CX disc wheelset options?

Original offroad cycling

CX disc wheelset options?

Postby chriscole » Wed May 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi folks,

Chasing advice on / availability of cyclocross disc-specific clincher type wheelsets... I'd like to be able to swap out wheels when going from commuting on slicks to racing on off-road tyres.... without changing the tyres each time.

Could possibly be convinced to go tubeless/tubular (possibly the worst antonymous misnomer in the history of the world) but have only ever used "normal" clincher tyre + tube arrangements so would be more comfortable with going with what I know.

Cheers,
Chris
chriscole
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

by BNA » Wed May 29, 2013 7:57 pm

BNA
 

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Could be hard to find factory CX Disc wheels, you might have to get them built?
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm
Location: West Gippsland

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed May 29, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm running carbon 29er disc wheels from Farsports on my commuter. So far they've been very good and because they're wider they can take larger tyres like are used in CX. I don't think they'd be too weak, I use mine with loaded rear panniers and I definitely don't go easy on them...
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby chriscole » Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 pm

I guess I'm a bit worried about a 29er MTB rim being too wide for a 32mm CX tyre.... otherwise I'd just pick up a 29er wheelset.... ?
chriscole
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby chriscole » Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Seems a bit weird you can buy a whole built CX bike with CX disc wheels already on it quite easily from a number of manufacturers, but tricky to find the wheels alone?!
chriscole
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 pm

I run my farsports 29er wheels with 28mm slicks, works fine for me...
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby DavidL » Wed May 29, 2013 9:48 pm

There are several companies out there now that do disc road and CX wheelsets.

A search would have found this: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=63158

But Mavic, Easton, Stans, Rolf and others all make options at various price points from alloy clinches to carbon tubulars.

- David.
User avatar
DavidL
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 am
Location: Ballarat, Vic

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby Pravda » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 am

Road wheels are fine. Just find a set you like with discs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX
Raceline Keith Oliver Signature Edition
User avatar
Pravda
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Perth NOR

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby Ozkaban » Thu May 30, 2013 9:07 am

My Giant POS(tm) 29er wheels are actually quite narrow. I think they're 21mm or similar. No problems with a 38mm tyre.

EDIT: Internal rim width is 19mm.
Last edited by Ozkaban on Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 30, 2013 9:21 am

Many 29er bikes come with 19C rimmed (23mm with 19mm ID) XC wheels and they are just fine for CX - certainly better than 15C road wheels! We've fitted my CB Cobalts from the Anthem 29er to a mates Merida CX bike with 700x35 tyres no problems. So there's actually thousands of wheels available for disc CX out there for the taking for not very much.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
User avatar
silentbutdeadly
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby ozdavo » Thu May 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Main question is YOUR CX frame spaced at 130 or 135mm?
If 130 your options will be limited, if 135 (as stated) there are plenty of 29er options.


Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
User avatar
ozdavo
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Gold Coast (nth)

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby rjk » Thu May 30, 2013 3:40 pm

these are the ones i have on my boardman cx pro, i have lent them to mates as well.

http://www.light-bicycle.com

We all love them, as stated they are clincher that is tubeless compatible, i got the novatec d811/812 hubs and these things spin for ever.

32 hole for the extra work that disc and cx workouts the bike gives them, i weighed them without skewers when i got them 1460gms all up, seriously light


Image
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby chriscole » Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies, folks.

My bike has 135mm dropout spacing, so it sounds like a narrow (19mm) MTB option might be the way to go. I was just initially unsure of the compatibility of that sort of rim width with tyres as narrow as 32-35mm.

Cheers!
Chris
chriscole
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby queequeg » Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 pm

chriscole wrote:Thanks for the helpful replies, folks.

My bike has 135mm dropout spacing, so it sounds like a narrow (19mm) MTB option might be the way to go. I was just initially unsure of the compatibility of that sort of rim width with tyres as narrow as 32-35mm.

Cheers!
Chris


I just built my own. Mavic Open Pro rims on Disc Hubs. That takes up to a 28mm tyre.
My other set is Mavic A719 on Disc Hubs, which lets me go to 37mm tyres if I need to.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby chriscole » Fri May 31, 2013 9:48 pm

rjk wrote:these are the ones i have on my boardman cx pro, i have lent them to mates as well.

http://www.light-bicycle.com

We all love them, as stated they are clincher that is tubeless compatible, i got the novatec d811/812 hubs and these things spin for ever.

32 hole for the extra work that disc and cx workouts the bike gives them, i weighed them without skewers when i got them 1460gms all up, seriously light


Image



Had a look at the options on their website and thought I'd see what they're like... have ordered a set with the smaller (21mm) rim width, 32 spokes, 3K weave with gloss finish, and white Novatec 711/712 hub. Just hoping the courier/postie don't break them. :-)
chriscole
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby jazgtir » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm looking at building a set using 'h plus son' archetype's, any recommendations on a 135mm hub for disc's I could look into?
I'd like to keep as light as possible, and able to use 10spd cartridge (I've noticed alot are saying 9spd?).
jazgtir
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 am

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 am

jazgtir wrote:I'm looking at building a set using 'h plus son' archetype's, any recommendations on a 135mm hub for disc's I could look into?
I'd like to keep as light as possible, and able to use 10spd cartridge (I've noticed alot are saying 9spd?).

Perhaps I am missing the point of your question, but a 10 speed cassette is designed to fit a 8, 9 & 10 speed hub - it takes a 1 mm spacer that should come with the cassette
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4091
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby rjk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

chriscole wrote:
rjk wrote:these are the ones i have on my boardman cx pro, i have lent them to mates as well.

http://www.light-bicycle.com

We all love them, as stated they are clincher that is tubeless compatible, i got the novatec d811/812 hubs and these things spin for ever.

32 hole for the extra work that disc and cx workouts the bike gives them, i weighed them without skewers when i got them 1460gms all up, seriously light


Image



Had a look at the options on their website and thought I'd see what they're like... have ordered a set with the smaller (21mm) rim width, 32 spokes, 3K weave with gloss finish, and white Novatec 711/712 hub. Just hoping the courier/postie don't break them. :-)

good one, let me know how they go , i might order a pair as my commuter wheels :)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby jazgtir » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:Perhaps I am missing the point of your question, but a 10 speed cassette is designed to fit a 8, 9 & 10 speed hub - it takes a 1 mm spacer that should come with the cassette


Thanks for clarifying this, since most of the mtb hubs I've been looking at mentioned compatible for 9 speed hubs. I come from the world of SS so gears are all new to me :? I'm waiting for the cassette I purchased to arrive so will see if it comes with spacers.
jazgtir
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 am

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 am

ozdavo wrote:Main question is YOUR CX frame spaced at 130 or 135mm?
If 130 your options will be limited, if 135 (as stated) there are plenty of 29er options.


I have a factory 130mm rear hub width option, currently in stock - Pro-Lite Lucca

Image

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=95
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby antipodean » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:43 pm

2300 grams for the Pro-lites :shock:

I bought a set of these today for my Boardman CX Pro.
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... c_Wheelset
$339 delivered.
Review here
http://road.cc/content/review/69946-kin ... isc-wheels
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 am

antipodean wrote:2300 grams for the Pro-lites :shock:


Exactly my thoughts when I read the spec a couple of weeks back...even Stars on Quando's would be lighter than that :D
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
User avatar
silentbutdeadly
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
antipodean wrote:2300 grams for the Pro-lites :shock:


Exactly my thoughts when I read the spec a couple of weeks back...even Stars on Quando's would be lighter than that :D
Must be a strong wheel then.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6723
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby optiumcarbon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:12 pm

i know a guy that runs a set of 29er crank brothers cobolt wheels on his cx bike.

looks sick and they are pritty light too, maybe look into that
optiumcarbon
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: CX disc wheelset options?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 am

I run a pair of cobalts on the 29er and they'd be fine for cross but I would go the mid spec 3 or high spec 11 over the basic 2 version because the basic version is a two bearing rear hub (and so not good value) while the others are full 4 bearing rear hubs. Also be prepared to tear them down and clean them up each time you hit the fine sloppy mud
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
User avatar
silentbutdeadly
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Next

Return to Cyclocross

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers