Best CX tyre for fire roads and non technical single track

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:11 pm

As the title says what's everybody's opinion for the best tyre for this style of riding.

I'm leaning towards a classic road style file tread in a 32/35mm, they seem to work on the coarse chip/dirt/gravel/sand where I live.

However I think a classic CX file tread like the Vittoria XN pro might be the go.

Any other suggestions?

silentbutdeadly

Re: Best CX tyre for fire roads and non technical single tra

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:36 pm

We've had local success with Maxxis Raze and Schwalbe Racing Ralph. Grifo Challenge are next on the list to try

I've also run Vittoria Radonneur Cross Pro but haven't been convinced by them because they weren't grippy in the terrain style you mention at higher pressures but lower pressures contributed to many too many pinch flats on the tubes. They were also a bastard to refit to the rim after such an event...purely a bike path tyre from herein.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:53 pm

How do you find the Raze on bitumen? The raised centre section looks like it would be a handful on twisty fast downhills. What pressures are you running them at?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:36 am

singlespeedscott wrote:How do you find the Raze on bitumen? The raised centre section looks like it would be a handful on twisty fast downhills. What pressures are you running them at?
I haven't run them but the bloke who did was very impressed...even on the tar. We don't have much in the way of twisty downhill (or even downhill) where we are. His pressures ranged from 35 to 50 depending on the surface being targeted. The only downside to them is that they appeared to wear quite quickly...

Personally I run the Racing Ralph's at around 60 and this seems to work for all surfaces so far (though it is a bit hard on singletrack). No complaints.

But if you are majority riding on harder surfaces then I'd look at something like the Schwalbe Sammy Slick 700x35 folding

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:38 am

i'm running Raze's on both my CX bikes. at ~90kg i have 65psi rear/55psi front for the road. they are bloody fast for a CX tyre.. they do wear relatively quick, but are also reasonable cheap. ($30-35 from Pushys)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 am

After a bit of online research I have ordered a pair of 32mm Clement X'Plor MSO's to try. We'll see if they match the hype.

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 am

singlespeedscott wrote:How do you find the Raze on bitumen? The raised centre section looks like it would be a handful on twisty fast downhills. What pressures are you running them at?
The Raze is horrible on the tarmac but found them reliable on downhills as long as its dry, the come up short as soon as it comes to anything muddy...
Heard positive things about the choice you made, keep us updated on how they roll
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 am

singlespeedscott wrote:After a bit of online research I have ordered a pair of 32mm Clement X'Plor MSO's to try. We'll see if they match the hype.
i'm waiting for a set of these in 40mm - hoping they have enough volume to ride more technical sniggle...

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 am

singlespeedscott wrote:After a bit of online research I have ordered a pair of 32mm Clement X'Plor MSO's to try. We'll see if they match the hype.
Heard some of that hype...and I like the look of them too. When the 42 Maxxis Wormdrive's on the Grinder go away (they are wearing fast) I might give the 40 version of the Clement's a go.

Turns out mate who was running Maxxis Raze is now running Schwalbe CX Pro and he's quite taken with them.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I would of gone the 40mm but they won't fit the old Ricardo Elite Franken-cross that I want to build up.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 pm

The tyres turned up today. I mounted them up on my ancient wheelset that uses Sun Mistral rims and they measured an undersized 29mm in width :? Disappointing I must say. Based on this I should of gone the 40mm.

With a bit of luck I might be able to give them spin next week and I'll report back.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:10 pm

I have been running Smart Sams in a 35mm for about 18 months on the front and about 6 months on the back. So far pretty happy with them. Handle everything from fast downhill dirt to windy tar roads.

Much longer lasting than the Maxxis Raze I had. Only got 600kms of mixed riding out of it.

I also tried a set of Marathon Cross in 38mm and they were ok. Will use the old front as a rear when my current Smart Sam is gone.

I am tempted by the Sulry Knard in 40mm when I next need new tyres.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Still haven't ridden the Clements in anger yet. I'm still waiting on the ok from the work doc for my dodgy back.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 35mm.

These are the third set of tyres I've used after the original Conti CX Speed 35s, and the Vittoria Randoneur Cross 35s.

The Contis were lightweight racing tyres and were quite good but wore out quickest. The Vitts were more a commuter style tyre, and were ok, but the current Shwalbes are great. Not too heavy, they roll really well on harder stuff and still have some bite on gravel.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Ok I finally got round to trying out the Clements. In the end I only mounted one on the back as I wanted more bag on the front. Here's a couple of piccies to start ImageImage

As you can see they certainly don't measure out to 32mm. The best casing width I achieved was at max 75psi and even then it was only paltry 29mm.

On coarse chip bitumen and hard pack dirt they do roll along nice with no undue growling usually associated with knobby tyre.

Heavy gravel and sand are definitely not their friend. Traction was not the best on super steep climbs either. I ran the rear at silly high 65psi. Any lower and they rolled around to much, side slipped on unseated climbs and bottom out to much for my liking. I currently weigh in a post Chrissy 79kg.

I think I'll try the 42mm version. It will probably measure 35mm based on this experience.

Would I recommend these tyres? Only if you have limited tyre clearance and most of your riding is hard packed dirt. For anything else you really need a bigger bag.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:44 pm

I think I'll try the 42mm version. It will probably measure 35mm based on this experience.
Are those 700c rims sun mistral hard annos?
Bit harsh to blame the tyres and the widths on these rims. These are pretty narrow things and built around using 21 to 23 mm tyres at road type high pressure. Really cant be arsed to do it, but if I did drop on any of my 32, 33 or 35 cx tyres on to these rims I doubt I would get the same inflated width as the rims what I normally run ie dt X470 and TK540.
While these are good rims for the road and I do like them (and it could just be me) but I kinda feel at low psi they will do the taco on you pretty quick if used in/ on the dirt for rocky descents. Won’t the hard anno just vanish with a bit of sand on your pads?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Yes they are mistrals hard ano's. Their 36 hole and have few km on them. As such the anodizing has worn away already.

I don't buy into the wide width rim fad for smaller width tyres. I find that all it achieves is a lose of tyre depth and sidewalls more prone to cutting.

However as a matter of interest I mounted a tyre on a Velocity Blunt rim. Even on this bad boy it only measured 31mm and lost a lot of depth. Something that makes it more prone to bottoming out IMO.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:51 am

Summary Table Comparision & Write ups comparing a variety of tyres

Some thoughts for gravel grinders in this thread

Rob

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:07 am

Unfortunately it's a review of cross tyres not gravel tyres. I still think the Clements in the larger size would be just about perfect.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:16 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I would of gone the 40mm but they won't fit the old Ricardo Elite Franken-cross that I want to build up.
Did u build this up? Pics?

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 pm

singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 am
"Unfortunately it's ... not gravel tyres"

Okay so its just "dry gravel"....what size is the gravel? pea gravel? If so to stop front wheel washout I'd go a bit more lugged on the front

on the MTB for loose dry gravel I'm running
Front Specialized "The Captain" Bigger bitey lugs to minimise front wheel washout 26 x 2.0
Rear Specialized "Fast Track Lk" 26 x 2.0

So Maybe something similar in the 700c Specialized CC Tyres
Front - Tracer
Rear - Trigger
They are 700 x 33 though so maybe not enough bag for your preference, how big are the potholes in the gravel road or is it not a graded fire trail?

(else the equivalent from Conti)

Rob

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Unfortunately it's a review of cross tyres not gravel tyres. I still think the Clements in the larger size would be just about perfect.
Have you had a look at the Kenda Happy Medium in 700 x 40mm?
Similar tread pattern to the Clements and closer to the advertised width.
Andrew

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Not long switched grinder rims from Alex DA16 or 19 to some slightly wider XLR8 Rouler rims (21mm internal I think) and by crikey what a win...old rims with 35 mm tyres would snake bite like a mad 4 yr old but new wider rims = cushy...go figure!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:40 pm

yugyug wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I would of gone the 40mm but they won't fit the old Ricardo Elite Franken-cross that I want to build up.
Did u build this up? Pics?
Here you go

Rob74 wrote:singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 am
"Unfortunately it's ... not gravel tyres"

Okay so its just "dry gravel"....what size is the gravel? pea gravel? If so to stop front wheel washout I'd go a bit more lugged on the front

on the MTB for loose dry gravel I'm running
Front Specialized "The Captain" Bigger bitey lugs to minimise front wheel washout 26 x 2.0
Rear Specialized "Fast Track Lk" 26 x 2.0

So Maybe something similar in the 700c Specialized CC Tyres
Front - Tracer
Rear - Trigger
They are 700 x 33 though so maybe not enough bag for your preference, how big are the potholes in the gravel road or is it not a graded fire trail?

(else the equivalent from Conti)

Rob
It's more the loose, deep, gravel and sand. They are fine on hardpack and sandstone. As well as more float from a wider width there is the extra cush that the comes with it.