Giant TCX 2 SLR 2015

bmk1068

Giant TCX 2 SLR 2015

Postby bmk1068 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Does anyone have one of these as I am considering buying one to be used mainly as my commute bike. I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

ProCelebrityGolf

Re: Giant TCX 2 SLR 2015

Postby ProCelebrityGolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Not sure if you are still looking for advice. I have a 2014 tcx advance 0, so the top of the range carbon frame but lots in common with the tcx 2.

Short version of the story I've been very happy with the bike. You should be aware of a few things

Steerer tube is an odd size which limits your stem choices.
Wheelset are Giant branded but manufactured by DT Swiss. Freehub is louder than shimano but quieter than Hope. Mine have performed flawlessly.
Handlebar is a bit odd shaped and I replaced it quickly.
Stock tyres are good for cx but I would take them off and sell them to someone who wants to run them tubeless and instead buy yourself something better for road commuting.
Front quick release is 15mm thru axle which is awesome for riding but may limit you if you have existing wheelsets at home you were hoping to put on your new bike.
Mech disc brakes are plenty powerful enough, ignore anyone who tell you that hydro is the only way to go. Hydro certainly have their place but pronably overkill for commuting.

bmk1068

Re: Giant TCX 2 SLR 2015

Postby bmk1068 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks, for that.

I did go out and buy the bike. I have only had it a month and I have ridden about 300km on it mainly for commute. I did change out the tyres with Gatorskin 28's and replaced the saddle with an exisiting Selle Italia Maxflite gel flow from an older bike.

Overall I am very happy with bike, however there are a couple of niggly complaints that I have, one being that I find the wheelset extemly heavy and I agree with the handlebars as I knock my knees regularly on the drops when standing. I am also finding that my front brakes shudder and squeal, this could just be that they need more time to bed in. As with anything bike orientated, when the cash flow allows I will look at upgrading components.

I do agree with you on the pulling power of the brakes and the certianly are good enough for commute purposes. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in the winter in Melbourne.