Dirty Gran Fondo

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby danny the boy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:44 am

Anyone ever done one of these? One coming up in Gembrook (vic) next weekend (17/9) and considering if its worth the entrance fee. Have ridden around there before and enjoyed it, biggest problem was filling bidons out there so something like this could be the go, have no interest in the race part. Used to do a few rec ride events but got a bit over them, what kind of numbers do they get, how organised is it?

Calvin27
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 am

DGF is one of my favorite events. The folk are freindly and the feed stops are well stocked. At one of them they had an espresso machine lugged all the way 50km at the half way point. A few will race it and they will be quick but the majorty of the folks are just having a fun ride out of it, albeit they are mostly still super fit and fast!
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby cancan64 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:51 am

I reckon they would be a lot of fun. I wanted to do this http://www.karioiclassic.org.nz/ but had a better offer that weekend but will keep an eye out next year
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

macca33
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby macca33 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:30 pm

I did Gembrook DGF last year and am signed up for this year too - it is a grouse day out. The course is challenging in parts, with some fairly steep pinches, but it is great fun and there are some VERY quick descents!

If the weather is as good as it was last year, it'll be grouse. If it rains, it'll be a slog!!! Hahaha

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

Calvin27
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:00 pm

One year the DGF Wandong had heavy rain the week prior. A few of the botoom of the hills had huge puddles (knee deep). Certainly made it more fun, especially after you've just fallen in and there are another few riders blasting full speed so as to keep the speed going back up haha!
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

User avatar
athman
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Glen Waverley, Melbourne

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby athman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:41 am

I've never done a dirt event before either, so I entered the 50k event just to see what its like. I'm taking my normal road bike but swapping touring tyres on to it, just to get a bit of tyre tread for the dirt. I won't be going at race pace but I expect to have a lot of fun regardless.

Calvin27
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:15 am

athman wrote:I've never done a dirt event before either, so I entered the 50k event just to see what its like. I'm taking my normal road bike but swapping touring tyres on to it, just to get a bit of tyre tread for the dirt. I won't be going at race pace but I expect to have a lot of fun regardless.


I'd recommend not taking your road bike assuming it's a typical road bike (caliper brakes and no more than 28c tyres).

I rekon you'd need at least v or canti brakes (discs are better) and about 33c tyres.
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

macca33
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby macca33 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
athman wrote:I've never done a dirt event before either, so I entered the 50k event just to see what its like. I'm taking my normal road bike but swapping touring tyres on to it, just to get a bit of tyre tread for the dirt. I won't be going at race pace but I expect to have a lot of fun regardless.


I'd recommend not taking your road bike assuming it's a typical road bike (caliper brakes and no more than 28c tyres).

I rekon you'd need at least v or canti brakes (discs are better) and about 33c tyres.



Agreed - you simply won't get enough tyre on a road bike...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

User avatar
athman
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Glen Waverley, Melbourne

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby athman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Meh. I've tested the setup and it works fine on gravel. I'm not playing for sheep stations, just having a fun ride. If it rains I'll stay home, if its dry I'll ride.

Calvin27
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:42 pm

athman wrote:Meh. I've tested the setup and it works fine on gravel.


It's not exactly gravel. Have you done DGF before, or riddent wandong/gembrook course before? I'd strongly recommend you at least to a test run for a shorter loop of the course. These are pretty choppy fire roads, and if you are thinking it will be lilydale-warburton style paths, think again. It's more or a mt dandenong back roads or O'shaughnessey trail type terrain. I defniately wouldn't be putting my road bike through that!
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby danny the boy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Any Gembrook locals around here that might be able to give an update how wet it got up there this week? Weatherzone says 85mm of rain this week at Ferny Creek. :(


Gravel grinders have a ride coming up at Mt Dandy next weekend, Ive never done one of theirs but those that have say they are fun, no entry cost, but you dont know where you are going till you get there. http://melbournegravelgrinders.blogspot.com.au/p/18-classic-hits-sunday-september-25-2016.html

dalai47
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby dalai47 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:12 pm

danny the boy wrote:Gravel grinders have a ride coming up at Mt Dandy next weekend, Ive never done one of theirs but those that have say they are fun, no entry cost, but you dont know where you are going till you get there. http://melbournegravelgrinders.blogspot.com.au/p/18-classic-hits-sunday-september-25-2016.html


Have done one - was good. 8)

macca33
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby macca33 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:15 pm

danny the boy wrote:Any Gembrook locals around here that might be able to give an update how wet it got up there this week? Weatherzone says 85mm of rain this week at Ferny Creek. :(


Gravel grinders have a ride coming up at Mt Dandy next weekend, Ive never done one of theirs but those that have say they are fun, no entry cost, but you dont know where you are going till you get there. http://melbournegravelgrinders.blogspot.com.au/p/18-classic-hits-sunday-september-25-2016.html



There's been a fair bit of rain, but the trails/roads are fairly sound. They posted a couple of videos on Facebook tonight, where they indicate the course is in fairly good nick. Gonna be a good (wet) day out!!!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby danny the boy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:14 pm

macca33 wrote:
danny the boy wrote:Any Gembrook locals around here that might be able to give an update how wet it got up there this week? Weatherzone says 85mm of rain this week at Ferny Creek. :(


Gravel grinders have a ride coming up at Mt Dandy next weekend, Ive never done one of theirs but those that have say they are fun, no entry cost, but you dont know where you are going till you get there. http://melbournegravelgrinders.blogspot.com.au/p/18-classic-hits-sunday-september-25-2016.html



There's been a fair bit of rain, but the trails/roads are fairly sound. They posted a couple of videos on Facebook tonight, where they indicate the course is in fairly good nick. Gonna be a good (wet) day out!!!

cheers


Yeah I saw those videos on their website yesterday arvo and woke up this morning and the weather radar didnt look too bad so took the plunge. No false advertising, it was dirty, dirty, dirty. Have been off the bike a bit the last few months and have been starting to build up again, havent done a ride this hard for 6 months. Have spent the last 2 hours cleaning my bike and gear, was filthy. Was a bit squishy in a few spots, especially the climb up to the first break stop, the espresso machine in the middle of nowhere was a god send. Just under 4hrs riding time I'm happy with, there was a lot of uphill in 75k's, and I need to get fitter.

macca33
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Dirty Gran Fondo

Postby macca33 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:28 pm

danny the boy wrote:Yeah I saw those videos on their website yesterday arvo and woke up this morning and the weather radar didnt look too bad so took the plunge. No false advertising, it was dirty, dirty, dirty. Have been off the bike a bit the last few months and have been starting to build up again, havent done a ride this hard for 6 months. Have spent the last 2 hours cleaning my bike and gear, was filthy. Was a bit squishy in a few spots, especially the climb up to the first break stop, the espresso machine in the middle of nowhere was a god send. Just under 4hrs riding time I'm happy with, there was a lot of uphill in 75k's, and I need to get fitter.



Great work mate. I rode with a couple of underdone blokes, so we missed the cut-off for the 75Km and 50Km had to suffice. In retrospect, I was okay with it, as it was a VERY dirty old day, which got colder as we went! It was a great turnout, given the conditions.

The very long and steep descent after feedzone 1 tested the cantilever brakes out on the CX and was the only time my mates flew past me - on 29'ers! Not to mention the climb to feedzone 1 - leaning right back over the back wheel to try and maintain traction in the gluepot at 18-20%

Like you, I spent 2 hours to clean everything up, but i will be back for my third run at it next year!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users