First cyclocross bike

Achandab

First cyclocross bike

Postby Achandab » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi all. Newbie to the cycling scene so be kind.

Looking to purchase my first CC bike and was looking for the best features Without breaking the bank. Wanted a carbon frame with hydraulic breakers. Looking at riding to work, bike tracks and occasionally down mountain terrain. So an all in one is what Im after. So far I'm looking at these two from Planet X.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSRIV ... cross-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSCX1 ... cross-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both are currently on sale so hoping to make a decision before that's over. Have had a chat with them and they seem friendly and responsive.

My questions are

1. Has anyone dealt with Planet X before and do you recommend them?

2. What are your thoughts on these bikes has anyone previously or currently used them?

3. Is the extra $$$ worth tit for the CX1 model

4. Is there any other bikes you can recommend as good for approx the price range above?

Thanks in advance :)

silentbutdeadly

Re: First cyclocross bike

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 am

For that sort of cash and customs fees...I'd look locally. Focus Mares and the like.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks for the response. I'll have a look, any particular model you recommend or have used?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Achandab wrote:1. Has anyone dealt with Planet X before and do you recommend them?

Thanks in advance :)
Yes and No.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:19 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:For that sort of cash and customs fees...I'd look locally. Focus Mares and the like.
+1 to this especially this time of year with shops doing deals on runout models.

If you buy locally you might consider getting the shop to swap the cx crankset out for a compact?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Achandab wrote:Has anyone dealt with Planet X before and do you recommend them?
Yes and yes - I've had good service and excellent support from them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Cheers guys. Won't jump the gun then yet. Have noticed the Carbon version of the Focus Mares is 3k plus though.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:32 am

Achandab wrote:Cheers guys. Won't jump the gun then yet. Have noticed the Carbon version of the Focus Mares is 3k plus though.
Did you notice the bikes you linked were in £, not AUD?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Achandab wrote:Cheers guys. Won't jump the gun then yet. Have noticed the Carbon version of the Focus Mares is 3k plus though.
I was quoted $2.8k RRP for the carbon the other week...but there's not much wrong with the cheaper alloy version either

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:14 pm

thecaptn wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:For that sort of cash and customs fees...I'd look locally. Focus Mares and the like.
If you buy locally you might consider getting the shop to swap the cx crankset out for a compact?
Why would you bother. A 46x11 is more than adequate a top gear and a 36x28 will get you up all but the steepest of climbs. I have two bikes with similar gearing and never wished for more and I ride some pretty steep and rough terrain, both up and down.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Dealt with Planet X / OnOne ... There deals / bikes are good. I have a TT bike, steel hardtail and wheels... No probs with any of them. But in Oz you will be a bit screwed if you have warranty issues with the frame etc... Their after sake service quality can vary widely.
Looked at their CX bikes previously but didn't find them hugely competitive in prices.

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:21 pm

BenGr wrote:
Did you notice the bikes you linked were in £, not AUD?

Yes and after conversion with delivery about $2,500. So still a fair bit cheaper than the carbon Focus models.

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:23 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Dealt with Planet X / OnOne ... There deals / bikes are good. I have a TT bike, steel hardtail and wheels... No probs with any of them. But in Oz you will be a bit screwed if you have warranty issues with the frame etc... Their after sake service quality can vary widely.
Looked at their CX bikes previously but didn't find them hugely competitive in prices.

Yes I guess that's the risk you have to talk when purchasing from overseas. Was hoping for a better sale on their CX models. Though they have deals every week so I'll have to be patient.

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:25 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
I was quoted $2.8k RRP for the carbon the other week...but there's not much wrong with the cheaper alloy version either

Hey mate. Can you link me where you got that quote from?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:28 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
thecaptn wrote:
Why would you bother. A 46x11 is more than adequate a top gear and a 36x28 will get you up all but the steepest of climbs. I have two bikes with similar gearing and never wished for more and I ride some pretty steep and rough terrain, both up and down.
I'd bother because I'd have more gears.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:39 am

Achandab wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:

Hey mate. Can you link me where you got that quote from?
Nope. LBS has no online presence! Just a simple country town operation...

Might have been a 2015 model too?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 am

Focus Mares IS a great bike, particularly the CX (carbon) framesets.

Do a bit of internet searching, then ring around a few LBS - know what you are looking for and be prepared to make a reasonable offer. There are ALWAYS bargains to be had at this time of year - trust me...

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:01 am

macca33 wrote:Focus Mares IS a great bike, particularly the CX (carbon) framesets.

Do a bit of internet searching, then ring around a few LBS - know what you are looking for and be prepared to make a reasonable offer. There are ALWAYS bargains to be had at this time of year - trust me...

cheers

cheers mate. Have been doing lots of research and that sounds like a good idea.

Achandab

Postby Achandab » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:42 am

So i jumped the gun and purchased the Focus Marex CX disk Ultegra

http://www.focus-bikes.com/au/en/bikes/ ... tegra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will be taking it out this weekend. Would love to hear your thoughts on this bike. Got it for a steal as well :)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Local bike studio has a focus on Focus...and quite a few Mares of different spec. None of them undesirable!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:01 pm

As I had mentioned - I love the Mares CX - I have the 2013 cantilever brakes version. They are truly good rigs!

Enjoy yours.

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

softy

Postby softy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:03 pm

thecaptn wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote: Why would you bother. A 46x11 is more than adequate a top gear and a 36x28 will get you up all but the steepest of climbs. I have two bikes with similar gearing and never wished for more and I ride some pretty steep and rough terrain, both up and down.
I'd bother because I'd have more gears.
46 x 11t will get you close to 50km at 90 cadence, so it will be up to the OP to work out if they intend to push beyond these speeds. I personally have a roadie tt hybrid i built up with 39 x 11t max and it is fine to 45km. Which i find adequate for zipping around the city and PSPs.

sticking with a 46/36 will give you small increments on your cadence and a smaller change from front rings. I would try it first. Maybe what the doctor ordered. :)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:14 pm

^^When you wear out the 36 ring replace it with a 34.

46/34 into 11-28 or 12-30 is a pretty nice spread.

Or swap the inner rings from your roadie (assuming you have compacts) and the CX. 50/36 on a roadie is really nice.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:32 am

I'm abandoning 46/36 completely and going to 1x (like I have on the MTBs). I have a Race Face 130BCD 42T NW ring inbound for the Apex chainset on the CX. There's also some new boots coming - Challenge Gravel Grinder clinchers in 700x38. I found that I've been riding the CX so little on the road (gravel roads, trails and tracks are just minutes from my house) that I've never been able to exploit the full 46x11 -13 experience and there are so few hills in this part of the world that 34 is too low to take advantage of, so I've decided to abandon them altogether...so it'll be 42 into 11-32.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:45 am

^^ Good example of setting up for local conditions as simply as possible.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"