Monster Cross Framesets?

thecaptn

Monster Cross Framesets?

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 am

Does anyone know about CX frame and forks which can accomodate 29er tyres?

There's plenty of monster cross bikes about which are just 29er frames with drop bars but not many road/CX frames wich take fat tyres.

I saw this which looks cool:

http://cyclepista.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 1_1280.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silentbutdeadly

Re: Monster Cross Framesets?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Dunno about a CX frame but my old Giant Cypress will take a 29x2.0 tyre...
Franky, that strikes me as a nice 29er frame with a short A/C rigid fork. It can be done...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:21 am

It's a slightly expensive option, but one to consider - many 700c CX bikes will fit 27.5er MTB tyres.

A 27.5" (650B) knobby is about the same rolling diameter as a 700c CX tyre. They're just wider, and the rim is correspondingly closer to the hub. Not a problem if you have disc brakes. Depending on how the stays of the frame are designed, they might flare out enough to accommodate a wider tyre if the bulge is at a smaller radius.

I'm currently shopping for a 650B wheelset for my disc road/cross bike, so I can just do a quick wheel swap for a more gravel-biased setup (rather than swapping tyres... or just riding dirt on 25s as I often do now).

tim

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:22 pm

^^^That's interesting I've never thought of doing that. I look forward to hearing about how you go and seeing some pictures.

Pete

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:28 pm

the original image looks like 26" wheels to me... especially as i think maxxis hookworms are only 26x2.5"

also similar to what barefoot mentioned, a 700c road tyre is about the same size as a 26" mtb tyre too! i had 700x25's on my old 26" hardtail, was a good commuter.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm

I wish hookworms came in 29er sizes. I love them. Plastic tyre levers don't though.

Most Monstercrosser's I have seen have been converted MTBs unless you go for a Fargo.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I wish hookworms came in 29er sizes. I love them. Plastic tyre levers don't though.

Most Monstercrosser's I have seen have been converted MTBs unless you go for a Fargo.
Yeah it looks like there's nothing in the way of an off the shelf 29er CX frame, not surprisingly. There's a few nice hand made frames about, I can't imagine there'd be much of a market for them. I like the idea of the fargo as a touring bike but I can't imagine the geo would be conducive to speed. They're not that easy to come by either, I was trying to get one a couple of years back and gave up in the end, if I ever come across a cheap second hand one I'll grab it.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Did you look at a Singular Cycles Gryphon? A lot like the Fargo but easier to source!
I've been down this path a while back and ended up converting my rigid Lynskey 29er to be a monster crosser.
I recently decided that I wanted a true MTB and a gravel grinder so I am converting the Lynskey back to being a MTB. For the gravel grinder I set a maximum tyre width of 40mm and it was amazing how many frames got eliminated because they couldn't accommodate 40mm!! It came down to a choice of the On One Pickenflick or the Grovel and for cost reasons I chose the Grovel. I am now just waiting for the frame to arrive and my next job to come along!!
Andrew

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:27 pm

I have looked at the Gryphon, it looks almost identical to the fargo. I've just been looking, Singular make some really cool looking frames, the Swift 29er looks alright and the Peregrine looks to be pretty much what I'm after.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/singu ... 42-16.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:49 pm

But there's none available anywhere, that'd be right :roll:

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Have you tried Larry's bikes? He brought Singular bikes into Australia.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:00 am

gabrielle260 wrote:Have you tried Larry's bikes? He brought Singular bikes into Australia.
Thanks for the tip, just Emailed them.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Yep they've got one and they aren't too far away so I can pick it up. I love the look of them and am about 90% decided to grab it but am worried that it could end up pretty heavy once built.

I'd really appreciate some opinions on this please guys, c'mon talk me into/out of it :mrgreen:
Pete

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Might end up heavy when built, but that would have near bugger-all to do with the frame.

A heavy-ish frame is only, what, 500g heavier than a light-ish frame? Say, 2250g against 1750g?

It's only once you add the remaining 10kg of components that you end up with a pretty heavy bike.

I don't know about the frame you're looking at, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in that 2000g +- 250g range...

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 pm

A medium is 2.3kg plus 1kg for the fork, I need a large. I 'spose that's not so bad?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 pm

I have frames made from True Temper OX Platinum, 2.04 for a disc CX and 2.2 for a 29er (with an ebb).The weight is not an issue for me as I tend to keep bikes for a long time and the TT OX Plat works well for my frame sizes (xl), weight (under 80kg) and type of riding ( smooth-ish long gravel type not short, steep downhill and technical) Pretty sure my road bike which is built with the same stuff is just a tad under 2 kg?
I also like having an ebb for ss and happy to put up with a few grams for this option.
I would have guessed that the Gryphon would have been quite a heavier than this.Maybe that is without the weight of the ebb? Anyway get one, seen a few about and they look like great all-rounders which will serve you well for a long time. I would also like to get a Singular Kite if I ever get to break the On-One Pompino, which sadly seems unlikely. Do you know the bloke that owns Singular is an Australian?
Also re the cx/29er into a 650b option, I have been thinking of doing this to my salsa for a while http://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blogs/65 ... conversion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If weight really is an issue think http://www.ninerbikes.com/RLT9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 pm

My alloy framed but steel forked monster ghetto crosser weighs in around 13 kg with no consideration of weight saving. The sweet steel hardtail MTB with a 2.3 kg frame comes in just over 11 kg built with some consideration to weight. So does my Scott CX. A Gryphon would come in around this mark. That's not weighty given the prospective use for such a steed. They'll all still do an easy and relatively comfortable 30 km/h on a dirt road...which is more than can be said for many sub 10 kg bikes.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks very much for the replies guys, all good points. The Niner is really nice, not much like what I was looking for but probably a more sensible option, the Sram Force version of the complete bike would be awesome. I didn't know about the Singular guy being Australian, I'm surprised that there isn't more of them around 'cause they're very cool.
Weight is a bit of a consideration, it's not something I normally worry about much. I've been using my CX commuter on group CX rides locally which does the job fairly well, it's a great bike and has all the bells and whistles you'd expect on a commuter, comes in at a reasonable 13.5kg. I'm just under 100kg and it's very hilly here, my rides are normally around 50-100km. I don't struggle, I'm just slow climbing compared to others and I notice the difference when riding my roady, which is set up for hills, at 8.5-9kg.
While considering weight, I could just go and buy an off the shelf carbon CX bike but I'd like to have something a bit different for a change. I've never built up my own bike and would like to have a go at that and having something that will last a long time appeals. I also need to consider the budget or the Mrs'l get narky.
In a nutshell I want something that's big and heavy but doesn't weigh too much :roll:

I'll keep working on it.....

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:19 am

For a different angle, check out the Giant Seek 3 for a potential monstercross on a budget. For a $600 retail...most of what you need is there. All it needs is a flared drop bar, some Sora shifters and a new FD (if you want a FD) to be a monstercross. This is essentially how mine started out...

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:27 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:For a different angle, check out the Giant Seek 3 for a potential monstercross on a budget. For a $600 retail...most of what you need is there. All it needs is a flared drop bar, some Sora shifters and a new FD (if you want a FD) to be a monstercross. This is essentially how mine started out...

wow, i didn't realise they were so cheap...

i was wanting to sell my single speed to get a cheap roadie to take to the gym etc, as i'm not to keen on leaving my chinese carbon chariot in bike racks, etc.
this might be what i need, then some drop bars... also have spare 10spd gear too.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:36 am

Yep. And lob on one of these for good measure http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOOOSCF470 ... arbon-fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Yep. And lob on one of these for good measure http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOOOSCF470 ... arbon-fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gee that looks like yet another copy of the venerable Trigon / Token / Picasia / Ritchie rigid carbon fork like I have on my Chitanium roadie.

But slightly different. And a whole lot heavier. And a bit more expensive.

The graphics are cool though.

tim

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 pm

barefoot wrote:Gee that looks like yet another copy of the venerable Trigon / Token / Picasia / Ritchie rigid carbon fork like I have on my Chitanium roadie.

The graphics are cool though.

tim

it's actually extremely different! the fork almost looks backwards, i had a chinese carbon version which is almost a copy on 2 of my other bikes.

Last edited by mitchy_ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:38 pm

barefoot wrote:Gee that looks like yet another copy of the venerable Trigon / Token / Picasia / Ritchie rigid carbon fork like I have on my Chitanium roadie.

Not remotely the same. They have a huge forward throw in order to get the rake. Rather than the far more traditional thingy you linked to

This was why I didn't get them for my steel framed 29er. I could not see it complementing narrow steel tubes so I got a more conventional but more expensive Carver. However on a hydroformed alloy frame like the Seek...that's another story.