Re: Cannondale slate

Postby AP81 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:44 pm

jaseyjase wrote: Close! CAAD4 :mrgreen:
My bad!
Steel - is - real

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:52 pm

CycloTron wrote:I'm guessing these frames take 26" wheels? Or will 650b also fit?
yep 26". I havnt tried 650 but you might be able to squeeze in pending tyre size.

ChrisD

Postby ChrisD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Well this was certainly a great buy, 92ks this morning (6 passes through Bobbo), 11ks of fire trails and some sneaky single track. The stock tires are impressive but I'm still looking forward to the WTB Resolute that I've got on order.

AP81

Postby AP81 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Nice. The best bike is the one that puts a smile on your face every time. Sounds like it was the right bike to buy!
Steel - is - real

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 am

Thread resurrection time yet again.

I have been initiated into the world of CX/Singletrack(ish)/Gravel through my testing of the Reid Granite 3.

Gotta say I loved it and last weekend did a 62km gravel ride around McLaren Vale. The Granite was shod with 35c Conti Cyclocross Race, and whilst probably not the idela tyre, was what came with the bike.

In the riding I've been doing on some of the local trails and on the weekend ride, was thinking whether a bigger tyre (40c or ?) or some front suspension (like the Slate) would be better for the riding that I have been doing/plan on for the future rather than the fixed suspension of the Granite ?

So, I'd like to hear what those with the suspension have found ?

Cheers

Michael

AP81

Postby AP81 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:Thread resurrection time yet again.

I have been initiated into the world of CX/Singletrack(ish)/Gravel through my testing of the Reid Granite 3.

Gotta say I loved it and last weekend did a 62km gravel ride around McLaren Vale. The Granite was shod with 35c Conti Cyclocross Race, and whilst probably not the idela tyre, was what came with the bike.

In the riding I've been doing on some of the local trails and on the weekend ride, was thinking whether a bigger tyre (40c or ?) or some front suspension (like the Slate) would be better for the riding that I have been doing/plan on for the future rather than the fixed suspension of the Granite ?

So, I'd like to hear what those with the suspension have found ?

Cheers

Michael
The slate is an awesome bike...huge fan.

You could fit a suspension fork like this this, but by the time you're done it's a fairly expensive $1k+ exercise.

I would experiment with bigger tyres first, and look at possibly adding a dropper seat post.
Steel - is - real

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 pm

The Lauf fork is another option. Limited suspension travel. But like the Fox, it isn't cheap.

I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Cannondale was making Leftys that will fit other manufacturers' bikes?

Apart from fork and saddle and tyres ... There's also the option of the Redshift Shockstop stem ..
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/08/redshif ... em-review/

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Cheers guys.

Yep, tyres is the simplest route, but if I go down that route, I'd be looking at a bike with all of that there, rather than piece one together.

The Granite 3 could fit prob a 40C tyre, but it is also biased to road with 50/34 & 11-32 gearing. I'd rather something that is more gravel oriented to start with though.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

I just run an early 90’s hardtail MTB fitted with drop bars. The geo, other than the 26” tyre and slightly higher bb is identical to modern “gravel” bikes. The advantage is that I can run 2” tyres, I use Compass Rattrap Pass, and utilise a short travel suspension fork. This bike smashes all my mates bikes in the rough and is just as fast on the bitumen. The key is to find a good steel frame.

Imo front suspension is the future of all road bikes. My old bike runs a Marzocchi Z1 atom bomb. The 80mm of travel realty improves your comfort level on corrugations at control on rough downhill descents.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:23 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I just run an early 90’s hardtail MTB fitted with drop bars. The geo, other than the 26” tyre and slightly higher bb is identical to modern “gravel” bikes. The advantage is that I can run 2” tyres,....
This too is an option, but then requires investment to get the groupset right. For the budget I have (bugger all) and parts available (none), and time to faff about and find stuff (limited, as I'd rather ride), a better solution for me would be to find something s/h and just ride.

An example is there is a GT Grade Alloy Rival (almost new, only 500km) for $950. My size too.

Need to sell a frame I have 1st, and then might consider this, but tyre size (width) may be an issue.

As stated, the trials I have ridden recently, some suspension/bigger tyres may be a nice thing to have.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:13 pm

So, been looking, looking, looking. Found a NOS Slate frame (in my size too) for a reasonable $499. But then soon realised how much the fork would cost, let along all the other stuff, so that quickly shut down that idea.

I'll keep looking and thinking and see what pops up :-)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 pm

caneye wrote:The Lauf fork is another option. Limited suspension travel.
I'd bump the lauf fork suggestion. Only ridden it once for a very short period, but I rekon it's best application is somewhat heavy duty gravel grinder. Traditional forks are a little overkill and /or the a2c is way off and imo the lefty concept is too expy for what it is - having said that, my next mtb WILL be a lefty! I'd discount bigger tyres because you get a lot of comfort, but lose lots of speed.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

With the right tyres you won’t lose speed.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:27 am

Calvin27 wrote:
caneye wrote:The Lauf fork is another option. Limited suspension travel.
I'd bump the lauf fork suggestion. Only ridden it once for a very short period, but I rekon it's best application is somewhat heavy duty gravel grinder. ...
For me, at a price close to $1k just for the fork is close to what I’ll pay for a whole bike !

As good and interesting as it would be, unless I get a bike for $50, it’s not really an option for me, maybe others though ?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 am

singlespeedscott wrote:With the right tyres you won’t lose speed.
Serious question, wouldn't that just make the 'right' tyre faster/slower that it's larger/smaller variant?
MichaelB wrote: For me, at a price close to $1k just for the fork is close to what I’ll pay for a whole bike !

As good and interesting as it would be, unless I get a bike for $50, it’s not really an option for me, maybe others though ?
Maybe gel padded bar tape and (god forbid) a thudbuster lol? But seriously, the gel bar tape is good stuff!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 am

Calvin27 wrote:
MichaelB wrote: For me, at a price close to $1k just for the fork is close to what I’ll pay for a whole bike !

Maybe gel padded bar tape and (god forbid) a thudbuster lol? But seriously, the gel bar tape is good stuff!
It may be good, but not pot-hole good.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Well, it seems like they don't exist in SA :cry:

Bike Bug have the Apex version for $1,900, but only in Perth or Sydney. Our local Cannondale dealer doesn't have any, and they'd be at full retail whack. Any others are in Syd or Melbourne.

Still am very interested in one, so if anyone knows of on that can get to SA (used or new), let me know.

TIA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:37 am

Well, things move on quick.

I can get a local store to get one of the 2018 Apex 1 versions in for $1,999. Had a contact from a Farceberk group that had a very little used 2016(?) 105 version for sale. In my size !!

Was tossing up between the S/H 105 (damn, I really don't like the look of those levers ...) and the new Apex 1 - then I realised that the Apex version in 10sp :? . A plus for the 105 version is the better calipers (RS785), 11sp and dual CR up front which is better for some of the smoother gravel roads, and the tar bits getting to & from the offroad and single track.

A couple of messages back and forth, and it seems like I'm about to make a deal. :mrgreen:

Need to adjust the gearing a bit for me and where I'll be riding - 52/36 & 11-28 is just too tall for me. Have some 50/34 rings at home, and just looking at cassette options - wondering whether 11-34 HG800 will be good enough, or whether to go a tad more like a SRAM 11-36 PG11-30 ?

The Reid Granite 3 that I've been reviewing has 50/34 & 11-32 and there are some climbs that I do where a bit lower gearing may just work that little bit better.

EDIT : Doh !!! :oops: Just realised the Apex 1 version has a rigid fork !! Oh well, agreed to buy the 105 anyway. Phew !!

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:14 am

excellent. do share some pics :)

i'm using a 11-36 mtb cassette on my cx bike. (it's 10-speed though)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Nothing exciting yet as it’s just a std bike !

1st ride today and I gotta say that girl is great. !!!

In the process of hunting down a longer stem (need 110mm) and getting some tubes and doing some reading about setting up and servicing the Oliver.

Will change the chainrings over in next few days, but priority is getting road bike finished ready for Gold Coast trip

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:28 pm

caneye wrote:excellent. do share some pics :)

OK, here goes ... a bit dusty from the ride to work !!

Spec at the moment is stock std apart from some Schwalbe G-One Allround tyres.

Because the Slate is so different to my current roadie (new Liscio Gen 2 build just finished :mrgreen: ), had to go and do a bit of shopping. Got some 27.5 x 1.5 tubes (funny how many shops DIDN'T have them !) and have a few more on order. And some other things are on the cards already in terms of mods ;
- Change stem from 100mm to 110mm (damn, these are bloody expensive .... :? )
- Swap out 52/36 chain rings for 50/34 (have them already)
- Swap out the 11-28 cassette for the 11-32 I have sitting as a spare (some of the trails I frequent have some steep stuff)
- MT520 calipers ordered for F&R (Find it odd that F&R calipers are different - changing to MT520's as they use same pads as my roadie, and the RS505 pads are TINY)
- Probably fit the 3T Ergonova carbon bars - spares from the new Liscio build)
- Look at Pioneer PM for NDS crank

Oh, and ride the bugger !!!!!

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:38 pm

nice!
certainlyl reminds me of the Slate i saw climbing Akuna Bay.
are those 650b size wheels?

oh .. interesting saddle bag colour!

how do you like the schwalbe G-ones?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 am

Wasn't me, I'm in Adelaide :)
Yep, still the std 650B wheels.

Leftover from freebie giveaway as the last saddle bag died and haven't had a chance to buy a new one.
the G-Ones (38 wide) From the one ride I had on them (mixture of road and hard packed single trail) - they worked fine. They were prob a bit low on pressure

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 am

Why so narrow a tyre. I’d be fitting at least a 42. Merlin has gravel king 650b tyres in stock for $45 au a pop. You can get 2 delivered to Australia for $100.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Why so narrow a tyre. I’d be fitting at least a 42. Merlin has gravel king 650b tyres in stock for $45 au a pop. You can get 2 delivered to Australia for $100.
That’s what is on there and they are still just about new. There is room for bigger, but I’ll wear theses out 1st !!