Bianchi frame self destruction

SC27

Bianchi frame self destruction

Postby SC27 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi I bought my Bianchi Via Nerone 7 brand new from a top dealer in November 2007. i specifically wanted a Bianchi because i have been a fan for years. Now, 5 years on, my frame has cracked in numerous places and corroded so badly i was advised it was no longer safe to ride. The corrosion was so severe i was unable to salvage the crank. I have since re-framed what I could salvage with a different brand.
The bike was kept inside all this time, and only covered approximately 7000km. I do not believe this is standard Bianchi quality, but would be interested to know if mine was a one off or in fact part of a bad batch and whether anyone else has had an experience like this. I have to say also, that the reaction from the suppliers was rather underwhelming.

Howzat

Re: Bianchi frame self destruction

Postby Howzat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Yikes. I thought a chief advantage of alloy frames was that they didn't rust...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 am

Are you anywhere near the beach and get a lot of sea salt? I am trying to think of the conditions that would affect it in this way, even humid conditions.

If the problems are throughout the frame this could be an environment impact rather that a manufacturing problem where one part of the frame would likely show defects or fail and not the entire frame.

Would be good to see some photos, there are a fee people here who could then provide better direction.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 am

Whoops, read that it is forged alloy which should mean aluminium alloy (DA32) and as suggested, shouldn't rust / corrode like steel.

I guess I would have to look as aluminium tubing is usually extruded and can then be formed rather than straight forging. In any case, when I am on my computer next will have a look into this DA32 alloy.
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Surprised to be simultaneously cracked a numerous places simultaneously. There's bound to be more to the story. Major production fault? Severe environmental factor?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

SC27

Postby SC27 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I live up in St Ives, and the bike is stored in my basement along with my Norco mountain bike. Absolutely no signs of corrosion on the Norco, (and it regularly goes through mud and streams...)which the Bianchi obviously never has.

I do have numerous pictures of the frame, but am not sure how to post them...

The problem with the frame is that it is so bad, it cannot be normal.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Did you use it on a Trainer a lot ?

SC27

Postby SC27 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 pm

I have ridden approximately 400km on an indoor trainer...

michaelkn

Postby michaelkn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

SC27 wrote:Hi I bought my Bianchi Via Nerone 7 brand new from a top dealer in November 2007. i specifically wanted a Bianchi because i have been a fan for years. Now, 5 years on, my frame has cracked in numerous places and corroded so badly i was advised it was no longer safe to ride. The corrosion was so severe i was unable to salvage the crank. I have since re-framed what I could salvage with a different brand.
The bike was kept inside all this time, and only covered approximately 7000km. I do not believe this is standard Bianchi quality, but would be interested to know if mine was a one off or in fact part of a bad batch and whether anyone else has had an experience like this. I have to say also, that the reaction from the suppliers was rather underwhelming.
Pictures or it didn't happen.

No seriously I just want to see how severe these are.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 pm

The only thing I know of that can wreck an alloy frame like that is a normal degreaser (ie, not a citrus degreaser). Apparently (and I know very little about metals here...) alloy corrodes slightly leaving a top layer which protects the rest from corroding and the degreaser strips this off. This could be complete bollocks but the guy I heard it from did know a lot about metals from his trade.