Gravel grinder.

Original offroad cycling

Gravel grinder.

Postby Wakatuki » Tue May 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi looking to buy by first CX/ Gravel Grinder.

I had been talking compact on the Foil, a bike that hates my backside after 100ks and begins the hate at about 60ks! But I realise that I am happiest on the Foil, in a pack sitting at 35-45kph on flat coastal roads or local 40k blasts before work. So I will be sticking with it's current set up.

Prefer to have discs. Or at least disc mount points.
Compact or CX gearing.
Would love proper rear rack mounts.
Budget circa $1500. The closer to $1000 the better.

Had my eye on a Kona Jake 2014 (not snake) disc for $1000 but missed out on it.

Is the Kona recommended? Is the snake with the carbon fork and better brakes worth the extra telling off from the wife? Budget blow out...
Will the alloy fork shake me to bits?

What's is this bikes purpose? Good question, wet weather days, hills, taking that unexplored path, comfort for longer saddle days, possibly commuting and maybe even taking me on our first glamping holiday!

Happy to look at second hand but they seem to be older thoroughbred machines and more than my new budget.

This bike is not to be raced, it may be one day, I want to see if I like this type of thing and for it to lose me the minimum amount of money if I don't.

Thank you in advance.
Wakatuki

by BNA » Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 pm

BNA

Re: Gravel grinder.

Postby Wakatuki » Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Is it safe to buy specialized with being slaughtered yet? Quite like the Tricross and the Awol.
Wakatuki

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 am

The Kona Jake is a nice set-up for the dollars. The alloy fork won't be as cushy as the carbon and I'm thinking that the front end is actually over braked with a 160 mm rotor. I also reckon that 32 mm tyres are too narrow for comfortable grinding but that is a matter of opinion. The Rove and the Sutra might also be worth a look in the Kona range.

Norco Threshold is something similar. So is the Surly Long Haul Trucker (if you are on the large size then Clickbike in Sydney (better known as Dirtworks) has a few on run-out http://www.clickbike.com.au/#!product/p ... -64cm-only )

I know naff all about the Specialized but they are a nice set-up especially the AWOL (apart from the triple crank). The Tricross Comp is more road than gravel IMO given the tall gearing and skinny 32 mm tyres.

Given your budget...this could be a decent budget build project (as opposed to buy) if you can find the right frame. New frames such as the Cotic Escapade (talk to Cotic AU if you are interested), Transition Rapture or Traitor Ruben and plenty of others might be a stretch but there's always a few compromises out there to be had.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby Wakatuki » Sat May 31, 2014 11:02 am

Had a look at those online, great prices but I am not a fan of bar end shifters.
Still just milling it over.
Wakatuki

Return to Cyclocross