNoluck Frame looks solid

From the seller I bought it from and where he is, the builders in the area and the frame tubing used and lastly the quality of the build it could only have been built by Frank Paino. No one else within hundereds of km's could have done it.Also likely sold as a custom frame frameset only to be built up by the new owner.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:51 am

Nice frame, as you say it looks well built. As for being a paino, maybe. I am no expert, but it appears to lack the details I associate with paino - the pantographs paino on the seat stays & P in a heart on the fork crown, little hearts cut into the lugs. - see for example this thread
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks, yes I've seen that. I've looked at many sources though for info but just regarding that thread the frame I have seems older (mid 70's) than the bikes in there, the closest would be the first bike on the page. It's very similar in that the lugs and seat stay tips are the same only having cut outs or windows made in them.
In my research Frank actually didn't make many panto frames, most of his work was custom frame sets only and likely sold without decals and to a price depending on the customer (I really mean a lot of them). Mine doesn't even have shifter bosses also the drilled drive side dropout for the old style Campy chain hanger gives away the age.

I haven't just researched the Paino brand. I looked into all the builders in NSW. None are close to where Frank was and all used different tubing anyway. I've been following leads for a long time now and Paino is the closest I can get to a builder. But I could still be wrong. I might actually put Paino decals on it soon though. :wink:

roadrash2

Postby roadrash2 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:57 pm

I also have an unidentifiable frame all it had is jock bullen stickers plasters on it

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:12 am

The original posters photo has gone.