CX Bike Gallery

jubaeg

Re: CX Bike Gallery

Postby jubaeg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 am

I've had this rig for about 6 months, and have only just started riding it. A couple of weeks ago I rode from North West Sydney to Shellharbour [M7 to Campbelltown to Wedderburn to Bulli to Shellharbour]. A slight Google maps misunderstanding regarding whether you could go all the way along Wedderburn rd / Minerva rd to Appin meant that I had to back track through firetrails and I after a 2hr slog where I was pushing for about 30 mins I got back to Appin rd [along firetrail 10W and 10B], as I'm running tubeless 40mm tyres it was a fantastic ride and I can't wait to do more gravel and firetrail. I haven't quite mastered how to post a photo, so here is a link - Focus AX running 105s
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzlOtsLf4KNeXAxb2

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 am

Here you are mate:

Nice rig by the way!

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

ningnangnong wrote:Here you are mate:
Nice rig by the way!
Sweet, thanks for doing that. Quite a lengthy URL in there!
The bike is probably about 11KG (Alloy) and its just standard road bars, however it performed really well on the firetrail bits where I wasn't that much slower than I would have been on a MTB (the limiting factor being the operator), and then to glide onroad over any obstacle and bitumen seam and bump and all the other detritus that collects on the side of the road was such a pleasure.
I'd been patiently lurking on Gumtree/Facebook and eBay for about 18-24 months [dreaming about all those amazing carbon rigs] before I found this one second hand. The brakes are TRP cable then hydro at the caliper and I'd wanted full hydro, however they work as disc brakes should (160 front and rear I think). Am running 11-36 rear casette, and am about to put 50-34 on the front.

Have also done some firetrail around Castle Hill, and am planning on doing Wisemans to Bell and possibly Wisemans up the GNR (although I'll probably do MTB for that one given how gnarly the GNR is for the first 10k till Western Commission turn off.

Very happy to have a versatile rig to do road, gravel and firetrail.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

jubaeg wrote:I've had this rig for about 6 months, and have only just started riding it. A couple of weeks ago I rode from North West Sydney to Shellharbour [M7 to Campbelltown to Wedderburn to Bulli to Shellharbour]. A slight Google maps misunderstanding regarding whether you could go all the way along Wedderburn rd / Minerva rd to Appin meant that I had to back track through firetrails and I after a 2hr slog where I was pushing for about 30 mins I got back to Appin rd [along firetrail 10W and 10B], as I'm running tubeless 40mm tyres it was a fantastic ride and I can't wait to do more gravel and firetrail. I haven't quite mastered how to post a photo, so here is a link - Focus AX running 105s
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzlOtsLf4KNeXAxb2
do you have the full-route uploaded somewhere?
very interested to learn more :D

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

caneye wrote: do you have the full-route uploaded somewhere?
very interested to learn more :D
Here it is. Wedderburn has a reasonable gorge to go through which is like a mini Berowra but a better road surface, and the firetrail 10W and 10B are in very good condition - just that I'd not planned to expend that kind of energy when I also had almost no mobile signal and dwindling water supplies. Bulli pass must have recently been resurfaced as it was in excellent condition. Also - I got quite lost touring the hills of Campbelltown so the route I took was probably collecting as many hills as possible, and there would be better routes through there.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1384057215
Enjoy - I will do it again but just go straight through Appin rd from Campbelltown, or even Picton when they complete the road works.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:33 pm

I decided I 'needed' a bike for the summer CX racing season but took too long. I nearly clicked on a brand new dirt cheap 105 Focus Mares whilst accumulating parts, but now glad i waited. If it breaks first race i'll look like a twat but then i'll have to build something else. It's not the dollars so much as the thrill of the chase.
Here's my new (to me) build up from the parts bin.
Many thanks to queequeg and Celeste boy for their incredibly generous donations of surplus parts.
Frame came from kerbside, a FLUID 29er, most likely a flatbar... dunno as i only got the bare alloy hydroformed frame. I checked it over closely, stripped the logos and resprayed all except the chain stays which quite aptly are stickered 'go with the flow...' I will probably sticker bomb it or make some nice loud vinyl wrap.
Carbon/alloy fork from queequeg.
Avid BB7s also from queequeg with generic 160mm rotors (painted centres black).
Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed ergo shifters and rear mech. I was going to fit Campy 11 speed but in the end couuldn't justify the $$$. 13-29 freewheel with NW 44 tooth from parts bin. Seems a good range at present. Not that many years/kilos ago, I used to be able to climb on my old 'red pig' shimergo cx with 1 x 8 (49/30) so it should do the do around here ( Adelaide's east).
Celeste boy donated me a Campagnolo front mech to play with ( i was going to pull it apart and reverse the linkage to make a top pull) but it was too big so bike is 1 x at present.
FSA carbon cranks. Paul chain catcher thingamee.
Jet black BB also from the roadside reconditioned with new bearings.
Thomson seatpost (27.2) and 30 year old Selle italia Flite.
Thomson 110mm stem. Weird old school super long reach/drop alloy bars. These are great for bunny hops as the reach is long enough to resemble a set of bar ends!
Waiting on a set of short reach/drop bars to complete. I will also change stem to 90/100mm I reckon as TT is quite long.
China carbon 50 mm clincher wheel set I rebuilt with brass nipples. WTB cross wolf 33mm cx treads. Will try and ghetto tubeless soon. Not sure as i haven't tried to ghetto carbon wheels before.
So far so good and 9.93 kg!
Just had a cortisone shot in my knee so initial long ride will not be until next weekend. Will chuck it in the car and do Jupiter creek/Kuitpo trails from Mylor. Any one want to come?
Last edited by boyracer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Very tasty.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 pm

It's come up very nicely. The Winwood fork is a perfect match!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Yes, very very nice. Particularly impressive that its so light. Good job.

lunar_c

Flat bar conversion CX bike

Postby lunar_c » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Definitely not a pure CX bike but a fun project none the less.

I wanted a cyclocross bike but there’s not much around secondhand (especially in XL sizes) as it’s just beginning to become popular in Western Australia.

I had this cross city for riding to the beach and short trips, I found it secondhand a while back for $500 with a decent alloy frame, sturdy mavic aksiums and Shimano 105 10 speed group.

It had mini v brakes which were stuffed and needed replacing anyway, and when I became interested in a cyclocross bike I figured why not .. it has slack road geometry and compact cranks, it might just work.

On went some Tektro cantilever brakes, Hutchinson toro 32mm cyclocross tyres, and some FSA omega bars a friend gave me (I’m not a fan of an atomic bars but they’ll do for now) and some 105 5700 shifters I repaired.

The TT saddle is just a place holder until I get another Selle SMP and I’m still working on hood position and bar angle but so far it seems pretty capable. Flat pedals just for testing in the stand I have some old Shimano m520’s on it.

Total cost about $650!

Photos below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CvY4iCE2X6NjA9Yk6

caneye

Re: Flat bar conversion CX bike

Postby caneye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:37 am

lunar_c wrote:Definitely not a pure CX bike but a fun project none the less.

kudos. sure looks good.
how's the fit though?

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Actually pretty good as it wasn’t a hybrid sort of geometry, more an endurance road style.

I might need a -17 degree stem though to set some more drop.

I read a lot of things on forums from naysayers about geometry - I feel this is absolutely true of hybrids but the right flat bar road frame is not too far off.

Changed bar and hood angle also, not a big fan of anatomic bars but they were free.

illdrag0n

Postby illdrag0n » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 am

illdrag0n

Postby illdrag0n » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 am

ningnangnong wrote:Here you are mate:

Nice rig by the way!
Very Nice. Love my AX. I ended up replacing the through axles with ones from Robert Axle Project because mine kept releasing the T lock... Otherwise no issues.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Nice bikes :D I probably would have gone for a Focus Mares or a Canyon inflight al if I had the funds for a specific CX bike.

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Very Nice. Love my AX. I ended up replacing the through axles with ones from Robert Axle Project because mine kept releasing the T lock... Otherwise no issues.
Thanks for the tip. Those axles are a nightmare and I'm always nervous that they'll come loose. I recently had the screws replaced in the rear to keep it kind of solid. Not the best design. I like the colours of your rig.

illdrag0n

Postby illdrag0n » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 pm

jubaeg wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Those axles are a nightmare and I'm always nervous that they'll come loose. I recently had the screws replaced in the rear to keep it kind of solid. Not the best design. I like the colours of your rig.
Thanks mate, she does the trick.

Abbotsford Cycles in Vic is the Aus stockist. Abouts $100 per axle if i remember correctly

http://www.abbotsfordcycles.com.au/sear ... us%20r.a.t

illdrag0n

Postby illdrag0n » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:19 pm

illdrag0n

Postby illdrag0n » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:22 pm

spot the difference lol

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 pm

illdrag0n wrote:spot the difference lol

Stem, wheels, chain :D

illdrag0n

Postby illdrag0n » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm

NASHIE wrote:
illdrag0n wrote:spot the difference lol
Stem, wheels, chain :D
Wow, keen eye. All 3 were replaced lol. Bit more comfortable and now i have road and offroad wheelsets.

And yes, new chain too haha

NASHIE

Re: Flat bar conversion CX bike

Postby NASHIE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:47 pm

lunar_c wrote:Definitely not a pure CX bike but a fun project none the less.

I wanted a cyclocross bike but there’s not much around secondhand (especially in XL sizes) as it’s just beginning to become popular in Western Australia.

I had this cross city for riding to the beach and short trips, I found it secondhand a while back for $500 with a decent alloy frame, sturdy mavic aksiums and Shimano 105 10 speed group.

It had mini v brakes which were stuffed and needed replacing anyway, and when I became interested in a cyclocross bike I figured why not .. it has slack road geometry and compact cranks, it might just work.

On went some Tektro cantilever brakes, Hutchinson toro 32mm cyclocross tyres, and some FSA omega bars a friend gave me (I’m not a fan of an atomic bars but they’ll do for now) and some 105 5700 shifters I repaired.

The TT saddle is just a place holder until I get another Selle SMP and I’m still working on hood position and bar angle but so far it seems pretty capable. Flat pedals just for testing in the stand I have some old Shimano m520’s on it.

Total cost about $650!

Photos below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CvY4iCE2X6NjA9Yk6
Well done looks good. I have always built/bought cheapish 2nd bikes over the years, but got a bit caught up looking into buying a new cross bike for this season. Left it till the 11th hour and shops had nothing left so hit gumtree and picked up for $450 a 2012 giant tcx with canti's last Thursday to do season opener last Sunday. Intentions where for it to just be a backup bike, but turns out geometry is smack on. Turns in and holds sweeping bends much better than my old 2017 TCX, just loved racing it. So looks like buying my first new bike goes on hold again.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Nice, hope it goes well! I’d take a caadx or a tcx any day. Have you posted up the tcx?

Maybe I should get a caadx one day to pair with my CAAD10 :wink:

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 pm

lunar_c wrote:Nice, hope it goes well! I’d take a caadx or a tcx any day. Have you posted up the tcx?

Maybe I should get a caadx one day to pair with my CAAD10 :wink:
Will post up some pics. If you can find a good deal, go a carbon superx. I sold my 2017 TCX end of last year and as luck would have it my son broke his wrist so was able to ride his Merlin carbon cross bike for a few months while i was trying to decide on a new ride. It was a size to small for me (52 i ride a 54) but geez the carbon frame was so much more comfortable over longer 50k plus rides on gravel than the alu TCX.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:50 am

Good to know!

I’m pretty happy with my giant conversion gravel-cross creation until I finish rebuilding my CAAD10.. such a great bike, I’m even thinking about selling my 2014 Propel to rebuild the CAAD with Ultegra and some speccy carbon wheels.