In-line brake levers

KGB

In-line brake levers

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi all, I'm in the process of collecting parts for my first CX build after finding a Surly Crosscheck frame 2nd for a reasonable deal.

I have a set of inline/interupter brake levers for the tops of the bars (an odd pair from the parts collection) and am toying whether to put them on. I wasn't planning on it but have never ridden 'cross before - are they worthwhile? Are they even legal for racing?
Like I said, I've never ridden 'cross before and am kinda testing the waters and planning on having a few races this year when possible - mostly just club level I guess. If I suck badly then I guess the Crosscheck will make a decent commuter!

alchemist

Re: In-line brake levers

Postby alchemist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 am

They are legal for racing, probably no necessary of cross but can give some confidence in more technical sections nervous riders. I put them on my bike when I was racing MTB marathons on it to give an extra hand position on long descents, they'll be coming off next time the cables and bar tape is done

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 am

I took mine off when I replaced the cables/upgraded. Didn't really use them, and by this I mean the only time I used them was when I thought "well, I have them so lets try using them... nah... back to the brifters".

Saying that though, I have done an entire 3 CX races, so it has been used almost exclusively on road, as a commuter mostly.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:56 pm

simonn wrote:I took mine off when I replaced the cables/upgraded. Didn't really use them, and by this I mean the only time I used them was when I thought "well, I have them so lets try using them... nah... back to the brifters".

Saying that though, I have done an entire 3 CX races, so it has been used almost exclusively on road, as a commuter mostly.
See, I haven't done the race side of things - but I *do* use my CX rig as my commuter.

When I am riding in the CBD I find that having brakes on the top bar is very useful for watching traffic and being able to see turning vehicles/peds while covering the brakes.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm

nezumi wrote: When I am riding in the CBD I find that having brakes on the top bar is very useful for watching traffic and being able to see turning vehicles/peds while covering the brakes.
Oddly enough, my CX is the only bike I have which I have not ridden in the CBD (I don't work there). However, I have never had a problem with visibility when on the hoods. Horses for courses I guess.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am

OK, leaving them off. Thanks guys.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Can't really speak for them in actual CX use, but don't mind at least one installed as an additional front lever on a daily ride or commuter. When already slowing in traffic, and you're sitting up with the ball of your hands on the bend in the flats (ie. just back from the hoods) you can actually lightly use and modulate with your thumb out on the end of the inline lever.

I discovered this just by chance with a build. Installed an odd lever I had from a torn down off-the-peg single brake fixie.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rjk

Postby rjk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Can't really speak for them in actual CX use, but don't mind at least one installed as an additional front lever on a daily ride or commuter. When already slowing in traffic, and you're sitting up with the ball of your hands on the bend in the flats (ie. just back from the hoods) you can actually lightly use and modulate with your thumb out on the end of the inline lever.

I discovered this just by chance with a build. Installed an odd lever I had from a torn down off-the-peg single brake fixie.
+1 i do that as well, as well i find i can come to a complete stop if i need to
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Hmmm. I had considered that actually. Being able to drag the rear brake a little would be handy. I might try without first and just see how I go. Chopping the outer cable and adding it later is easier than installing the bars and running new housing if I have it on there and don't like it.