Paddy Wagon Cross

Gunlock

Paddy Wagon Cross

Postby Gunlock » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Hey guys,

I'm tempted to CX-ify my bash around commuter (a Kona Paddy Wagon) by putting some CX tyres on there (An internet search tells me you can fit 32s on a Paddy Wagon) such as http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... e088c36e9d in a 31.

For people who have ridden at FoJ, would that sort of tyre be sufficient if there wasnt too much mud around?

Other than that, i'd probably need to lower my gear ratio (currently at 42 x 16).

Thoughts? Am i insane?

m@

Re: Paddy Wagon Cross

Postby m@ » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:53 pm

Do it! Definitely insane, but in a good way :mrgreen:

Looking at some actual photos, the CX Comps look like a reasonably chunky file tread with decent side knobs. In the dry I'd say they'd be fine; you might lose traction a little on the really steep bit if they include it as a climb, but with the new step at the bottom most mere mortals are running that anyway. But they should be good for the off-camber descents etc. and give you a decent advantage on the flat bits. If it's muddy you'll effectively be running slicks though ;)

42x16 will definitely have you hurting on the climbs, unless you have much better climbing legs than me (which isn't unlikely). I was running 42x11-32 at round 2 and think I hit the 42x32 on the little pinch climb on the last lap...

Dirty Deeds is a lot flatter, so might be a good trial run. I'm thinking about riding my Repco Traveller singlespeed/pub bike for the next one just for gits and shiggles... but I have to get around to fitting a rear brake first ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence m@ :mrgreen:

Have found a cheap 20 tooth freewheel as well, so i might chuck that on one side so i have 42x16 and 42x20 options for free riding / CX use.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:08 pm

Gunlock wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence m@ :mrgreen:

Have found a cheap 20 tooth freewheel as well, so i might chuck that on one side so i have 42x16 and 42x20 options for free riding / CX use.
Did you end up doing it? How'd it go?

I was thinking of doing the same with my paddy!

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:31 pm

misterhorsey wrote: Did you end up doing it? How'd it go?

I was thinking of doing the same with my paddy!
I put the tyres on but never got any further - i was going to try and race with the current freewheel but i never managed to get the time on a CX weekend to head out there.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Next year. I'll get my act together. Form a paddywagon cx team!