Ho w does the Giant TCX SLR 2 ride?

Machoman121

Ho w does the Giant TCX SLR 2 ride?

Postby Machoman121 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:09 pm

I've got a Giant Defy SL 2 2015 - it's a disc bike that runs with 28mm max tyres but i'm using 25mm at the moment. We' ve recently moved to an estate next to bike paths and if i go left there's a bit of gravel to contend with. I'm currently using a 26inch hardtail converted rigid (rigid fork) to ride it if i go towards that.

I'm dreaming :lol: of another bike....more cyclocross/gravel which will take bigger tyres - is something like the Giant TCX SLR 2 offer enough of a difference to the Defy i already own?

How will the TCX ride differ from the Defy?

gsxrboy

Re: Ho w does the Giant TCX SLR 2 ride?

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:08 am

Machoman121 wrote:I've got a Giant Defy SL 2 2015 - it's a disc bike that runs with 28mm max tyres but i'm using 25mm at the moment. We' ve recently moved to an estate next to bike paths and if i go left there's a bit of gravel to contend with. I'm currently using a 26inch hardtail converted rigid (rigid fork) to ride it if i go towards that.

I'm dreaming :lol: of another bike....more cyclocross/gravel which will take bigger tyres - is something like the Giant TCX SLR 2 offer enough of a difference to the Defy i already own?

How will the TCX ride differ from the Defy?
I have a 2013 Defy Adv0 for weekender use (25mm tyres) and a 2015 TCX SLR1 for commuting (28mm tyres, rack) and a euro tour I did from Copenhagen to Vienna. Apart from the obvious carbon vs ally frame, Ultegra Di2 v 105, rim vs hydro discs - the biggest difference I find is the TCX feels like it rides a frame size bigger.

I was very surprised when I rode it the first time how really nice it goes and how well 105 shifts. It might not be quite as smooth in the frame but with larger tyres that counteracts it a bit anyway. Mine had 32mm knobbles on it as stock but there is heaps of room for wider should you get the need for your gravel section, but you probably wouldn't need to. It will feel different from your Defy for sure, but since both are dropbar bikes depends what you want/need to feel different from the Defy.

It will certainly do the job you're after well and they are a nice ride.

Machoman121

Re: Ho w does the Giant TCX SLR 2 ride?

Postby Machoman121 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Is the TCX's bottom bracket noticeably higher from the ground than the Defy? Does it affect one's riding's stability - i'm not clearing any logs or such.....