HeroBike Bamboo build

Miyata_912

HeroBike Bamboo build

Postby Miyata_912 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 am

In feb last year I went to the small town of Greensboro Alabama to build a bamboo bike frame at a three day workshop. Was a very interesting experience and I have been collecting parts over the past year to build the bike up and get it rolling around the streets of Melbourne.

N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
Prototype handmade Bamboo 3 speed
1996 Kona Kilauea

Heff

Re: HeroBike Bamboo build

Postby Heff » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey is this something you could replicate now you have done it? I would be interested in doing one of these also.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa
Waiting For_The Perfect_Koga Miyata

killerloop

Postby killerloop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:59 pm

What was the cost

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:58 pm

Wow - really interested, tell us more!!

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:56 pm

I purchased the Hero Bike kit and have now built 3 frames.

First was pretty much as per the instructions. My everyday commuting bike.
Second had modified rear dropouts. Given to a friend as a Christmas gift.
Third (not riding yet, just kitting out) is a hybrid with a carbon rear end off an old bike that was not being used by a racer friend.

Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/MgdFDTyUVNLkpXoz5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:03 am

wow, older thread but glad you responded.

i like the look of it.
What is the ride like? do you feel any "give" in the joins or flex vertically?
do you think you could build it without doing a workshop? or were you in the US already so took a detour?

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:54 pm

It rides like a bike - I really don't notice it being flexy or strange. Yes, it is a smooth ride over bumps, but it doesn't feel like I'm riding in porridge.

Third frame will be ready to ride tomorrow. Just have to pick it up from the bike shop where it has been getting the larger items like bottom brackets installed (i.e. stuff I don't have the tools for).

I built my first in the workshops at my then employer - kinda handy when they have a marine boatyard with all the tools you need at hand. Number 2 and 3 were made in an out of the way nook in the basement carpark of my apartment building.

You could do it in any garden shed or garage, subject to dust management.

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 pm

thanks, madmarsupial.
bookmarked their site and added to my (long) list of DIY projects. and the long list of tools required...

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

rockpaper wrote:thanks, madmarsupial.
bookmarked their site and added to my (long) list of DIY projects. and the long list of tools required...
You don't need too many tools. I could write a list of bare minimum requirements.

Latest bike is now completed after a few days at the bike shop for some technical stuff (like chasing the BB threads and a new crown race) and for some annoying stuff (waiting for the Italian BB - was part of the original donor bike...I wouldn't have chosen this!).

8.5kg as pictured.
https://goo.gl/photos/EcSq162pEcLuYYBbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It rode home from the bike shop OK. Will give it a proper test on the weekend. Front derailleur isn't 100% (common issue with my Mk1 bike) due to the large diameter of the tubing.

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:18 pm

ok, maybe few tools but i need to brush up on my DIY skills...

i like the mix of natural material and manufactured components.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:52 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
rockpaper wrote:thanks, madmarsupial.
You don't need too many tools. I could write a list of bare minimum requirements.

Latest bike is now completed after a few days at the bike shop for some technical stuff (like chasing the BB threads and a new crown race) and for some annoying stuff (waiting for the Italian BB - was part of the original donor bike...I wouldn't have chosen this!).

8.5kg as pictured.
https://goo.gl/photos/EcSq162pEcLuYYBbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It rode home from the bike shop OK. Will give it a proper test on the weekend. Front derailleur isn't 100% (common issue with my Mk1 bike) due to the large diameter of the tubing.
Great looking bike!

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Sprocket wrote:Great looking bike!
I've got a couple of hundred Ks on it now and it rides great.

Front derailleur isn't quite right - the tubing is larger diameter than most frames and despite cutting a deep recess for the mount i'm rubbing the chain on the cage in 34/28-26. For want of about 1/2mm!!!

I'm going to start to gather parts to do a Mk4 frame and see if I can solve that FD issue.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:21 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
Sprocket wrote:Great looking bike!
I've got a couple of hundred Ks on it now and it rides great.

Front derailleur isn't quite right - the tubing is larger diameter than most frames and despite cutting a deep recess for the mount i'm rubbing the chain on the cage in 34/28-26. For want of about 1/2mm!!!

I'm going to start to gather parts to do a Mk4 frame and see if I can solve that FD issue.
Any chance of doing some tweaking to shift the crankset across?

e.g. Adding a spacer on RHS and facing the LHS and maybe a pedal washer for the left pedal?

1mm should be easily doable.

Cheers,

Cameron

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:52 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Any chance of doing some tweaking to shift the crankset across?

e.g. Adding a spacer on RHS and facing the LHS and maybe a pedal washer for the left pedal?

1mm should be easily doable.
This does work and it is how I improved the shifting on my Mk1 bike.

However, it is difficult in this case as the recycled bottom bracket is Italian and that 70mm eats up a bit too much of the crank spindle (i.e. not a lot left on the NDS to bolt the other crank arm on to!!!) compared to an English 68mm bottom bracket.

We also had the problem that the bike shop didn't have any suitable thin spacers!

I'm sure I could try a 0.5mm safely, but I don't have one to play with.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:03 am

I'm almost done with Mk4.

Photos in a gallery here - https://goo.gl/photos/YYe7WNWDgRCWJQZUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:52 am

Mk4 is now complete and has been on the road for a short while.

https://goo.gl/photos/Db7ztA9At8zTdXdC7

Only one small problem...when we were assembling it we realised that the brake mount in the seat stays was for a long reach brake. I had to do my first few rides without a rear brake. Luckily I found some brake pad shoes that were offset to help solve this.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:52 am

madmarsupial wrote:I'm almost done with Mk4.

Photos in a gallery here - https://goo.gl/photos/YYe7WNWDgRCWJQZUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've added a few images to the gallery too!

Bookervab

HeroBike Bamboo build

Postby Bookervab » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 am

Congratulations on your build getting underway Mike. I too like your choice of woods and will be keeping an eye on this one.