Tips to learn/teach myself how to bunny hop properly

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 am

Seriously...

macca33

Re: Tips to learn/teach myself how to bunny hop properly

Postby macca33 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am

Do what most of us did as kids. Start by hopping over lines or sticks then progress to cans and then gutters/logs, etc. Worked on my Red Devil circa 1980!

sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away. ..
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Plenty of youtube vids on this topic.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... y+hop&sm=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Agree the hopping over gradually bigger sticks in yhe backyard is the go fir getting started. Lifting the front up over gutters and scooping up the rear and placing it on top a good next step and is why I ride the HT to work with knobbies on. I have fun practicing.

Then as you get faster and better practiced it kind of happens by itself. That was my experience this weekend getting over downed trees at wisemans ferry, anyway.

The tip for lifting the front is to keep your arms straight and throw your butt back to get the front up.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:16 pm

trailgumby wrote: The tip for lifting the front is to keep your arms straight and throw your butt back to get the front up.
^^^ This ^^^ is what I'm talking about. In this:

http://youtu.be/m3OEuoz9q9M?t=31s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I now notice him flicking his butt back at ~0:33.

justalf

Postby justalf » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:17 am

It's a weight shift trick. You need to lean forward and stand up before the jump, lift up with your hands (bend your elbows) to get the front wheel up, start shifting your weight back, pedal down with your dominant leg to get some forward movement and help the front wheel get up, then pull up on the pedals which should get the back wheel up as it goes over the obstacle, then shift your weight back again as you land so you don't go over the bars. Simple!
Practice on an MTB or BMX helps as does youtube.
Yep, I have some bike.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:54 am

The techniques mentioned so far are for jumping, not bunny hopping - which means you lift both wheels at the same time, essential when you encounter that unexpected pothole at 40kph. To do this you have to lift through the centre of the bike, i.e. the bottom bracket.

To bunny hop, stand with the pedals horizontal and bend your knees. As you approach the obstacle, push down hard by straightening your knees to get your body weight moving upward, then pull your legs up. With practice (and good timing) you should be able to jump kerb high. Then you can move on to with sideways hops, which use the same technique but with a lean in the direction you want to jump.

Peter Sagan has mastered the sideways hop...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:23 pm

flats or clips?
Try it over the garden hose at first... better than a stick in ya wheel if you fluff it up... kinda reverse limbo from the ground up!

Sagan doing it at 45 km/h brings in momentum. flat back, preload and pull up with the arms/legs/abs is the same though.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 am

RonK wrote:The techniques mentioned so far are for jumping, not bunny hopping - which means you lift both wheels at the same time, essential when you encounter that unexpected pothole at 40kph. To do this you have to lift through the centre of the bike, i.e. the bottom bracket.

To bunny hop, stand with the pedals horizontal and bend your knees. As you approach the obstacle, push down hard by straightening your knees to get your body weight moving upward, then pull your legs up. With practice (and good timing) you should be able to jump kerb high. Then you can move on to with sideways hops, which use the same technique but with a lean in the direction you want to jump.

Peter Sagan has mastered the sideways hop...
Bunny hopping is not lifting both wheels at the same time. I can actually do that :). But while it is ok for going up curbs, for instance, jumping makes it harder to clear obstacles because the whole bike has to be airborne for a lot longer. It also looks less smooth.

Think about how an actual bunny hops front legs up, then rear legs up, then front legs down then rear legs down.

The Peter Sagan video above shows the same thing front wheel and then rear wheel.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Here is the how to bunny hop link from Chris at MTB tips

http://www.mtbtips.com/how-to-bunny-hop/
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:53 pm

cancan64 wrote:Here is the how to bunny hop link from Chris at MTB tips

http://www.mtbtips.com/how-to-bunny-hop/
Thanks!