Buying my first bike

Jet01

Re: Buying my first bike

Postby Jet01 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Maybe I'm not as slow as I first thought, I'm trying to break the 30kmh average over 25kms. I just want to get there as soon as I can.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 pm

dont we all...

my terrain is pretty hilly so getting good at climbing is prolly where i need to focus my energies ATM. will go down to the flats and have a bit of a crack hopefully before i go away in july and see what speeds i can hold up there.

of course 4 weeks out of the saddle in Cambodia definitely wont increase my speed. then the ass end of winter and windy spring will prolly not have me getting any faster till after xmas.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Jet01 wrote:Maybe I'm not as slow as I first thought, I'm trying to break the 30kmh average over 25kms. I just want to get there as soon as I can.
This will come with time. Look at what ldr the wannabe racer achieves and he rides roadside finds, VERY heavy steel and even a tricycle!
Your legs and lungs are the first things to work on. Get some 25mm slicks (you may need new inner tubes) on and some PSI in them and you will be amazed at what you can achieve.
Sell your CX tyres on Gumtree if you think you will never use them.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Hey Jet01,

What did you decide?
Just did my first commute on the JTS with 35mm commute tyres at 80psi. I was trying to keep my HR at 140BPM (fat burning) so not the fastest I could go. But this was REALLY comfortable and it could have been quicker. http://www.strava.com/activities/161777122 I am sure with 25's it would be quicker still.

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I had a chat with the LBS. bought a proper pump for my tyres. 32's that take 80psi. Being a noob, I'd been using a hand pump. Hahahah I think my tyres had about 40 psi in them.

Well I finally got them up to the right pressure.

First ride did 28.9kmh average over 27km. In windy conditions.
Next ride, cracked 30kmh over 25km.
Then 29.9kmh over 28km.

Watched a few clips that have turned me off carbon bikes, Didn't realise they were so brittle compared alloy.

Might get some 25mm tyres later on when these ones wear out.

Really enjoying the time on the road.

Next purchase will be an on board computer that gives me cadence, current and average speed.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:50 am

Great news.
I am sure you will find that every one recommends a Garmin..
Personally I would buy a 500 full package from 99bikes full set up HR and cadence for $250 or pick up a used one from here.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 am

Glad you got it sorted cos that crossrip really is a nice looking steed. And iam sure the geometry would assist yourback issues. With more air pressure in the tires anywonder your flying now.

A good floor pump is definitely a worthy investment as getting up to pressure with a hand pump is an effot. I cheat a little and use my 4wds 12v auto pump on my roadee which is good for 150psi. Out on rides I carry Co2/spare tube and pair plastic levers. On my 26er I carry a hand pump as 2 1/4" tires are happy with 50-60psi. On my flatbar I carry a portable floor pump as it had 35s on it and I run 80-100 psi in that.

Back to the bike. I definately think you bought the right bike in the end :grin:

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

Bought a giant defy advanced 1 two weeks ago. Sooooo much better on the road.
Took my crossrip down some trails at yarrawarrah the other week. Good all rounder.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 am

Jet01 wrote: There's obviously more to a bike than just isospeed. Just going from aluminium to carbon is going to improve the ride from what I understand. I'd previously read about the domane when I first started looking at bikes. The isospeed gimmick is just a bit of a timely bonus really. I'd love to hear whether new domane owners notice the difference isospeed provides them.

I hardly think that a 26er with slicks would meet my needs. I'm working my way up to longer faster rides. According to your wisdom Koshari what standard should I be at before I've earned the privilege to buy myself a comfy full carbon road bike?
Sounds to me like you're falling into the same trap as the first time - reading too many reviews. Aside from weight, I'd guess you probably won't pick the carbon vs alu frame all else being the same. I'd argue that tyres, geometry and then frame material have most impact on ride comfort in that order. If you're not keen on swapping and offroading, then just make a permanent switch to 25c road tyres on the crossrip. Failing that get a damping seatpost thing and run thicker bar tape.

If you absolutely have to buy another bike (nothing wrong with that - I'd like to have you crossrip for cheap please), then ask the salesperson whether the bike you want is stiff. Chances are they will tell you everything is stiff as diamond but very compliant - not exactly convincing. If you want all out comfort, steel is the way to go the difference is heaps more noticeable than carbon v alu. On a side note, as much as I hate specialized, I am a real believer of their zerts technology - it's worth giving these bikes a ride. *edit too late haha
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:45 pm

The giant won bike of the year last year so didn't have to read too many reviews. Someone else did the hard work for me this time.

Great decision.

If you're serious about the bike send me a pm. I could be persuaded.