creamyy

Merida Cyclocross 700 vs Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2

Postby creamyy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Looking at these two bikes:

Merida Cyclocross 700 - $2500, rep can do for $2300
http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike16-merida ... signal-red

Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 - Found a shop that will do it for $2700
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications

Is there something I'm missing? The Merida has better components but the Giant has a carbon frame and is more expensive.

Which would you guys pick?

KGB

Re: Merida Cyclocross 700 vs Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2

Postby KGB » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:13 am

Personally, I'd take the giant. The merida is also a good option though.
Take the giant if you want a light, race level frame. It's worthy of better components if you are someone who likes to tinkerand might upgrade parts along the way.
Take the merida if you just want to ride it and not change anything. You're getting a better component group - mostly weight savings and a bit of bling. Functionally pretty similar to 105 but the weight will offset the difference in the frames.

Aluminium is a well developed material - it's not overly difficult for manufacturers to produce a very good aluminum frame at a decent cost these days.
Carbon takes a bit more R&D and usually has the 'fancy' features like asymmetric status on the giant, hence the higher cost and lower spec groupo. Whether you can tell any difference on the bike is another story...

One thing about the specs - the giant page says it has rs785 brakes in the blurb and then says it has rs505 brakes in the full specs. I think 505 is more likely as they are the 105 level stuff and 785 is designed for Di2.

Lastly, $400 isn't chump change here, that's a significant difference between the two. On value alone, I'd have to say Merida.
I'm a bit tight but $2700 for a 105 level bike is a bit of a stretch in my book. Admittedly it has a nice frame and hydro discs which I guess justify the expense.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:15 am

One more thing, if you're rough or going to abuse it, remember that aluminium will dent or bend where carbon will crack and break.

creamyy

Postby creamyy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks for that. Hopefully some stores have boxing day sales tomorrow.