9 or 10 speed for new cyclocross bike?

kelsnotbilt4lycra

9 or 10 speed for new cyclocross bike?

Postby kelsnotbilt4lycra » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Hey guys,
I've just whacked a new cx frame on Layby and was just going to throw all my old 8speed gear over onto it, but I've decided to chuck a newer groupset on. I was going to go 10 speed but I've heard that the 10 speed gear isn't as robust as the 9 speed stuff is for cross, and I'm probably going to be riding through some fairly dusty/sandy kind of terrain pretty regularly. Just wondering if anyone who has a bit of an idea can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Shane

toolonglegs

Re: 9 or 10 speed for new cyclocross bike?

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 am

I don't race in dust and sand very often... well certainly not dust anyway, a few sand pits but not many. For me it is mud, snow and wet grass.
Last year I ran 9 speed 11-34 38/46 with XTR long cage derailleur... it worked faultlessly I must say. The gaps in the cassette were noticeable... but the reassuring clunk of the gear change made up for it.
This year I am back on 10 speed 11-32 newer XT 9 speed med cage derailleur 38/46 up front. Only raced it once so far as winter is only just starting. 90 minute race with a fair bit of mud... perfect shifting apart from the one time I picked up some rubbish in the cassette. I think the mtb derailleurs are better as they seem to have a stronger spring to pull down when things get mucky... and things get very mucky!!!.
Next year I will have a 2nd bike, going to get a disc frame and keep this as a pit bike :D .
10 sped set up...
9 speed... it was still changing pretty well even like this.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 am

kelsnotbilt4lycra wrote:I've heard that the 10 speed gear isn't as robust as the 9 speed stuff is for cross
Yeah, technically, and 8-speed is more robust yet.

It's a balance between how obsolete you want to buy and how much benefit you really think you're going to get out of it. I'd say "not much" on both counts.

I stayed on 8-speed on my MTB for a very long time. I had a good quality drivetrain, and it just worked... until it wore out, and I found that high-end bits just don't exist any more. It was just as cheap to buy a whole new bike than to replace/update. The 10-speed drivetrain on the new bike hasn't missed a beat yet.

If I was speccing out a new drivetrain, I would get the current generation bits. Whether you start on the 8-speed and run it into the ground or go straight to 10 is up to you. 9-speed is a dead end option.

tim

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

10 speed chains are getting all the improvements and development (well, now 11 will be), while 9 stopped ages ago, so they've improved in strength and wear resistance over 9. Plus as mentioned, 10 speed consumables are cheap and easy to source. (Go with Wippermann chains too)

Pure CX race bike? cantis and 10 speed, and tubulars.

Mixed use with gravel, commuting, etc? Discs, and either Sram 10/11 hydro / di2 hydro or whatever plus TRP Spyre/HyRd. SRAM shakes plus a Type 2 clutched mech is killer for chain retention.

CX and dirt fun? Singlespeed and no more ruined drivetrains. Cross is hard on equipment, burly SS chains and a freewheel/chainring will survive longer, plus you'll never rip a mech off. A pompino (pompetamine for disc) and a carbon fork is a bargain option.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am

I think that bloke should wash his bike :)
OI onya bike!!!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:08 pm

In 10-16 hours of racing per winter I will go through a set of rims, 2 sets of pads, a drive chain, 2 bottom brackets and new cables nearly every race. Hate to think what the guys racing seriously go through!.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 pm

One thing 9 speed has over 10 is replacement cost for consumables such as chains and cassette. Break a deralier or shifter and they're cheaper to replace too and the savings can be considerable.

kelsnotbilt4lycra

Postby kelsnotbilt4lycra » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks for your replies guys! Was thinking about keeping my crappy old Trek together for a training bike and putting 10 speed on the new frame, but I wanted to get some input from those with more of a clue than I have. By the way Toolonglegs, it was reading your posts that made me want to have a crack at cyclocross in the beginning. Next question, which I'm pretty sure you may have all heard before, 2nd hand 105/ultegra(whichever I can get for the price I've in mind), or new 10 speed tiagra. (They've got tiagra 4600 shifters for around $160 at c r c). I don't really have any experience with either.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 pm

8) Glad I was a positive influence :mrgreen: .
Things really seem to be picking up in Oz in regards to CX which is great news!.
Not really sure on the gear... I just swap around whatever I have lying around.
Personally I prefer the mix and match approach.
Definitely on my recommend list...
XT M771 9 Speed Rear Mech (works for 10sp ) ... make sure you get an inline cable adjuster to work with road shifters
Shimano Ultegra CX70 Double 10sp Front Mech ... top or bottom pull available, just better suited to small chain rings
Swiss stop Green pads... work really well in any conditions.

Other than that, whatever works... make sure you post some pics :D .
My first proper race for the winter is on Saturday :D :D :D .